If things don't work out for Butch....

Do you think I care that Fuente lost to the most talented team Butch has ever had in his 1st year at VT? Let's see he turned around a memphis program that was a dump. Led them to a 10 win season, which was like the first time they had done that in over 80 years. Took VT to the ACC Championship his first year where he nearly defeated the eventual national champion. Why in the hell would you not want him? IMO, Tee will be an excellent Head coach one day. Again, my opinion. He's leaving the west coast for a HC job this year if it presents itself. His wife's career is overblown.
You wanting Butch over Chip Kelly speaks for itself.

You wanting Chip Kelly speaks for itself.

In 50-something years, almost all of us who expect the Vols to win the SEC and compete for the natty every so often will be dead and gone and then you younger folks can bask in the glory of 8-win seasons and being better than Dooley to your hearts' content without having to endure our ruminations. Until then, we win or we get discussions like this thread.

Reactions: 1 person
What about Larry Scott for HC, Gillespie for OC, Hoke or Chavis for DC, and fill in the rest of the staff from there. I know when a coach is fired that typically means his staff goes too. I don't think the administration at UT will ever spend a lot for a splash hire. So the next best thing would be to just promote current staff and keep some form of consistency. I really like what I have seen with Scott's vanilla offense so far. I think Gillespie is a great coach, and move Hoke to DC or beg Chavis to come back.

0-4..i wouldn't bother sending any resumes in for AD positions open.

No they aren't. Why would you want Fuente? Butch beat him last year badly. Tee Martin has never been a HC. Isn't leaving the West Coast.

And Chip kelly near our program is like asking a thief to watch your ATM. No thank you.

uSQsZxS.gif

Vols should be doing a lot better in year 5 but they are not. Yeah they are 2-0 but the wheels will fall off soon. There is always something with Butch and this year is no different. If they keep him for year 6 then he will have another excuse next year. He is not winning the East and regardless of what people say that is the 1st goal every single year for Tennessee. 7-5 and 8-4 is embarrassing for Tennessee. People need to quit saying Butch has done better then Dooley. A middle schooler could have coached better then Dooley. I feel like the Tennessee program has the mentality of everyone gets a participation trophy where as Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc have the mentality of if you are not first then you are last. That's how Tennessee needs to be. Get rid of Butch and throw the bank at Chip Kelly or see if Bob Stoops would be interested. Butch could very well start off 0-4 in conference play.

First, I'm not embarrassed by any winning season. Historically, we run in the 8 win per year range. The 90s were the exception not the rule. We can get there from time to time but UT isn't going to be averaging 10 wins....just not.

I'm not a huge Butch fan but he has done a lot of good things since arriving and let's be honest...no established/name coach wanted anything to do with this job. To his credit, Butch was willing to tackle this huge rebuild and he's done a pretty decent job with it. He's also been willing to shake up the staff. Recruiting is going well. Anyone with some sense of reality knew this year would be challenging. I'm willing to give hi and Shoop another year regardless of how this season turns out. Changing coaches sets a program back....a lot. It's not like changing shoes. I see a lot of former superstar up and comer coaches struggling a bit. No sure thing. Better be careful what we wish for. Butch ain't that bad....at least to my eye.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought the Chavis thread was the rock bottom worst. Then, I opened this one.

No the Chavis thread is going to be hard to beat. Just goes to show what our fanbase really knows.

Thinking it is one thing, posting it is another.

Sorry...I must have misread. Thought we were talking UTs ability to attract and sign a "name" coach. If UT had the desire and/or ability, we would not have Dooley and Kiffin in our history. We went and grabbed a home boy with Majors and replaced him with another home boy in Fulmer. We've been reaching and overpaying since. Maybe the program is on more solid footing now and things will be different, but I'll believe it when I see it. As I said, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Hamilton thought Kiffin was a big name hire. Getting Monte Kiffin along with his son was thought to be a massive hire at the time.

About feeding a kid a hot dog not giving him 1000 bucks. Good grief.

Butch is atleast here through 2020. And quote me here so you can keep this close, he will get an extension this year. Enjoy it!

Well you just proved you have no idea why chip Kelly got into trouble with the ncaa so that's nice. If he is here through 2020...cool? Still doesn't change the fact that 2 of the 3 names I mentioned are better coaches, and the other will more than likely turn into one. But you keep doing you lad.

Do you think I care that Fuente lost to the most talented team Butch has ever had in his 1st year at VT? Let's see he turned around a memphis program that was a dump. Led them to a 10 win season, which was like the first time they had done that in over 80 years. Took VT to the ACC Championship his first year where he nearly defeated the eventual national champion. Why in the hell would you not want him.

The question is could we get him?

He is presently more qualified for the job than Butch was when Butch arrived.

I think it's about a 99% certainty Butch is here through the end of 2018....

So it would take a drastic collapse for Butch to get fired, like 2-6 SEC only beating Kentucky & Missouri and lose a bowl game.

Ever if VT regresses this year and you're Fuentes... Do you really want this job?

The question is could we get him?

He is presently more qualified for the job than Butch was when Butch arrived.

I think it's about a 99% certainty Butch is here through the end of 2018....

So it would take a drastic collapse for Butch to get fired, like 2-6 SEC only beating Kentucky & Missouri and lose a bowl game.

Ever if VT regresses this year and you're Fuentes... Do you really want this job?

I think it's highly possible. Tennessee is definitely a step up.

What about Larry Scott for HC, Gillespie for OC, Hoke or Chavis for DC, and fill in the rest of the staff from there. I know when a coach is fired that typically means his staff goes too. I don't think the administration at UT will ever spend a lot for a splash hire. So the next best thing would be to just promote current staff and keep some form of consistency. I really like what I have seen with Scott's vanilla offense so far. I think Gillespie is a great coach, and move Hoke to DC or beg Chavis to come back.

Jesus Christ....Butch is our coach, there would have to be a huge issue before he's getting fired. Let the man do his work.

I think it's highly possible. Tennessee is definitely a step up.

I would agree with that, but what people sometimes ignore is the degree of difficulty in the respective jobs not to mention expectations. He's getting $3.75 mil I think. Butch is what...4.1? Butch has a rabid fan base that expects 10 win seasons and titles. They also have the big red elephant in the room every year that the fans always want to chase. While their conference is much improved, I'd argue that the UT job is a tougher row to hoe. When you're making over 3 mil per year, one has to ask....is it worth it?

Chavis just surrendered 35 points in a quarter and a half. Just say no to prevent chavis!

Reactions: 2 people

You and all of the VN whiners would be calling for Scott's head before midseason. Book it!!!!!

I would agree with that, but what people sometimes ignore is the degree of difficulty in the respective jobs not to mention expectations. He's getting $3.75 mil I think. Butch is what...4.1? Butch has a rabid fan base that expects 10 win seasons and titles. They also have the big red elephant in the room every year that the fans always want to chase. While their conference is much improved, I'd argue that the UT job is a tougher row to hoe. When you're making over 3 mil per year, one has to ask....is it worth it?

You bring up valid points. VT is a much safer job to stay at. Good money and historically lesser competition. But, he strikes me as a guy that would like a challenge of competing in college football's premier conference. Money has a lot of fine details that can be worked around. His current salary totals $3.2 Million. He is certainly worth the gamble of the 4.25 - 4.5 range. But, VT would certainly match. Here is where I think we could be more attractive. Offer a higher salary pool for assistants and a higher allowance for recruiting services. so on and so on. Would also be a short move. Maybe 4-5 hours? Facilities are better. State recruiting is comparable. Fan support is great. No state income tax (not sure if Virginia has one).

VN Store

Back