New Research Shows Liberals Are Not More Open-Minded or Complex

I'm not even interested in what he posted. We don't encourage sociology enough in this country to even worry about taking things like this seriously. The amusement I've gained from this thread, is that I'm probably the most liberal person on this board, and Huff is easily one of the most conservative, yet more conservatives get along with me than huff.

I don't agree with much of what he says, but he's at least unique around here.

WTF?

I get called liberal more than I do conservative, and FTR I am neither.

I'm not even interested in what he posted. We don't encourage sociology enough in this country to even worry about taking things like this seriously. The amusement I've gained from this thread, is that I'm probably the most liberal person on this board, and Huff is easily one of the most conservative, yet more conservatives get along with me than huff.

I don't agree with much of what he says, but he's at least unique around here.
I get along fine with you. Huff and I have had our troubles.

I came to the same conclusion when I was like 15, Huff. At least the open minded part....

I get along fine with you. Huff and I have had our troubles.

Do you vehemently disagree with him?

I admit, there are a few people I don't get along with, but I vehemently disagree with almost everyone. Disagreement is not the problem.

I admit, there are a few people I don't get along with, but I vehemently disagree with almost everyone. Disagreement is not the problem.

I admire that about you

I don't agree with that, necessarily. I don't think there is a "mass group" that I would consider open-minded. If I understand what you mean by radical moderates, I am sure there are a few topics we could bring up where they show their true dogmatic colors. For example, what happens if I ask the question:

"When it comes to differences of opinion over abortion, we must be careful not to compromise with those who believe differently from the way we do."

Radical moderates tend to either believe it's a matter of violence/murder or a fundamental choice we should all enjoy. People that take either position tend to not compromise, even if they are moderate on quite a few issues.

Perhaps "mass group" was not the best use, but I see the point as we find a higher frequency of open-mindedness, as it truly exists, with those in the middle of ideologies.

You are both correct to point out the flaws in my post. Let me provide brief clarification. By "mass group," I mean if we are going to lump together people into monolithic political/social groups that possess at least some modicum of value cohesion. Obviously, not everyone who is a moderate is going to be an open-minded person, as some will take dogmatic stances on certain issues regardless, especially on social values. What I mean to suggest though is that those who identify as "moderate" will be open-minded more often than those who identify otherwise. My use of the term "radical" was mostly jocular, as being moderate seems like such a novel and radical thing nowadays, polarized between liberals and conservatives as we often seem to be.

Reactions: 2 people

I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion. They are certainly entitled to it. It's the tone, sarcasm, condescension, and utter disdain from certain posters that bothers me.

As a matter of fact, I refrained from posting for a full 2 weeks , due to a post of your's made directly to me on Jan. 2 berating my Economics degree and knowledge . I decided that I didn't need the aggravation.

I finally came back and decided not to engage you, because I knew where it would lead. I really don't like to put anyone on ignore, and have only done that one time to another poster. I enjoy your insight, but sometimes you go a little overboard, IMO. I will continue to view you from afar, as I don't really like to get mad. Sorry.

Reactions: 3 people
Seems likely.

I'm basically a libertarian, but I don't know whether I'd count as a moderate or as an extremist. For example, I distrust government to the point that I prefer anarcho-capitalism to democracy. Given that we have democracy, I am much more willing to accept a fiat currency than my libertarian constituents. Am I open-minded or not?

Based upon this post and many of your other posts on similar matters, I think you have an unfounded sense of "certainty" in markets and in individuals (i.e., people contracting with one another through markets but not including individuals who compose a government) almost to the point of religious faith, but I don't think this makes you close-minded. I would say that you are a generally open-minded person, especially since you seem willing to at least entertain contrarian viewpoints.

I still dig your avi, man. But I will fight you.

I do as well. I've been on a Roman binge here lately. A part of history I've always been familiar with but deep study of which I have avoided for too long until recently.

And unless we can resolve matters in 140 characters or less, I think we should avoid the temptation to fight.

Reactions: 1 person
Based upon this post and many of your other posts on similar matters, I think you have an unfounded sense of "certainty" in markets and in individuals (i.e., people contracting with one another through markets but not including individuals who compose a government) almost to the point of religious faith, but I don't think this makes you close-minded. I would say that you are a generally open-minded person, especially since you seem willing to at least entertain contrarian viewpoints.

I think I tend to exaggerate my certainty in markets and people, but when push comes to shove, I openly admit that the market is totally imperfect.

I would say my bias stems from a distrust of government moreso than a trust in the market. If I truly trusted people, then I would trust government. I believe people will make their world view align with their incentives, and so that is why I don't want people in positions of power (public office), where they rarely face any consequences for bad decisions.

So the title of the article is "Liberals are simple minded."

The next article should be "Amazing discovery that water is wet."

Reactions: 2 people
When a group of people decries rape yet panders to a religious group that practices rape culture...you know they are simpletons.

Reactions: 4 people
Nope just an average person...almost amazingly average. If you took a poll on almost anything, I'd be smack dab in the middle of that bell curve every time.
Joe Bauers? (Character from one of the greatest movies of all time in case you didn't know)

VN Store

Back