The Official #9 Tennessee vs. Appalachian St. Game Thread, 7:30pm ET (9/1/16), SECN

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a hell of deal for sure, we have our differences, but I respect your posts, I say just leave it at that and vols better bring it.

As much as I give people s*** (and I enjoy doing it :) ), we all cheer for the Vols.

Jones offense is not the answer, what I saw last night leads me to think we will be lucky to win 6-7 games this year. My hype prediction was we would go 10-2 now I am saying 7-5. Same old play calling that DOES not work. Dobbs is at his best when he rolls out to the left or right and either passes over the middle or tucks and run. And poor Jalen Hurd he is a heck of a back, but he can't gain yards if there is no hole to run through. I feel for the guy has Heisman talent, but won't ever be noticed because he came to UT, and our program sucks so bad he won't get a second luck. Makes me wish for his sake he had gone to bama.

It's play calling. Too many passes behind the line of scrimmage. Too many runs off tackle with 8 in the box. Not enough downfield passing when the defense isn't respecting the pass. Dobbs isn't a great passer, but he's also not being put in the best situations. But look what happens when he is. Huge TD pass way down field to Malone.

Same offense we ran last year. OL has some work to do. We need a Qb who can throw the ball. Defense will be good. Special teams needs to not turn the ball over. We have three Qbs on the bench who can throw the ball. Backs miss some blocks in pass coverage. Thomas needs to practice only at center. Receivers did a pretty good job of catching poorly thrown passes. Team needs to quit reading their press clippings. We will be much better in Bristol.

Just a few observation from the game.

Ohio St. beat N. Illinois 20-13 (same score) last year and made it to the Conference Championship game and a top 5 finish. Ohio State's QBs played terrible, just like Dobbs did. Appy St would slaughter N.Illinois last year and likely this year. Leave it to Volnation to overreact to a win. Sure our expectations were higher for this game, but even a great coach like Urban Meyer has these ugly wins. It happens. Also keep in mind that Clemson barely escaped Syracuse and South Carolina last year, both 4-8 teams.

Ohio state lost to Va Tech in the opening game of 2013 or 2014 and went on to win the national championship.

It happens.

I think I have heard this for 4 years. Can't keep using it

Oh but he already has and will continue to do so. Did it on Vol Calls on Monday when asked what he liked about this team. After saying leadership (which was severely lacking last night), he said he was "gonna have to play almost all our freshman class this year" except for maybe four players. He can't help himself, he's an excuse machine and saying that his team is young, even though it's provably false, is his reflexive go to.

Did you forget who our head coach is and the last time he should've gone for two only to be vetoed by his own chart? I doubt he'd have gone for 2.

100% AS would have went for 2 had they scored in OT - props to Abernathy for breaking up the 4th down pass

Reactions: 1 person
If anyone's interested here is a comparison between last nights game and the 2015 opener against BG.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 17
I honestly don't understand this. Butch is in year 4 and I still see fans waiting for that game plan to come out of nowhere. 4 years later and we are waiting for him to stop being vanilla. Lol. Can't help but to laugh.

I wouldn't give the receivers a F. They caught the ball for the most part. Williams drop should have been called a TD and smiths catch would of just been a heck of a catch if he made it.

Y'all are right. How do you multiple quote? Was it Malone's ball somewhere in the first that was a little high. Footsteps. Should have been caught. Williams TD. I think the DB made a great play and helped the ground knock it out at the exact same time Preston hit the ground. To me it's like when a ball carrier breaks the goal line, that's the moment of TD. Preston possessed that ball with 2 feet down, and I don't think it was coming out before he hit the ground. So evidently you must now finish the process. We needed that rule back in the Jabar Gaffney days am I right? Good call I guess. Good play by the DB to stay with it. Looked like Smiths drop happened really fast. Like he turned left and there it was. Hit him in chest. Might even been a catch to me. Him going to ground during the process may have worked against. I was to tough on them and my liver last night. With the nice bomb over a short true freshman. I need more YAC. I can do B- in my professional opinion. Debord gets an F. May of been game plan though. Not a fan of it. Got to let the players make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back