WR Coach Hired [Kevin Beard from FIU]

He interviewed just like others and was chosen over them. CBJ isnt going to sign off on someone who he feels isnt a good fit or knowledgeable in coaching. Beard has played the game, coached SoFL Express 7x7, and coached at the college level. He can recruit as well as get the most out of his receivers.

Okay, that's great. The fact is he has limited coaching experience and its not debatable. That is a concern for me and its a perfectly logical viewpoint. Not sure why anyone has a problem with that view.

butch hired a wr quality control coach too. so this should tell you how underwhelming the wr coach we hired is.

17039262_1239357562786209_2791780809827511009_o.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
butch hired a wr quality control coach too. so this should tell you how underwhelming the wr coach we hired is.

I QA coach doesnt get to coach players on the field or have much interaction. His job is to assist with game planning scouting the nect apponent etc. He is there to LEARN how to be a position coach. Not teach the poaition coach. If he were the better coach, hed be the WR coach and not the QC coach. Hes dedinitely making more than he did at Jacksonville.

Lots of people have the same drive, not just football coaches. I was making a joke, however, it would be a dream job for me to work with Tennessee football in any capacity. It wont happen but I can dream. I also think it was pretty clear that CBJ at least looked at another job this year, so would that cause someone to question his effort? Not suggesting that he is going to quit working hard or anything. Its not his effort I question in becoming a great football coach at Tennessee, its his ability.

Sorry for the over zealous response to your joke. I guess I am too sensitive to Butch Bashing. Your correct, most people that really love their job have that drive.

Okay, that's great. The fact is he has limited coaching experience and its not debatable. That is a concern for me and its a perfectly logical viewpoint. Not sure why anyone has a problem with that view.

Were you the one pining for Wes Welker, or was it the other Bama guy?

I QA coach doesnt get to coach players on the field or have much interaction. His job is to assist with game planning scouting the nect apponent etc. He is there to LEARN how to be a position coach. Not teach the poaition coach. If he were the better coach, hed be the WR coach and not the QC coach. Hes dedinitely making more than he did at Jacksonville.

QC coaches aren't hired to "learn" anything...hence the consultant part. As always, check Bama's past QC roster. Locksley,Lupoi,Steele,Sarkisian... Former and current coordinators, top stud recruiters galore. With Brown and now Sorrentino, Butch seems to be upgrading the silent braintrust that we don't actually see on the field but may someday if there is movement on the staff. Maybe you're referring to GA's?

Or how much Azzanni was lacking.
I like this, although Butch is about 4 years late in doing things like this. Beard is an up and comer and has an experienced QC guy to help organize.

CBJ is clearly making FL a huge recruiting priority based on his hires this off season.

Our staff has a very good blanket over the country for recruiting. Warren handles GA, Canales in TX, Hoke in the Midwest, Wells in TN, and Scott/Beard in FL. That's a solid group in a lot of talent rich states.

Our staff has a very good blanket over the country for recruiting. Warren handles GA, Canales in TX, Hoke in the Midwest, Wells in TN, and Scott/Beard in FL. That's a solid group in a lot of talent rich states.

Canales also has strong FL ties. The quality control guy we brought in has them too. But I still agree with what you're saying. I think Warren will pay huge dividends in GA and NC.

Canales also has strong FL ties. The quality control guy we brought in has them too. But I still agree with what you're saying. I think Warren will pay huge dividends in GA and NC.

I do not know if you guys follow twitter, but a lot of big recruits loving Beard at Tennessee.

4* WR Joshua Moore mentioned him and that big things were coming at Tennessee. Also, ESPN 300 WR Jacob Copeland tweeted he will definitely be up to see Tennessee since Beard was hired.

Reactions: 2 people
I do not know if you guys follow twitter, but a lot of big recruits loving Beard at Tennessee.

4* WR Joshua Moore mentioned him and that big things were coming at Tennessee. Also, ESPN 300 WR Jacob Copeland tweeted he will definitely be up to see Tennessee since Beard was hired.
Impressive. One question though. Wasn't Larry Scott suppose to be a star recruiter?

Impressive. One question though. Wasn't Larry Scott suppose to be a star recruiter?

He is a great recruiter, particularly in Florida. He helped us land Byrd. I also seen where a lot of people who worked with Scott echoed that kids love to play for him. I think Scott is just stronger in different areas of Florida while Beard is mainly well known in south Florida (Miami). Florida is such a talent rich state it probably does not hurt having multiple guys with connections and ties. I hope we can just lock up all the talent in Tennessee this year.

Ok, the guy has little wr coaching experience. That is simply a fact, its not meant to be negative or positive, its simply a fact. If watching a video is enough to sell you, great.

How long does it take to become a WR coach? If he had the same number of years majoring in engineering, he would be a freaking engineer. And that is without counting his years as an actual player at the position(on a national championship team) which I think is a big plus. I also like his being born and raised in Plantation, a community of regular folks who always made me feel at home.

How long does it take to become a WR coach? If he had the same number of years majoring in engineering, he would be a freaking engineer. And that is without counting his years as an actual player at the position(on a national championship team) which I think is a big plus. I also like his being born and raised in Plantation, a community of regular folks who always made me feel at home.
Ok

Depends on how good of a teacher at the position you are. Also recruiting comes into play. Biggest thing is to show the intellect that you can be a coach to your superiors...some people may take a while to get to the big role, some get a free ride by names...cough Dooley....

Watched a couple of these and I like his coaching style. No fluff, no BS, straight to the point. I also like the he/Scott recruiting combo in FLA. Lots of speed down there...

In HS I played on a big physical dominating team my senior year and we ran up against the eventual state champion built around speed. I can tell you there is nothing more frustrating than a 145 lb guy running off of the edge and blowing by you like you are a street sign, all while knowing if you got your hands on him you could smash him. I don't think he had one grass stain at the end of the game.

VN Store

Back