Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread week 8

So when the rankings come out are we now a top ten team? This will be interesting to see since a few teams ahead of us had some losses this week including the one we beat.

did you hear the good news today in Alabama?

They didn't wake up with another loss to Tn to cry about. roll tidy bowl

Only rankings that matter are RPI....those were released today and we were 9th....we go to LSU and win 2 out of 3 that number will be higher than 9th

TN is still on the outside looking in for a top 8 seed to host a super-regional.

I still think TN must finish in the top 3 of the SEC to get an 8 seed.

Florida currently 15-2 and finishes with
Ole Miss
@Tennessee

aTm currently 11-3 and finishes with
Georgia
@Kentucky
Tennessee

Tennessee currently 11-3 and finishes with:
@LSU
Florida
@aTm

Auburn currently 10-5 and finishes with
@SC
MSU
@Alabama

Alabama currently 10-7 and finishes with
@Ole Miss
Auburn

LSU currently 8-7 and finishes with
TN
Missouri
@SC

Projected finish:
Florida.......20-3.....(sweeps Ole Miss, 2-1 against TN)
aTm..........16-7.....(2-1 against GA and KY, 1-2 against TN)
Tennessee...16-7.....(2-1 against LSU, 1-2 against Florida, 2-1 against aTm)
Auburn.......16-8.....(2-1 against SC, 3-0 against MSU, 1-2 against AL)
Alabama....15-8......(3-0 against Ole Miss, 2-1 against Auburn)
LSU...........14-10....(1-2 against TN, 3-0 against Missouri, 2-1 against SC)

If it finishes this way TN would get the tiebreaker over aTm and get 3rd place.

This is just a projection. There a lot of tough games to be played before it's over but I think it's fun to speculate.

I hadn't followed the softball team at all this season until this past weekend but a quick look of the roster shows:

9 FR
8 SO
4 JR
2 SR

Very impressive work by the Weeklys... You know a good job is being done when VN isn't even complaining about you.

Reactions: 2 people
I hadn't followed the softball team at all this season until this past weekend but a quick look of the roster shows:

9 FR
8 SO
4 JR
2 SR

Very impressive work by the Weeklys... You know a good job is being done when VN isn't even complaining about you.
Should be a good team for the next couple years with all these underclassmen.

9 FR
8 SO
4 JR
2 SR

Their top 12 players that play full time or mostly full time are 4 freshman, 4 sophomores, 3 juniors and 1 senior. The second senior gets no PT. One of the juniors - McSwain - is used as a utility player and sometimes doesn't play and the 4th junior is used as a pinch runner occasionally.

Nothing that happens this season will disappoint me. But next season they get a lefty pitcher to go with Moss and Arnold and with all these returnees they should be loaded for bear.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a good team that has been underrated all season. I'm not sure why auburn gets so much love in the rankings compared to us--we have a better regular and SEC record than auburn. Maybe it is Myers bias, I'm not sure, but we've been disrespected by pollsters all year. It won't matter if we can win games down the stretch here--but we're looking at 9 potentially tough games. Lsu seems to be struggling now, and given how difficult the last two series could be, we need to beat the tigers at least twice, though it won't be easy.

Given that florida has the best pitching in the country, that's going to be a very tough series. Our lineup might be a little better, but we'll probably have to win like we did against bama--get strong pitching and try to scratch out some runs. At least we have them at home. I didn't realize that a&m had the 2nd best era in the conference; that portends a difficult final series, too, especially out in the crazy state of texas. They've had an easy SEC schedule but the aggies have beaten some tough non-conference opponents and so will be tough. Will there be cadets at the park beating on drums in the stands for 7 innings or somesuch? They are a bit wacky out there.

Other than out pitching, Leach, Vines and Gregg--top of the order--really make this team go, and they were all blue-chip recruits. I'd like to include Geer but she has not been hitting and we need her to get untracked about.... now. Rowland, too--though the Weeklys might be inclined to play small ball with Holcomb. Fun times!

Smallvol check the link below for the current RPI. Tennessee is number nine.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Thanks, LVJeff,
So we have a better record than Auburn or TAM but they are ranked higher. Guess that is based on SOS. We have our hardest games coming up. We also got one of the hardest schedules in the SEC. That is to our disadvantage on the front end; win them and it is to our advantage at the back end.

