Larry Scotts Play Calling

It's Butch's offense.

Unless Butch stops being stubborn and makes changes, new OCs won't make a difference.

Agree that it's Butch's offense, but the OC has an important part to play in having a feel for the flow of the game, calling plays to try to take advantage of defensive weaknesses.

Just read this same article. I am no coach, but it sure seems that we are being very simplistic in our play calling with no imagination or creativity. Just plain vanilla plays that are easily recognizable and easy to defend, and Kelly is basically getting all his yards on his own. With no passing attack, Ga. having one of the best defenses in the country, there is not a good outcome that can be expected Saturday.

I've yet to see in my 50 years of following NCAA football a running back who gets yardage on his own...ever... well maybe Hershel Walker but other than that.... not one....

Reactions: 1 person
:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2: UT isn't. They are running the west coast spread. The option is in the play book... along with hundreds of other plays that someone like QD can execute very well. There are LOTS of teams successfully running a very similar O without a running QB. UGA runs out of a shotgun spread a good bit of the time. Bama did even when they had some statues at QB.

I agree that UT should incorporate more plays from under center. I think it helps in a lot of different ways... but just because you line up in the shotgun doesn't mean you are a spread option team.

I think I've agreed with you on this before but you are spot on....what we do pre-snap really has very little to do with the offense we try to run. Very few people understand this...

Really, don't give the Russel Wilson line.

Threw from the 1 not once but twice.

There is simply no reason for it

We did not throw from the 1 twice. Get your facts straight. When you come on here bashing coaches and dont even get the scenarios right it makes you look stupid. Just sayin.

If you hire a well known well respected proven offensive coordinator and the offense fails, (provided the talent is there) the problem will obviously be the head coach. Hence the reason there was no well known, well respected proven offensive coordinator hired. All my opinion, btw.

I'm wondering if the same is not true for the DC.

Against Florida we run a couple of deception plays out of the WR screen formation...one variation was to hit another WR on the same side on a slant - we ran it twice and made a nice gain on the completion (the other was incomplete due to pressure on the QB). Another one was to hit the TE on a curl about 10 yards downfield - ran it once and picked up 10 yards and a first down. The other one I noticed was the fake WR screen with another receiver on the same side doing a down and then slant but the receiver broke outside instead of inside - would have been a TD...

I know much of the play calling is vanilla but those plays (and I'm sure I missed others) were nice deception plays built off those boring vanilla plays...

I prefer power to deception but that's just my preference...give me William Howard leading the way and I'm good...

The problem is that the playcalling is too predictable. Defenders know what is coming based on our formations.

What do the amount of points scored have to do with Dormady's poor passing ability under Butch's system?

From the article OrangeBloodKnepp linked above...

Dobbs was actually keeping the ball in the RPO plays when they fell apart, Dormady doesn't and from a passing standpoint, the offense looks just like it did under Worley, who averaged 6.3 YPA.
Why are you so antagonistic? I'm fairly certain the whole point of an offense is to score points.

This thread is about Larry Scott's play calling and the number of points scored per game is a relevant statistic. You obviously like to point to stats, I simply shared one that shows we are close to the same average as last year's offense that set records.

Last edited:
Anyone who's played Tecmo Bowl knows this. Butch is only a few years older than me, surely he played it at Ferris State. Seems many times like we have 4 plays in the book, so as I write this I am becoming more and more uneasy...

Ok, at the first statement I thought the above post was going to be sarcasm. However after reading it in its entirety...

Please tell me you aren't seriously suggesting our playbook should mimic a video game.

We did not throw from the 1 twice. Get your facts straight. When you come on here bashing coaches and dont even get the scenarios right it makes you look stupid. Just sayin.

Unfortunately, JG and/or JJ caused the illegal procedure that put us in the 2nd & 6. Still think we should've definitely been running on 1st down (no audible) but since we got into 2nd and 3rd down and 6, that probably forced LS hand to call pass plays both downs. We'll never know but had we not gotten the penalty, LS probably would've been running on 2nd & 3rd downs

The agenda is to throw scott under the bus?

Butch were not falling for this time.😉

Hire another secretary to run the offense. Please make it a hot secretary too. If we're going to have to watch you throw up on yourself each week. At least give us something nice to look at.

