Larry Scotts Play Calling

tennfanatic

I hate to be a Nega Vol here but how in the hell did he get the offensive coordinator position? I've not seen play calling this bad since Dave Clawson in 2008. It blows my mind that Butch would give him this position with zero offensive coordinator experience. Again it shows just how clueless Butch is at "being the caretaker" of this school. I feel like our play calling so far has been very bad. Butch could have hired multiple people with more experience and a better resume. I'm beginning to wonder if Butch is actively trying to get fired, so we can buy out the rest of his contract and he can coach at Illinois or some other bad big 10 school.

Reactions: 6 people
I hate to be a Nega Vol here but how in the hell did he get the offensive coordinator position? I've not seen play calling this bad since Dave Clawson in 2008. It blows my mind that Butch would give him this position with zero offensive coordinator experience. Again it shows just how clueless Butch is at "being the caretaker" of this school. I feel like our play calling so far has been very bad. Butch could have hired multiple people with more experience and a better resume. I'm beginning to wonder if Butch is actively trying to get fired, so we can buy out the rest of his contract and he can coach at Illinois or some other bad big 10 school.

You realize our #1 RB stats are real close to Saquon Barkley stats that is leading the Heisman race right?

Reactions: 6 people
He's running Butch's offense, same as Debord, but without Josh Dobbs' legs to gloss over the ugliness.

Reactions: 30 people
Not familiar with the writer, but Ian Boyd had an interesting piece on the offensive troubles

Just read this same article. I am no coach, but it sure seems that we are being very simplistic in our play calling with no imagination or creativity. Just plain vanilla plays that are easily recognizable and easy to defend, and Kelly is basically getting all his yards on his own. With no passing attack, Ga. having one of the best defenses in the country, there is not a good outcome that can be expected Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people
No one in their right mind would try to get fired from a job that pays $3.4M annually. Some coaches fire themselves.

There has been a few suspect plays called in the first four games but what stands out to me is the terrible execution of plays that could have worked. Passes three feet over a receivers head, dropped passes, bad snaps, bad blocking, bad ball security and lack of effort.

Reactions: 12 people
Just read this same article. I am no coach, but it sure seems that we are being very simplistic in our play calling with no imagination or creativity. Just plain vanilla plays that are easily recognizable and easy to defend, and Kelly is basically getting all his yards on his own. With no passing attack, Ga. having one of the best defenses in the country, there is not a good outcome that can be expected Saturday.

I agree. I think it's going to be difficult moving the ball

Not impressed but to be fair he has a new qb and jones system so who knows what the man could really do.

Reactions: 1 person

Was it really Dave Clawson that was bad or was it that our player's were not smart enough to understand it? He wasn't that bad at Bowling Green nor Wake..

It's Butch's offense.

Unless Butch stops being stubborn and makes changes, new OCs won't make a difference.

Reactions: 3 people
Not familiar with the writer, but Ian Boyd had an interesting piece on the offensive troubles

He's one of the writers for Barking Carnival (Texas's SBNation blog) for SBNation. He writes for College Football Studyhall for SBNation which is part film breakdown, part scheme breakdown, and some other stuff to help understand the topic at hand.

There has been a few suspect plays called in the first four games but what stands out to me is the terrible execution of plays that could have worked. Passes three feet over a receivers head, dropped passes, bad snaps, bad blocking, bad ball security and lack of effort.

I agree with you most drives have stalled because of lack of execution not the play calling.

Reactions: 9 people
He's running Butch's offense, same as Debord, but without Josh Dobbs' legs to gloss over the ugliness.

I disagree. In the past weve seen a lot of WR screens. Dont think ive seen more than 2 or 3 this season. Also havent seen any trick plays which we typically see against big opponents.

You realize our #1 RB stats are real close to Saquon Barkley stats that is leading the Heisman race right?

You realize we didn't give it to our #1 RB even once on the goal line against Florida 2 weeks ago? JK is a phenomenal athlete on his own, and that has nothing to do with Scott or Butch. If anything they're handicapping him.

He's one of the writers for Barking Carnival (Texas's SBNation blog) for SBNation. He writes for College Football Studyhall for SBNation which is part film breakdown, part scheme breakdown, and some other stuff to help understand the topic at hand.

Ok thanks for info

Play calling does need to improve for sure. The O line could also help Scott out by actually blocking too. The O line play in the UMASS game was one of the worst efforts I have ever seen considering the opponent. Butch took a big risk hiring Scott instead of hiring a proven OC.

His play calling doesn't look any different when Butch got Michigan's DIVE TEAM'S SECRETARY to call plays....

Still don't understand how he didn't get fired then.

It don't matter who calls plays this is all Butch's train wreck.

He did a great job getting talent here. Thanks here is a big buyout, now all of you hit the pavement.

Why everyone so down on Scott? The coach can only do so much. I said this numerous of times I believe that the offense is simplified because the wr's are struggling. Week 5 Callaway only have 8 catches for the season. Palmer 4 catches, Josh Smith 3 catches maybe, George 2 catches and then you have Brandon has 18 catches...that's kind of crazy. Kelly balling but, u don't have a passing game. I don't know maybe certain wr's are limited to what they can do, so that's why the play calling is the way it is..

Why everyone so down on Scott? The coach can only do so much. I said this numerous of times I believe that the offense is simplified because the wr's are struggling. Week 5 Callaway only have 8 catches for the season. Palmer 4 catches, Josh Smith 3 catches maybe, George 2 catches and then you have Brandon has 18 catches...that's kind of crazy. Kelly balling but, u don't have a passing game. I don't know maybe certain wr's are limited to what they can do, so that's why the play calling is the way it is..

The offensive performance from the UMASS game has a lot to do with it. Could have been a Florida loss hangover but their play was very poor.

Ooorrrrrr the play calling is what it is because they run a vanilla, non-imaginative, boring offense or because Scott doesn't know what he is doing.

If the WR are struggling then why are we throwing the ball 11 times in the red zone???

It is simple. Butch was too scared to hire a big name like Helfrich because any great press about our offense would be on Helfrich and not Butch. Also, Butch loves to micromanage.

VN Store

Back