If things don't work out for Butch....

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAK6AAAAJGNiODlmM2Y5LWRhM2YtNGY1YS1iODViLWI0ZDg1YjExODU0YQ.jpg

This whole current top 5 recruiting class malarkey is a complete red herring. Look on Rivals at our 2016 class that was rated 15 and considered a disappointment after 2014 and 2015. The 2017 class is almost identical in terms of numbers and average star ratings. Unless we pile on some additional 5* recruits, this class will not finish in the top 10 and even if it somehow does finish that high, we have a head coach who couldn't win the East with two top 5 classes on his roster while the rest of the division was down.

Reactions: 3 people
Thing is....they won't do either one. As long as the seats are full, our administration is totally committed to the almighty dollar, and Butch is going nowhere.Football is a cash cow in this state. The fans have proven 8-9 wins and a bowl game is enough. Furthermore, they aren't forward thinking enough to take the risk on spending big money, even if the potential payoff is worth it. They are not high-risk investors like the Administration at Bama. We value different things apparently.

I think the committee being built by Fulmer and some former players is about to change all of that

Reactions: 2 people
I think this weekend will play some part in Butch's future at UTK. UF is down and missing two their best players on offense. The storms have probably distracted them somewhat from their regular preparations. The Vols should be able to go down there and easily win this game. I'd consider it an upset if UF wins this year. If UF wins convincingly, then I question whether we can beat VU and SC this seasons. If we win, we're probably looking at 9-3 worst case.

If Florida wins the game without question, and VU beats K State this weekend, I will not be surprised to see Butch go 2-3 against VU. Vandy actually looks alright... like their coaches are developing the players who have lesser talent in comparison to the rest of the conference. I do think Vandy beats K State and their game vs. Bama next week will be #1 vs. #25.

If VU is ranked under DM, look for his name to show up on numerous search lists.

CDM seems to have gotten his act together since becoming head coach and barely being able to get a coherent sentence out when in front of a microphone. Looks like he's learned on the job and improving at a place where losing and apathy is the norm. Recruiting is also way up for their standards. Wouldn't mind seeing him use Vandy as the stepping stone it is and launch a career elsewhere like James Franklin.

Dear lord, this is Tennessee. Hire an actual name in coaching if you're going to fire Butch. This thread doubled down on stupid.

Think back on our hires. The last "name" this university hired was Johnny Majors. Wouldn't get my hopes up.

We'd go the K State route and bring Fulmer back before we went big name.

Last edited:
Obviously if we axe the Butcher, we should bring back Dave Clawson, only this time, let's bring him back as HC, because hiring a head coach with a career losing record has never failed for us before! Who wouldn't want to run the Clawfense for years and years and years? We could even bring back Sunseri to be our defensive coordinator! Think of the possibilities!

No. If Butch doesn't work out, and that's a big "if" right now, we would want to move in a different direction than our same coaches.

* This...

You want "Consistency" when you have a Hall-of-Fame Coach retire...

If someone "doesn't work out"...you clean house.

What about Larry Scott for HC, Gillespie for OC, Hoke or Chavis for DC, and fill in the rest of the staff from there. I know when a coach is fired that typically means his staff goes too. I don't think the administration at UT will ever spend a lot for a splash hire. So the next best thing would be to just promote current staff and keep some form of consistency. I really like what I have seen with Scott's vanilla offense so far. I think Gillespie is a great coach, and move Hoke to DC or beg Chavis to come back.

Why do we continue to do this? Butch is 2-0. We play a weak Florida team this weekend that we can absolutely beat, and we have Georgia and South Carolina both in Neyland this year, so we are certainly in the running to win those games as well. That gives us the East title and we're playing in the SEC Championship game. And don't say it can't happen or that I'm being a sunshine pumper. We were supposed to win the East last year but somebody else popped up and did in unexpectedly. No reason that we can't this year. Let's lose a few before we start the annual coaching change conversations.

Butch is not on the hot seat. He will be the coach for at least two more years no matter what happens this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch is not on the hot seat. He will be the coach for at least two more years no matter what happens this year.

And even if he does get fired, he's got a truck load of cash waiting for him at his door step.

Let's not act like Butch will he doomed either way.

There's another possibility out there. It's obvious from the campaigning and the agent switch, that Butch badly wants a new contract. If he doesn't do something impressive this season, Currie probably will not be in a position to offer Butch what he wants in terms of additional guaranteed years. There are other schools in need of a rebuild that may be willing to give Butch what he wants and pay the buyout.

Definitely the rest of this season and next for sure. He would have to have an epic collapse for the rest of this season and next before I see UT Admin making a move. I believe there was an interview where Currie basically said CBJ was in good shape. The GA Tech win was huge. Already 2-0 and with UMASS, Southern Miss, Mizzou and KY left on the schedule he can to 6 pretty easy. SC and Vandy looking like tough games, but could get to 8 wins if we take care of them. Obviously the FL, GA, Bama and LSU games will be tough to win this year, but steal one of those and we get to 9 again in a year that we were supposed to be a little down. Keep adding top recruiting classes and he can keep it going for awhile and get a new contract.

What about Larry Scott for HC, Gillespie for OC, Hoke or Chavis for DC, and fill in the rest of the staff from there. I know when a coach is fired that typically means his staff goes too. I don't think the administration at UT will ever spend a lot for a splash hire. So the next best thing would be to just promote current staff and keep some form of consistency. I really like what I have seen with Scott's vanilla offense so far. I think Gillespie is a great coach, and move Hoke to DC or beg Chavis to come back.

Not to be mean but if Larry Scott is our best option at HC, then we have bigger problems than Butch Jones being fired

Also did you not watch TAMU blow that lead against UCLA? Why would you want Chavis back? He's gone, get over it.

He's already had top recruiting classes. If he wants a better contract, he has to earn it on game days at this point.

Chip Kelly !!! If u don't think he can coach look up LaMicheal James and Darron Thomas

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back