The Official Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 3:30 PM ET, SEC Network

That won't exactly build his confidence. You do that to a SR, not a FR. You have to be patient with freshmen and let them make a mistake here and there. When Turner turned it over on consecutive possessions, Barnes yanked him.

It's true, he isn't a good ball-handler. He's loose with the ball, not in a careless manner, but in the sense that he doesn't keep his dribble low to the ground and keeps it too far out in front of him. He is better served at the 2g spot, but we need him to spell Bone at the point for now.

I didnt say bench him for the rest of the game and Barnes has a quick hook. Pull him with every turnover and sit him for a minute or two. That's all. He doesn't value the ball. Then after a turnover he tends to force the offense. Pulling him for 60-90 secs would be good for him.

Maybe Barnes should have the team bus head straight to the gym and make the team shoot FTs till everybody hits 20 in a row. One miss and they all start over. That's what another UT coach used to do.

Reactions: 1 person
I didnt say bench him for the rest of the game and Barnes has a quick hook. Pull him with every turnover and sit him for a minute or two. That's all. He doesn't value the ball. Then after a turnover he tends to force the offense. Pulling him for 60-90 secs would be good for him.

That's not good for the team though. That lack of continuity is difficult for players to adapt to. I agree with your opinion of Turner, I just don't agree that's the way to handle it.

It appears sometimes we have trouble handling success. I think coach and just more wins will take care of most issues.

It appears sometimes we have trouble handling success. I think coach and just more wins will take care of most issues.

People seem shocked we blew a lead, but this is probably the 3rd or 4th double-digit lead we've blown this year. It sucks, but not completely unheard of for a team with 2 upperclassmen out of 13 players. With more experience and poise, hopefully those type losses disappear.

People seem shocked we blew a lead, but this is probably the 3rd or 4th double-digit lead we've blown this year. It sucks, but not completely unheard of for a team with 2 upperclassmen out of 13 players. With more experience and poise, hopefully those type losses disappear.

Unfortunately you are exactly right, but I do believe we are on the right track.

I was confident before the game...so much I recorded it and went out...enjoyed everything until I got back...still, NIT is possible and the season ain't over with yet...this game was HUGE...one out of two on the road...now back home for several games might help us get our groove back on...still believin'...:)

Horrible loss after leading by as much as 19 points at one time and 12 at the half. Losing tonight may hurt their chances at making the NCAA tourney. 8 games left; They have to go 6-2 at worst before the SEC tourney. They need at least 19 wins or maybe 20 to make the NCAA. Anything under 19 and it's probably NIT.🤔😳

The NIT was the expectation. Having tourney talk (or hopes) says a lot about this team. It was a tough (bad) loss, but let's not forget the expectations heading into the season.

Maybe Barnes should have the team bus head straight to the gym and make the team shoot FTs till everybody hits 20 in a row. One miss and they all start over. That's what another UT coach used to do.

Torturing them with sleep deprivation won't make them better FT shooters.

Hubbs was the spark plug when we played them at TBA.

Yes and Howland was determined to not let Hubbs beat them again. Hubbs was double teamed most all the time and his man followed him every where he went. With their size Hubbs could never get the ball in a shooting position in the lane or paint! Turner needs to sit. Too lackadaisical and turnover prone. Lew is Lew so it is not always the best. When Schofield got the T for a ***** foul even after the review it completely fell apart!! Like someone said in the thread we should shoot free throws until every one hit 200 or more. I once did this with my HS team and we never went below 72% again that year.JMHO. :mf_surrender::machgun::gun::gun:

Reactions: 2 people
Again, how much time was on the clock when they were up 19?

Stop acting like it's some insurmountable lead.

It was a 19 point lead and it doesn't really matter what is on the clock when they had it. It was pissed away.

I don't see why you have such a hard time calling a spade a spade. It doesn't mean the season is doomed.

Reactions: 2 people
It was a 19 point lead and it doesn't really matter what is on the clock when they had it. It was pissed away.

I don't see why you have such a hard time calling a spade a spade. It doesn't mean the season is doomed.

I guess we have different definitions of choke. 5 minutes left and you blow a 19 point lead then ok you choked, but there was almost an entire half left to play.

No team is,immune to blowing a first half 20 point lead in the first or even early secomd half nowadays. The three point shot changed that. Not even a Ky or NC.

VN Store

Back