The Official Tennessee vs. Tennessee Tech Game Thread, 7:00 pm ET, SEC Network

Typical young team. They'll show some brilliance and then some things that have you scratch your head. I figured we'd come out and play like we did in the 2nd half during the 1st half. Who knows how playing 2 games in 3 days had an effect. Hopefully, having to play 2 more in 5 days won't show.

Hubbs is making plays though. Without him, that game could've been a loss. I hope Bone can get back soon. He's much more steady than anyone else we have at the point. Turner scares the sh*t out of me in close games.
3 more games without Bone. Much rather see Shembari at point.

That should be ballgame.

This is what happens when you have a freshman laden team that has so many players getting meaningful minutes. Don't really know which 5 to put on the court to put a game away.

Sometimes I wish Barnes would let them play through mistakes instead of yanking them immediately.

I haven't watched all the games this year. I have seen parts of several. How is it that the officials continue to miss the charge/block call, when the rule has been relaxed in favor of the offense?

I have now seen two charge calls in the last two games that were simply the wrong call. They weren't that difficult to call either. I understand that the guys can be quick, and the play can be bang bang. But the two missed calls were easy calls. Just don't get it.

Ugly win.The preseason hype about PG depth was wishful thinking. This team needs Bone. Good to see Alexander get some run. He should have all of Evans' minutes.

Last edited:
Ugly win.The preseason hype about PG depth was wishful thinking. This team needs Bone. Good to see Alexander get some run. He should have all off Evans' minutes.

Still young. Phillips and Turner can both play PG. Going to be growing pains all year. We will lose a head scratcher and play well against good teams.

Still young. Phillips and Turner can both play PG. Going to be growing pains all year. We will lose a head scratcher and play well against good teams.

When Bone gets back all this playing time at the point will be good if Bone gets in foul trouble. Have to remember that Turner isn't a natural point and took a year off. If he keeps giving us 15 a game I am happy.

Barnes: I'm disappointed in our play in the 2nd half. I'm disappointed in our point guard play.

Supposedly he's there to stretch the floor and grab boards. Alexander's shot looks way better and he'll protect the rim better. Head scratcher

Alexander put one up from the left corner in the first half that barely grazed the rim. Most of Evans' perimeter shots look okay, they've just rimmed out.

Alexander gets lost on defense and in the motion offense he seems to not be aware of where he's supposed to be and what he needs to be doing. Once he gets the mental part down he'll have more minutes. In the mean time, it's why Evans is here. He has a better grasp of screens, helping out on defense, and other fundamentals.

Barnes: At UNC Turner and Phillips gave up 50% of the points we scored...with Turner sitting in the interview room. Ouch.

#Vols coach Rick Barnes is ending his presser by staying on stage and asking his players why they do some of the dumb things they do.

Alexander put one up from the left corner in the first half that barely grazed the rim. Most of Evans' perimeter shots look okay, they've just rimmed out.

Alexander gets lost on defense and in the motion offense he seems to not be aware of where he's supposed to be and what he needs to be doing. Once he gets the mental part down he'll have more minutes. In the mean time, it's why Evans is here. He has a better grasp of screens, helping out on defense, and other fundamentals.

Evans fouls way too often and is a handicap on offense. Give the young man the minutes now and let pay off later.

Reactions: 1 person
Definitely not our best, but Tech oughta get some credit. They played Michigan St. to the wire too.

At least we passed the close-the-game-out test.

Eh, maybe, but TTU still isn't very good. Michigan St. so far is looking like one of Izzo's worst teams in a long time. They've already lost 5 times and Florida Gulf Coast almost beat them at home. TTU already lost by 15 to Georgia Tech and Lipscomb beat them by about 20. I'm more concerned that we were beating them easily and appeared to just stop playing in the second half. That can't happen.

VN Store

Back