So we just have to beat the toughest teams. No problem!
GO LADY VOLS!!!⚾️🔶⚾️🔶⚾️🔶⚾️

somebody needs to do a steroids check on Florida's star pitcher, imho. :)

More like actually enforce the rules and call her illegal pitches. She hops and replants. Plus there are times she starts with her left foot behind the rubber. Rules are rules but they will not call her for it. Even the ESPN crew is starting to make little remarks about her during other games, like when Moss was called for an illegal pitch Sunday night.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks, LVJeff,
So we have a better record than Auburn or TAM but they are ranked higher. Guess that is based on SOS. We have our hardest games coming up. We also got one of the hardest schedules in the SEC. That is to our disadvantage on the front end; win them and it is to our advantage at the back end.

So we just have to beat the toughest teams. No problem!
GO LADY VOLS!!!⚾️🔶⚾️🔶⚾️🔶⚾️

Auburn's strength of schedule is #3. A&M #16. Tennessee #31. Tennessee's should improve quite a bit over the next three weekends.

More like actually enforce the rules and call her illegal pitches. She hops and replants. Plus there are times she starts with her left foot behind the rubber. Rules are rules but they will not call her for it. Even the ESPN crew is starting to make little remarks about her during other games, like when Moss was called for an illegal pitch Sunday night.

Agreed. The hop is the worst. I don't know how much that adds to her 70+ mph pitches but it looks to me like both feet are off the ground for a split second.

Agreed. The hop is the worst. I don't know how much that adds to her 70+ mph pitches but it looks to me like both feet are off the ground for a split second.

Add in Carlson from Auburn constantly out of the pitching lane not being called and it grinds my gears

Auburn and aTm seem overrated. I thought UT would be at #10, ahead of Washington.

Need Geer to snap out of her hitting slump this weekend. LSU has a solid pitching trio, and they'll probably play them all.

Auburn and aTm seem overrated. I thought UT would be at #10, ahead of Washington.

Need Geer to snap out of her hitting slump this weekend. LSU has a solid pitching trio, and they'll probably play them all.

Yes Geer needs to step up. Her average is .250 for Sec games and .333 for the season. Many on her at the beginning of the year had said she would be our AA this year. I like her but in the past years she would go into these prolonged slumps where she swung at balls all over the strike zone and watched down the middle pitches go by. Not bashing her at all but the senior needs to get going. I really though Megan Gregg would be our AA this year and I think she still will. She has been in a mini slump until she got the hit last night that does not count on her average. Vines is an AA in the making and since she has stopped slapping she has carried us. Our 2 pitchers are doing well but we have got to stop walking batters and get a first pitch strike. They both have done better as of late and need to continue. Seggren is developing into a very good player and should make the SEC freshman team with Arnold.
I have said it before and I will continue to say Lockman needs to keep her head in the box and still and hit the damn ball. I still think we finish in the top 3 in the conference and will be a top 8 seed unless we have a major collapse. JMHO as always!!:loco::loco:

Yes Geer needs to step up. Her average is .250 for Sec games and .333 for the season. Many on her at the beginning of the year had said she would be our AA this year. I like her but in the past years she would go into these prolonged slumps where she swung at balls all over the strike zone and watched down the middle pitches go by. Not bashing her at all but the senior needs to get going. I really though Megan Gregg would be our AA this year and I think she still will. She has been in a mini slump until she got the hit last night that does not count on her average. Vines is an AA in the making and since she has stopped slapping she has carried us. Our 2 pitchers are doing well but we have got to stop walking batters and get a first pitch strike. They both have done better as of late and need to continue. Seggren is developing into a very good player and should make the SEC freshman team with Arnold.
I have said it before and I will continue to say Lockman needs to keep her head in the box and still and hit the damn ball. I still think we finish in the top 3 in the conference and will be a top 8 seed unless we have a major collapse. JMHO as always!!:loco::loco:

Gregg really hasn't been in a slump. In fact, since the Arkansas series she's hitting over .500. She has 19 hits in her last 33 ABs over the last 16 games, including 1-3 with 3 walks against Bama, 3-5 with 4 walks against KY and 4-5 with 2 walks against Ole Miss. She's 8th in the NCAA in BA and 2nd in OBP, in addition to leading in RBI.

Quite a bit actually because the replant puts her closer to home plate before she releases. They showed a slow mo on ESPN when they played Georgia. Slo mo of her footwork. She clearly had her left foot back behind the rubber (illegal) and then hopped.

If you watch her closely her release point is a good 12-18 inches ahead of others. At that speed that is a huge advantage.

And don't even get me started on Carlson at Auburn...but then they call Moss for an IP:mad:

Add in Carlson from Auburn constantly out of the pitching lane not being called and it grinds my gears

It's even worse than Barnhill especially the way she gets rid of the chalk line awfully quick.

I just don't understand why very clearly written rules are not enforced.

VN Store

Back