McDonald's All American Game

Y'all can make numbers say what ever you want.......

What all that does is reveal how antiquated the LV program is. As I have stated before, until the LVs give up on the one-on-one/ISO style offense they will go no where no matter what players they have.

To sit here an parse percentages....that is not the issue. The issue is: Why would the LV that attempts the most threes on the team still only have a number of attempts that so many players in WCBB have makes in a season?
And the answer is not that they make a much higher percentage.

Middleton is slow and getting slower on defense....

She is not a great 3 point shooter....

Her lack of foot speed will always be a liability on the basketball court.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah...except the second half of SEC she drove the lane made layups and nifty passes. She improved a lot but i am sure you were not at games or watching and were busy trashing players and coaches as if!

I watched every game and as I recall holly had to bench her against top tier teams because she was just simply too slow. She shot 2-9 in the entire NCAA tourney, that is terrible & that's one of the reason they loss. Go look at her stats against ranked opponents.

Y'all can make numbers say what ever you want.......

What all that does is reveal how antiquated the LV program is. As I have stated before, until the LVs give up on the one-on-one/ISO style offense they will go no where no matter what players they have.

To sit here an parse percentages....that is not the issue. The issue is: Why would the LV that attempts the most threes on the team still only have a number of attempts that so many players in WCBB have makes in a season?
And the answer is not that they make a much higher percentage.

run the weave and iso their best offensive players--it is very common, but you've got to make shots consistently, and you have to be smart, meaning if a second defender picks you up, you dish to your big in the paint. In DD and Nared we have to players who can beat defenders off the dribble, but they are inconsistent. Nared had a good year, but also had a number of poor games. DD remains erratic as a shooter--too erratic.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about Middleton and three-point shooting. UT doesn't make enough threes. Good teams make at least five threes a game, probably. ND and UConn have been much better at making threes than us for YEARS. Coach K's teams at Duke have thrived on three-point shooting. You have to make four/five threes a game if you want to beat good teams, because they will. And we've lost more than a few games to teams that shoot better than we do. Shooting has been UT's achilles heel for ages.

Are you guys trying to suggest that she only played well against the teams that the BIG 3 couldn't be bothered with showing up?

Not sure i wouldn't think about 500 times not starting a freshman point guard come big dance time. Anyone remember a team having great results with that lately? Nope didn't think so.

Freshman point guard Tyasha Harris has guided South Carolina to this year's Final Four. You can watch her Friday.

Reactions: 2 people
run the weave and iso their best offensive players--it is very common, but you've got to make shots consistently, and you have to be smart, meaning if a second defender picks you up, you dish to your big in the paint. In DD and Nared we have to players who can beat defenders off the dribble, but they are inconsistent. Nared had a good year, but also had a number of poor games. DD remains erratic as a shooter--too erratic.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about Middleton and three-point shooting. UT doesn't make enough threes. Good teams make at least five threes a game, probably. ND and UConn have been much better at making threes than us for YEARS. Coach K's teams at Duke have thrived on three-point shooting. You have to make four/five threes a game if you want to beat good teams, because they will. And we've lost more than a few games to teams that shoot better than we do. Shooting has been UT's achilles heel for ages.

What I am saying is, the LV "system" if you want to call it that, is not designed to get three point shots. It is designed to drive the ball. Only problem is the teams that do it well clear out the post to leave the middle open for the driver. The LVs do not so the driver is stuck attempting a contested shot...low percentage. With the LVs current post, moving her out would not matter, she is not a threat outside 8 ft and would not be guarded.

So you can have great individual parts, but if they don't fit together into a "system"; as we can see with the LVs it doesn't work!

Also armchair, the point is not about Middleton. The point is the lack of a good offense. How many teams still playing have players go stand in the corner to start their offense and wait to see if they may have to take a three? I suggest they are designed to GET a three.

Percentage wise I can shoot 15% worse from three to get the same points from inside the arc.

Good post about our three point shooters!

AMB wanting to convince somebody how good of a three point shooter Alexa is.....

I don't think we have a good three point shooter period. But Alexa is better than Jordan, MeMe, Kortney, and DD..... don't know what that proves ?
She can make threes better than Mercedes and Harris and Nunn but since they have not shot any threes. It's just silly to say she is a good shooter when we don't have one ☝️

Sorry for the rant but I just cannot understand why anyone would be proud of our three point shooters?

I think Middleton should be used like Schaefer of MsSt. Just come in and be a spot up shooter and stop trying to dribble all over the place. If she can learn that, she turned down a lot of three point shots just to dribble into a turnover😑

I think Middleton should be used like Schaefer of MsSt. Just come in and be a spot up shooter and stop trying to dribble all over the place. If she can learn that, she turned down a lot of three point shots just to dribble into a turnover😑

Good point but Schaefer is a better defender & faster. Middleton will not see many minutes this year. The lady vols will be stacked with guards especially if diamond comes back.

