Jalen Hurts...

Actually he typically overthrows it, but your point still stands.

I've been a tad baffled by Kiffin's tendency to either call bubble screen or deep throws with little in between. Hurts is actually really good at intermediate throws between 8 and 20 yards in the air. But they are called so rarely that it doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it had to do with trying to get some deep reps against mediocre competition, but it's a frustrating trend.

From what I watched he under throws it more often, he's only overthrown a few times.

Yea I realized that. It seemed most of the intermediate throws were when Hurts bought time with his legs and the WR moved to a spot that was open on the field.

Yall will hit the fake WR screen a few times in this game. The one where you send the TE in motion. I'm hoping we are ready for it

If we can stop hurts legs, or at least limit them and keep everything in front of us. I like our chances as long as we don't turn it over lol

He's not that good at throwing, those throws are very high % throws, and the WR's are always open on those routes. The WR do the rest for him. He tends to under throw his WR on deep balls. His best trait is his legs and his ability to buy time for his WR to get open.

Completing 64% of his passes, over 8 yards per attempt, 9 tds, only 2 picks, 149 passer rating. I don't care what it looks like, he's been awfully effective. And then, as you've said, he's a very good running qb. We have our hands very full this week.

Reactions: 1 person
We better be careful. Last QB that had such comments posted was that walk on from Texas Tech, then OK, baker mayfield. Pressure of Neyland didn't fold him/-players gotta get him on the ground

It did hurt him. And Mayfield had around a 30 completion% until the 4th quarter with around 120 yards passing. It was more of a defensive collapse than Mayfield playing amazing imo

Actually he typically overthrows it, but your point still stands.

I've been a tad baffled by Kiffin's tendency to either call bubble screens or deep throws with little in between. Hurts is actually really good at intermediate throws between 8 and 20 yards in the air. But they are called so rarely that it doesn't seem to matter. Maybe it had to do with trying to get some deep reps against mediocre competition, but it's a frustrating trend.

I would think he is trying to limit the reads Hurts is having to make and simplify the game for him. At some point he's probably gonna have to make those type throws to win a game but until he has to I imagine Kiffin is fine with simple.

We better be careful. Last QB that had such comments posted was that walk on from Texas Tech, then OK, baker mayfield. Pressure of Neyland didn't fold him/-players gotta get him on the ground

Mayfield is a different animal that guy doesn't go down, no matter who they're playing.

Completing 64% of his passes, over 8 yards per attempt, 9 tds, only 2 picks, 149 passer rating. I don't care what it looks like, he's been awfully effective. And then, as you've said, he's a very good running qb. We have our hands very full this week.

Have you watched any of their games lol.

He's completing that % because of WR screens, the WR's are doing the rest, not him. He's not very good on throws 20+ yards down field and they haven't done a lot of intermediate throws.

Stats don't lie, but they don't tell the full story

Everybody hurts...
KMhXn.gif

...sometimes :cray:

If you want stats here's for you. Nearly 700 of 1,100 of Hurts passing yards came after the catch. That's over 60% of his yards

About 650 of Dobbs 1,400 yards have come after the catch. That's under 50%

Last edited:
has completed 7-27 pass attempts under pressure (25.9%) this season. Derek Barnett is awaiting him.

Kiffin has simplified the game plan for hurts- high % of throws in areas with low degree of difficulty.

Cubi6S7VIAEPqzy.jpg:large

52% of Jalen Hurts targeted attempts have been behind LOS or to the left/right within 10 yds. He is limited with very easy throws.

Don't forget. He's been spectacular under 20 yards though. He's a good QB. But I agree I think this will be his worst game so far. Neyland stadium is a scary place for a veteran, much less, a true freshman.

I would like to see this chart for Dobbs. I think it would be interesting to see it game by game, actually. Good way to see the game plan change and evolve.

If you want stats here's for you. Nearly 700 of 1,100 of Hurts passing yards came after the catch. That's over 60% of his yards

About 650 of Dobbs 1,400 yards have come after the catch. That's under 50%

:salute:...just bout to post...he doesn't need to throw it very far...nice...Smokey...:thumbsup:

GO VOLS...BEAT BAMA!

On Saturday, Jalen Hurts was pressured on 4 of 18 drop-backs. On non-pressured snaps was 12-13 for 250 yds & 2 TDs =>158.3 QB rtg

so pressure is vital!

Wrong. Dobbs Is actually better under pressure. 7 of his TD's were thrown under pressure, most in the nation.

Most QB's don't have that much of a drop off either. Hurts is HORRIBLE under pressure

Well most freshmen are. The key is to keep the crowd in it for the entire game.

On Saturday, Jalen Hurts was pressured on 4 of 18 drop-backs. On non-pressured snaps was 12-13 for 250 yds & 2 TDs =>158.3 QB rtg

so pressure is vital!

Im sure Barnett will draw Robinson so he will have to work for everything he gets.

Fyi....sports talk shows down here in Mordor (Bama) are already predicting that Hurts is a future Heisman winner. Delusional to the extreme.

Wrong. Dobbs Is actually better under pressure. 7 of his TD's were thrown under pressure, most in the nation.

Most QB's don't have that much of a drop off either. Hurts is HORRIBLE under pressure

Probably true about Dobbs....but....

His OT performance last week was horrible. On the first series, he should have obviously kept it for a possible TD (and perhaps game winner). The second series is quite unbelievable and was a horribly under-thrown ball - plus there were 4 defenders in the area. If he hits the TE in stride, he probably scores or gets tackled on the 1.

Fyi....sports talk shows down here in Mordor (Bama) are already predicting that Hurts is a future Heisman winner. Delusional to the extreme.

That's predicting a lot, but how is it "delusional?" He's a true freshman. He's got some time to develop.

VN Store

Back