Bye Jalen, Thank You

He will always be a VFL

No, he really won't. He's voluntarily giving up that subjective label. Is Wharton a VFL, too? Of course not.

Thank the kid for coming here and trying to help turn the program around. I'm grateful to him for that. But he's just quit on the team in the middle of the season, any way you want to spin it.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for your first 2 years. Thanks for playing hard as an under classman.

Players transfer all the time. It definitely doesn't look good but I have no ill will towards him. He quit on these coaches who are okay with just being mediocre.

Transfers happen after the season and when it will no longer have a negative effect on your teammates

I'm sure this was a tough decision for Jalen, especially since it was announced in front of the team. Sounds like he's really banged up and blames it on Butch and his system. Can't blame him, really. The guy was getting hit behind the LOS nearly every run, our O line and it's depth has been atrocious for 3 years now. The run calls have been entirely predictable too. If it's not a clumsy read option then it's a run to the outside for a gain of 2 yards...If Butch promised him something and didn't go through with the promise then Jalen had every right to leave. Really a shame that one of the faces of the program for the last 3 years has decided to end it in such a way. Says a lot about Butch and how much control he's lost.

It's a shame our AD is buddy-buddy with Butch, otherwise we might be seeing a new head coach this year. We lost to an inferior team, the players aren't buying into the system and one of our best players just quit. The writing is on the wall...if only our AD was actually interested in the betterment of UT football. Right now it seems all he's interested in is retirement.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sure this was a tough decision for Jalen, especially since it was announced in front of the team. Sounds like he's really banged up and blames it on Butch and his system. Can't blame him, really. The guy was getting hit behind the LOS nearly every run, our O line and it's depth has been atrocious for 3 years now. The run calls have been entirely predictable too. If it's not a clumsy read option then it's a run to the outside for a gain of 2 yards...If Butch promised him something and didn't go through with the promise then Jalen had every right to leave. Really a shame that one of the faces of the program for the last 3 years has decided to end it in such a way. Says a lot about Butch and how much control he's lost.

It's a shame our AD is buddy-buddy with Butch, otherwise we might be seeing a new head coach this year. We lost to an inferior team, the players aren't buying into the system and one of our best players just quit. The writing is on the wall...if only our AD was actually interested in the betterment of UT football. Right now it seems all he's interested in is retirement.

No, you can blame him for doing this now with 4 games left in the season. This could have waited one month. He is going to have to sit out a year to play 1 year? Good luck getting to the NFL with that. This won't help him at all.

Everyone has a right to change their minds, I am sure there is more to it, one day it will come out......but looking at how UT has played, might be some truth in DeBorg/Jones not using the talent we have...........J Kelly was demonstrating that Saturday, and remember Kamara's aTm performance.........there something there alright.

Just as with most things, there's always "shades of grey". Jalen shouldn't quit mid season, but if Jones said he'd run more power I, which worked in bowl game, and didn't, then that's on him. More and more, I'm seeing where stubbornness in offensive (very offensive) strategy, is showing to be a flaw for Butch. Look at Saban. He realized the world is changing, and brought in Kiffin, and gave him the keys to the Caddy. Butch hires a crony OC coach, and runs his system, w/ no creativity or willingness to change. If Butch doesn't make it at UT, his unwillingness to change and adapt will be the reason. Another prime example is Dobbs. Everyone knows Dobbs is tremendous example of what a student athlete should be. He's a great runner, but has real challenges throwing the ball. What's wrong with working Dormandy into some key situations, at least as an experiment, or to put people on notice that this is a "production" gig...produce, or someone else gets a chance. Maybe it would put a little more fire in Dobbs attention to detail on not making freshman mistakes, while getting out played by other teams freshman qb's.

I don't even want him back anymore. He obviously isn't happy and wants to be a drama queen about it. We will be fine with the players who want to be here.

Wow a young man goes through a rough time and you dont want him back on the team? Awesome

VN Store

Back