Good point but Schaefer is a better defender & faster. Middleton will not see many minutes this year. The lady vols will be stacked with guards especially if diamond comes back.

doesn't mean we will have guards that can make baskets. We've seen that. The Vols lack many things, but three-point scoring is one of them. It is a big reason for UConn's dominance: they take--and make--a lot of treys. Middleton shot 39 percent from the 3-line last year--SEE my UT vs. UConn states. That is a pretty good percentage, and it strongly suggests that she should have been taking more treys. So it is exactly as the other poster points out: We should have as a key component of our offensive sets freeing up both her and Nared for threes.

You have to make threes to be good nowadays--it's another thing that Warlick has failed to grasp. While we stumble around trying to score inside, UConn is draining threes. We've got to be one of the dumbest teams in college basketball--I mean it.

Don't forget to mention Anastasia was 6-6 from the line because she was attacking the basket. Something Middleton can't do because she is too slow to get by defenders. She is basically a spot up shooter with terrible defense.
Great analysis!

What I saw out of the game was a tremendous amount of help for the Lady Vols next season. As a group they were 9 of 19 from the field and hit 10 of 10 free throws. All our recruits were willing to pass the ball and that could not be said for several of the other players. As a group they only played 64 minutes which would be 16 minutes a player. If they could put on their Lady Vol uniforms and give us the same 30 points that they contributed in this game I will be overjoyed.
The Big three averaged 49 points so add 30 to that a game and were in territory scoring wise we were seldom in this season. Actually the next four players for the Lady Vols scored 23 points in 96 minutes played. I think these players can easily match that when they are actually getting open shots and are in a game setting.
Davis had 8 points and 6 rebounds plus 3 steals and never got one pass from anybody she did it all on the offensive boards and defense.
I hope Diamond comes back this would be our best offensive team in years. If she doesn't we'll just plug in Cooper, Middleton or one of the freshmen at the two.

Well posted.

I found it interesting our girls have 20 attempts combined compared to;

18 by Walker
19 by Boothe
13 by Patterson

Realistically how can you showcase what you can do offensively when you can't touch the ball?

What I do like, combined they score 30pts, grabbed 16 rebounds (6 offensive), 5asst, 4stl, and 2Blks and 7TO's (that's a lot but in an all-star game with a bunch of difference faces I can live with that).

If we got 30points a night consistently from the bench this year with the 49.1 we got from the big 3 we might be still playing. I'm not ready to anoint them saviors but I think they will definitely impress.

Reactions: 3 people
Just watched the game. That has got to be one of the worst produced and announced things I've ever been subjected to. And to top it off, they started half way through the first quarter, and then ran over and we did get the last 31.4 seconds or the OT.

But the announcers! Who were those idiots? I couldn't believe anyone could be that bad, and the programmers found 2 of them!

Personally I was pleased with our four. Looked good.

"Ladies" is an outdated term. If you don't get that--and being Southerners I suppose I should understand that you don't--I don't know what to tell you. If the rowing and soccer and volleyball coaches thought Lady Vols was still relevant, they'd have wanted to keep it. It isn't except to a bunch of women's basketball diehards who are still pining for the PS era. We'll see how the next women's basketball coach feels about it; I'm afraid he or she will have no choice as old people in orange sweaters will descend on him or her like locust were a decision to be made to scrap the name. If Lady Vols was adopted in 1976, that makes it more than 40 years old. It's OLD. The logo is likewise OLD and weak-looking. Look at the Power T and look at the Lady Vols logo. Big differernce. One strong, the other weak. Things change in life...A LOT of women's programs put the word Lady in front of their nickname in the 1970s and 1980s--and I'm quite sure a lot of Lady names at other colleges have been phased out. I've never said a word about a nickname having any relevance to a program's performance. It doesn't. It about image and identity in 2017.
I call bull on that!!

18 by Walker
19 by Boothe
13 by Patterson

Realistically how can you showcase what you can do offensively when you can't touch the ball?

What I do like, combined they score 30pts, grabbed 16 rebounds (6 offensive), 5asst, 4stl, and 2Blks and 7TO's (that's a lot but in an all-star game with a bunch of difference faces I can live with that).

If we got 30points a night consistently from the bench this year with the 49.1 we got from the big 3 we might be still playing. I'm not ready to anoint them saviors but I think they will definitely impress.
Yes like that you make a great point. There were over 3/4 of all our games where our bench scored less then 10pts. These girls will come and step up right away adding scoring to our bench something we needed this year. Even great teams need great bench play in order to win and we didn't have that this year which greatly affected our season.

this was Walker's last time to do whatever she wanted on the court so she enjoyed it... she's be fine in Storrs!

18 by Walker
19 by Boothe
13 by Patterson

A couple of our girls had the ball in their hands a lot and could have took more shots. I found it gratifying that they all seem to be team players and looked for the open man and players that they thought had better shots. Westbrook led the game in assist with 4 in 19 minutes. Hayes had a couple as well. I know they can score so even in a game like this was glad to see them try to help the team with passing.
Boothe didn't see a shot she didn't like to her credit she was making them from the perimeter. Walker shot 33 percent and took some ill advised shots I suspect that will be corrected when she get to UConn.

VN Store

Back