Official TN v next team up pre-game

If there's such a thing as a must win in a season where expectations are low then Miss. St. is it.

Not an easy win in the next 9. It would suck to lose 12 of 13 in this stretch. It will be a challenge for Barnes to get these guys on point and to keep them there.

Next up:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mississippi State at the TBA
Saturday 1/21/2017
6:00 EST
SECNW

9-9 2-5 (13 regular season games left)

• Miss State (Sat 1/21) SECNW 6pm
    Kentucky (Tues 1/24) ESPN 9pm
    Kansas State (Sat 1/28) ESPN2 2pm
    @ Auburn (Tues 1/31) SECNW 9pm
    @ Miss State (Sat 2/4) SECNW 3:30pm
    Mississippi (Wed 2/8) SECNW 6:30pm
    Georgia (Sat 2/11) ESPNU 4pm
    @ Kentucky (Tues 2/14) ESPN 7pm
    Missouri (Sat 2/18) SECNW 1pm
    Vanderbilt (Wed (2/22) SECNW 6:30pm
    @ USCe (Sat 2/25) SECNW 1pm
    @ LSU (Wed 3/1) SECNW 7pm
    Alabama (Sat 3/4) SECNW 1pm
    SECT (Wed 3/8-Sun 3/12) SECNW/ESPN

Losing 12 or 13 of the final 14 is a distinct possibility. Ugh!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I agree. Especially if significant progress isn't made in consistency. Picking Ala. as a win is dicey. We seem to reserve our maximum amount of suckage for them just about every year no matter how terrible they are.

Next up:
Mississippi State at the TBA
Saturday 1/21/2017
6:00 EST
SECNW

9-9 2-5 (13 regular season games left)

• Miss State (Sat 1/21) SECNW 6pm
    Kentucky (Tues 1/24) ESPN 9pm

#11 Quinndary Weatherspoon (6'4" SO guard) is averaging almost 18 PPG and 5 RPG. There are 5 or 6 others that average between about 7 and 11 PPG.

#34 Herard (6'10" 250 FR) and #35 Holman (6'10" 195 SO) are the matchup problems.

Bad losses:
Lehigh (87-73)
UCF (86-61)

6 of Howland's 7 new recruits are 4-stars, 5 of those are consensus 4-stars. Most are from prep schools rather than regular high schools.

Last edited:
Next up:
Kentucky (16-2 6-0) at the TBA
Tuesday 1/24/2017
9:00 EST
SECNW

10-9 3-5 (12 regular season games left)

• Kentucky (Tues 1/24) ESPN 9pm

Losses to #11 UCLA and #10 Louisville

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Will be there for UK. I've been to three UT/UK games, and UT has won all 3. Let's open that trend continues:)

Kentucky's first 5 in MPG are 4 freshman and a sophomore. I'm slightly optimistic with that. Hopefully they play like freshmen day after tomorrow. Hopefully they're looking ahead to their Saturday matchup with Kansas.

Two-thirds of KY's scoring production comes from their freshmen.

Maybe the late start will keep the KY crowd out of the TBA a bit. I hate parking for that game. I plan to be on campus by about 6:30. Hit the Student Union for dinner.

Last edited:
Kentucky's first 5 in MPG are 4 freshman and a sophomore. I'm slightly optimistic with that. Hopefully they play like freshmen day after tomorrow. Hopefully they're looking ahead to their Saturday matchup with Kansas.

Two-thirds of KY's scoring production comes from their freshmen.

Maybe the late start will keep the KY crowd out of the TBA a bit. I hate parking for that game. I plan to be on campus by about 6:30. Hit the Student Union for dinner.

True, but our freshman could also play like freshman too. Can't give another "ole Miss" effort, or it will be a blowout.

Need to show up like they did last night, Hubbs needs to score about 25, and then they should have a shot at pulling off the upset.

True, but our freshman could also play like freshman too. Can't give another "ole Miss" effort, or it will be a blowout.

Need to show up like they did last night, Hubbs needs to score about 25, and then they should have a shot at pulling off the upset.

I don't get why whenever Hubbs has a really good first half he often barely takes a shot for most of the second half. Young PGs? Opponents half-time adjustments? TN using him as a decoy?

Hubbs needs to be active the entire game versus KY day after tomorrow.

I don't get why whenever Hubbs has a really good first half he often barely takes a shot for most of the second half. Young PGs? Opponents half-time adjustments? TN using him as a decoy?

Hubbs needs to be active the entire game versus KY day after tomorrow.

Not sure why. He could've easily had 25 last night, but there was a stretch in the 2nd half where he didn't seem to touch the ball, and he was on the floor for most of it. I guess it doesn't matter when others step up

KY's PG Fox missed the 2nd half Saturday with an ankle injury. No swelling, so who knows if he plays. An injury to a key player at Mississippi sure didn't work out for TN.

De'Aaron Fox College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Kentucky point guard De'Aaron Fox out with ankle injury | Lexington Herald-Leader

"Fox entered the game as KentuckyÂ’s second-leading scorer at 16.7 points per game. He led the team in assists (113) and steals (30) and had played more minutes than any Wildcat (546). The freshman also averaged 5.0 rebounds, the third most on the team."

Last edited:
Mark Pancratz:

KY scores 40+ percent of their points on dunks and layups.

KY scores 48% of their points in the paint.

KY scores on average in 14.3 seconds.

Next up:
Kansas State (15-5 4-4) at the TBA
Saturday 1/28/2017
2:00 EST
ESPN2

Kansas State roster & stats
11-9 4-4 (11 regular season games left)

• Kansas State (Sat 1/28) ESPN2 2pm

Last edited:
I wonder if Kyle Alexander just lost his starting spot? Lew Evans startted the 2nd half versus Kentucky. I think that if Alexander doesn't start, Schofield will get the nod against Kansas State.

I actually won't be surprised if Alexander continues to start for a couple of reasons. First, Alexander gives TN the best chance of winning the opening tap. Second, it helps prevent Alexander from getting discouraged... his development is critical in order for TN to take a major stride forward. Also, it's still possible for TN to do some damage in the SECT or the NIT and Alexander could be a contributor with another 6 weeks of work. Third, it's easier to manage his minutes from the start if he's not contributing. It's better to have him get as many minutes as possible from the start when neither team has settled in to the flow. It would be more disruptive, if he's not performing, to insert him and then have to quickly remove him. Fourth, make the opponents prepare for him instead of his replacement. All that said though, I'll be surprised if he starts versus Kansas State and I won't be surprised if he plays zero minutes. HOWEVER, we don't see him practice and maybe he shows flashes of being a significant contributor in those situations.

I hope Kyle hangs tough and takes the diminishing minutes as a form of motivation instead of becoming discouraged. I bet that he's a team member with a great attitude and Barnes will do everything possible to keep him moving forward with his development.

Anybody know anything about k-state? I've looked at their results, but it seems like they play varying competition.

Anybody know anything about k-state? I've looked at their results, but it seems like they play varying competition.

Were ranked #26 heading into this week, just beat Oklahoma State and West Virginia and only lost by 2 to Kansas...however lost last night to Iowa State, good team that's been a bit up and down.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back