Why Are So Many American Men Such Goobers?

Batman is now a Brit (or was, hell I don't know anymore). ****ing Batman!

It would be like an American actor playing James Bond.

And Jude Law played a Confederate soldier in Cold Mountain, and Nicole Kidman his little squeeze.

What the ef's up with that!

You know, funny thing. My mom is from the mountains of North Carolina. She has been asked multiple times if she's foreign and an Irish guy she met when she was working as a ships doctor on a cruise could swear she was Irish but 15-20 years removed.

Point is, in reality, Jude Law probably could play a more convincing NC mountaineer from the mid-1800s than anyone from the west coast or Northeast could.

Accents in western NC are weird.

You know, funny thing. My mom is from the mountains of North Carolina. She has been asked multiple times if she's foreign and an Irish guy she met when she was working as a ships doctor on a cruise could swear she was Irish but 15-20 years removed.

Point is, in reality, Jude Law probably could play a more convincing NC mountaineer from the mid-1800s than anyone from the west coast or Northeast could.

Accents in western NC are weird.

I too come from the western realms of the strange Land of Caroline. I've had students ask me where I'm from on multiple occasions. Several have asked if it is Scotland, Ireland, England, pretty much been through the entire British Isles.

I thought these were relatively goofy questions, but your mother experiencing the same gives me some pause.

Beats me.

Why does a British actor playing Batman matter so much? Or Jude Law playing a Civil War vet? I seriously think volprof is losing it the past few weeks.

Now that I've hit 30, I'm going senile and loopy in my old age.

I too come from the western realms of the strange Land of Caroline. I've had students ask me where I'm from on multiple occasions. Several have asked if it is Scotland, Ireland, England, pretty much been through the entire British Isles.

I thought these were relatively goofy questions, but your mother experiencing the same gives me some pause.

It's pretty easy to see why.

It was a very ethnically homogenous group (almost entirely Ulster Scots) that moved to WNC and they stayed there in relative isolation for decades. This gave rise to a unique twang that has more recognizable elements that reflect ethnicity than most areas in the US would still have.

I would wager you might know some of my family names.

It's pretty easy to see why.

It was a very ethnically homogenous group (almost entirely Ulster Scots) that moved to WNC and they stayed there in relative isolation for decades. This gave rise to a unique twang that has more recognizable elements that reflect ethnicity than most areas in the US would still have.

I would wager you might know some of my family names.

Actually attended the Scottish Games at Maryville College just this last weekend. LOTS of Scotch/Irish ancestry in the TN hills.

Anything is better than Val Kilmer and batman nipples.

val-kilmer-remember-when-i-was-batman.jpeg

Reactions: 2 people
Political correctness ...... The feminization of the American male..... They go hand in hand....

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is a travesty to anyone who has actually read the books, but the femi-men of hollywood probably couldn't understand that any more than their sisterhood could understand a myriad of other things.

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is a travesty to anyone who has actually read the books, but the femi-men of hollywood probably couldn't understand that any more than their sisterhood could understand a myriad of other things.

Agreed 100%. Terrible choice.

Only thing worse than the feminization of America are the uber-macho douchebags who overcompensate in every single facet of social interaction/status.

Reactions: 9 people
Mad men mad at Mad Max for having mad women · Newswire · The A.V. Club

This article strikes a chord with me and ought to strike a chord with our resident "women beat on men all the time - wah wah" poster on here as well.

Why are we such little schoolboys when it comes to women?

The late American literary critic, Leslie Fiedler, contributed this socially inept mindset to a desire for perpetual "play." Such works as "Huckleberry Finn," for instance, suggested an obsessive American male infatuation with avoiding the very masculine duties of fatherhood and statesmanship. Men at play, boys, constantly.

Today we see them with their video games. Had "Huckleberry Finn" been written some 130 or so years later, I'm convinced little Huckleberry would have been playing his video games instead of letting out for the territories.

And there's also the fact that so many roles that should be given to male American actors today are given to not American actors. They're given to Brits, Australians, etc. It's a wonder Capt. America was even given to an American, but I guess the filmmakers thought it advisable not to go away from that route since he's ****ing Capt. America.

So, I ask you the following questions:

1. Why are American men such goobers?

2. Why do American men fear women so much?

I think the two are related, but I'll leave that for your astute and researched analysis to decide.

I don't think men actually fear women. The problem is in the perception - remember Holder's comment about frank discussion on race. Some things can't happen these days because of the atmosphere. One step off the politically correct path and names ending in "phobe" or "ist" start flying and any legitimate discussion is dead. If it gets any worse, our kids will never eat another omelette - have to break eggs to do that, you know.

This is as bad as the Dark Ages; the right person or group flies a concept and anyone challenging is a heretic or a lunatic - or both. The only fortunate thing (maybe) is that the courts are so legally hamstrung and mentally deficient that the witch trials can't resume. Imagine trying to square the atmospheric pollution released when burning a climate change denier at the stake.

I really have to wonder when monuments commemorating the past are torn down to create safe spaces for those "offended" by them is book burning is soon to follow.

Look no further than acute PC poisoning for many of our ills.

VN Store

Back