If things don't work out for Butch....

What about Larry Scott for HC, Gillespie for OC, Hoke or Chavis for DC, and fill in the rest of the staff from there. I know when a coach is fired that typically means his staff goes too. I don't think the administration at UT will ever spend a lot for a splash hire. So the next best thing would be to just promote current staff and keep some form of consistency. I really like what I have seen with Scott's vanilla offense so far. I think Gillespie is a great coach, and move Hoke to DC or beg Chavis to come back.

What the hell has Larry Scott shown that would make you want him? Are you trying to keep the mediocre period alive and well at Tennessee??

IF we have an opening and cannot land Chip Kelley then we probably need to suck it up and see if there's a way we can get Tee back into the fold. Hard for me to post that, but he may be our best prospect with UTK connection. Don't think JBC will leave NFL at this point.

Reactions: 1 person
IF we have an opening and cannot land Chip Kelley then we probably need to suck it up and see if there's a way we can get Tee back into the fold. Hard for me to post that, but he may be our best prospect with UTK connection. Don't think JBC will leave NFL at this point.

I'm interested to keep up with his offense this year. I think if you did have a change, my realistic contact list would be:

1. Chip Kelly (Gotta ask if he is unemployed)
2. Justin Fuente
3. Take the chance on Tee

I can't think of another realistic candidate that is a head coach that I would want. There is nothing wrong with just having this general discussion. I don't know why some of you get bent out of shape. Hell you never know when they might suddenly be fired, jump ship, or retire.

Next time you are looking for a distraction, cut a fart in a paper bag and then pop it at Church. Otherwise, I recommend avoiding the blatantly absurd.

If things dont work out for Butch that means things didnt work out for UT which is not something i want at all so hopefully things WILL work out for Butch.

Hopefully

Tee Martin isn't coming back to UT and none of the current coaching staff is anyone I would want to take a chance on right now. If Butch doesn't make it, you go lay $8 million at Petrino's feet and get him down here. Go big or go home! But for some inexplicable reason, we prefer to just go home and that's the way the UTBOT wants it.

Think back on our hires. The last "name" this university hired was Johnny Majors. Wouldn't get my hopes up.

We'd go the K State route and bring Fulmer back before we went big name.

Tennessee put out a lot of money for Kiffin and his staff. I would guess Jones and his staff are paid in the top fifteen in the country if not top ten.

Yeah definitely bring in a big name hire like chip Kelly "if" Butch doesn't work out. I'm afraid if we keep settling for coaches we'll be 8-4 7-6 for a long time. It won't be long and for sure we'll see if Butch can bring us back to competing for sec championships. But we need to get our edge back and neyland to be be feared again by everyone in the sec! I like Butch but I'm not sure he instills fear into opposing programs that come into Neyland?

Last edited:
Tee Martin isn't coming back to UT and none of the current coaching staff is anyone I would want to take a chance on right now. If Butch doesn't make it, you go lay $8 million at Petrino's feet and get him down here. Go big or go home! But for some inexplicable reason, we prefer to just go home and that's the way the UTBOT wants it.

Petrino ain't happening. His contract is almost as toxic as the man himself. He has the highest buyout in college football unless something has changed in the last couple of years.

And Tee Martin would trip over himself to take the HC job if it were offered. He wouldn't come back as a coordinator though.

Petrino isn't big unless your expectations of NCAA sanctions are what you call big.

Should've hired him in 2012.

laugh all you want, but 2 and 3 are realistic. All 3 are a damn upgrade.

No they aren't. Why would you want Fuente? Butch beat him last year badly. Tee Martin has never been a HC. Isn't leaving the West Coast.

And Chip kelly near our program is like asking a thief to watch your ATM. No thank you.

Tennessee put out a lot of money for Kiffin and his staff. I would guess Jones and his staff are paid in the top fifteen in the country if not top ten.

Sorry...I must have misread. Thought we were talking UTs ability to attract and sign a "name" coach. If UT had the desire and/or ability, we would not have Dooley and Kiffin in our history. We went and grabbed a home boy with Majors and replaced him with another home boy in Fulmer. We've been reaching and overpaying since. Maybe the program is on more solid footing now and things will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it. As I said, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Vols should be doing a lot better in year 5 but they are not. Yeah they are 2-0 but the wheels will fall off soon. There is always something with Butch and this year is no different. If they keep him for year 6 then he will have another excuse next year. He is not winning the East and regardless of what people say that is the 1st goal every single year for Tennessee. 7-5 and 8-4 is embarrassing for Tennessee. People need to quit saying Butch has done better then Dooley. A middle schooler could have coached better then Dooley. I feel like the Tennessee program has the mentality of everyone gets a participation trophy where as Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc have the mentality of if you are not first then you are last. That's how Tennessee needs to be. Get rid of Butch and throw the bank at Chip Kelly or see if Bob Stoops would be interested. Butch could very well start off 0-4 in conference play.

No they aren't. Why would you want Fuente? Butch beat him last year badly. Tee Martin has never been a HC. Isn't leaving the West Coast.

And Chip kelly near our program is like asking a thief to watch your ATM. No thank you.

Do you think I care that Fuente lost to the most talented team Butch has ever had in his 1st year at VT? Let's see he turned around a memphis program that was a dump. Led them to a 10 win season, which was like the first time they had done that in over 80 years. Took VT to the ACC Championship his first year where he nearly defeated the eventual national champion. Why in the hell would you not want him? IMO, Tee will be an excellent Head coach one day. Again, my opinion. He's leaving the west coast for a HC job this year if it presents itself. His wife's career is overblown.
You wanting Butch over Chip Kelly speaks for itself.

I think Volnation should coach the team. On game day, we will vote via internet on the play and have a stooge on the side line call it in!

Since we will be scoring so many points, no sense in bothering with a defense. Not much better than that now anyways.

We can all take turns running practice during the week. Ill sign up for Monday, Oct. 7th, 2019.

VN Store

Back