'15 TX ATH Ryan Newsome

Disappointing but makes sense. Having to sit out a year was probably a deterrent. If he could have come in right away and helped, I think they might have extended him an offer. But since this takes a spot away from 2017 they probably want to keep as many spots open as possible.

I would take Newsome over the WR commits we have thus far in the 2017 class

Seems UT reached out to the kid and something just didn't fit. Maybe Butch after talking with him felt it would be more wasted time.

Want to be a Vol now?

Well, I want to consider options.

Good luck. We out.

Who knows.

We have better slot receivers commited?

Wouldn't shock me at all if when UT contacted him he wasn't ready to say Yes right then. They moved on. Murphy benefited.

UT speaking to Newsome as a transfer meant they were very interested. Imo, he wanted to play the recruiting game again.

Yeah I was, of course I was living in Texas then so there was a bias...
but I will most always go for a high school kid over a transfer, just more time in your system, especially in a year where slot wr isn't close to the top of your needs.

Don't think he's a take for UCLA. He's close to former RB coach Tommie Robinson, so he could follow Robinson to SC. LA talk has been either UT or SC-- and most thought UT. CBJ must feel that we have quality depth in the slot. Curious.

Don't think he's a take for UCLA. He's close to former RB coach Tommie Robinson, so he could follow Robinson to SC. LA talk has been either UT or SC-- and most thought UT. CBJ must feel that we have quality depth in the slot. Curious.

We are running out of room is the problem I think.

I think Butch would have taken him. Really no reason to contact him then pass as they obviously knew the kid well. Had Newsome said Yes, I want to be a Vol in that initial conversation, I think he'd be on his way to Knoxville. Staff just wasn't interested in playing the recruiting game with him again.

Someone pointed out UCLAs former OC is at A&M now I believe. That would make some sense.

We are running out of room is the problem I think.

That's for sure, but things seem very fluid this year. Even if he has to sit a year, I would have thought he'd be a take. He seems to be widening his prospects now, since some of his initial choices don't have space.

I think Butch would have taken him. Really no reason to contact him then pass as they obviously knew the kid well. Had Newsome said Yes, I want to be a Vol in that initial conversation, I think he'd be on his way to Knoxville. Staff just wasn't interested in playing the recruiting game with him again.

Doubt it. Sounds like the new RB and ASAP likely took the last 2 spots the staff was willing to use.

VN Store

Back