Nope.

The agenda is to run this staff into the ground so we can hurry up and get a shiny new coach who is certain to be better than Saban and win multiple National Championships within 5 years.

Ridiculous I know but it is what it is.

Some have decided that this staff is a bunch of idiots and should be fired immediately.

You can't provide an answer because there is no justifiable reason for not giving it to Kelly in that situation. Florida stacked the box all game long, and it still didn't stop Kelly from making plays. Since you love to defend Butch and his idiotic decisions so much, you can follow him on his way out the door if it makes you feel better.

Florida did not put 9 in the box all game.

However when we were on the 1/2 yard line they did.

It's all related to poor coaching, development, and lack of preparation from this staff. The playcalling isn't spectacular by no means, but it's more related to execution where we struggle most. Which again, shows a clear problem in this staff's ability to have the team ready to play week to week.

This I agree with.

Lack of execution is a direct reflection of poor use of practice time. At least it is when you have equal or better athletes. Often times it is difficult to execute against superior athleticism.

That isn't the case with UT outside of Colton Jumper. Most of his missed tackles are simply a matter of genetics. Personally I think Jumper has worked his ass off and deserves tons of praise but sometimes you're out of your league.

It's all related to poor coaching, development, and lack of preparation from this staff. The playcalling isn't spectacular by no means, but it's more related to execution where we struggle most. Which again, shows a clear problem in this staff's ability to have the team ready to play week to week.

This is exactly my point! Too many posters on here think that if certain plays are called, the OL magically blocks like madmen, Dormady becomes Brett Favre and the WRs dont drop passes.

Everyone watching from the stands (or on TV) knows better than a guy who has been in the business for years. I'm glad you guys aren't looking over my shoulder at work.

Wait a second... Scott TOLD US in Spring Practice that this was an offense that he was going to "put his stamp" on.

Well... Good job.

:banghead2::banghead2::banghead2: UT isn't. They are running the west coast spread. The option is in the play book... along with hundreds of other plays that someone like QD can execute very well. There are LOTS of teams successfully running a very similar O without a running QB. UGA runs out of a shotgun spread a good bit of the time. Bama did even when they had some statues at QB.

I agree that UT should incorporate more plays from under center. I think it helps in a lot of different ways... but just because you line up in the shotgun doesn't mean you are a spread option team.

Thanks, didn't know that. All I know is what I continue to see, just like last year with Dobbs: the QB in the shotgun with one RB standing up straight right next to him. I question the effectiveness of that this year with a pocket passer.

What gets me is that, this is Butch's Offense and that's why all other OC's turned him down in the offseason..... But if Butch is sooo stuck on running this offense, then, WHY DOESN"T HE CALL HIS OWN PLAYS, like Mike Leach, Bobby Petrino, Jimbo Fisher as they believe in their system and won't allow others to call the plays

Butch needs someone else to call his plays so that he can replace them at some point and live to see another season. We are now on OC number 3. He's a sly one, that Butch.

What gets me is that, this is Butch's Offense and that's why all other OC's turned him down in the offseason..... But if Butch is sooo stuck on running this offense, then, WHY DOESN"T HE CALL HIS OWN PLAYS, like Mike Leach, Bobby Petrino, Jimbo Fisher as they believe in their system and won't allow others to call the plays

Mid-game blood pressure

I don't know if anyone tracks this statistically, but it seems like we run 90% of the time on first down. It also sounds like we get behind on down and distance we almost always pass.

I think we need more balance on first down. If I'm catching on to this, I'm sure the rest of the SEC has too. Umass especially seemed to bear down on the run on first down.

I don't know if anyone tracks this statistically, but it seems like we run 90% of the time on first down. It also sounds like we get behind on down and distance we almost always pass.

I think we need more balance on first down. If I'm catching on to this, I'm sure the rest of the SEC has too. Umass especially seemed to bear down on the run on first down.
I said the same thing last week when watching the game and is part of my frustration with Scott. Run, Run, pass when it's 3rd and long. That's just a feeling without having looked at the stats. But I agree we need to break tendencies. Throwing successfully on 1st down opens up the run game. I have no problem running on first down when we are successful as it subsequently opens up the passing attack, but we struggled mightily last week running on first down.

VN Store

Back