To Protect and to Serve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's the one that was working hwy 71 south of ft smith, then yes. Smoking!

They bought a bunch of cars and only put the stripes on one side of the cars. Sneaky.

Hog's busy trying to come up with a witty retort right now.

And likely failing.

So I watched that shooting in Chicago. Now I know, unlike most protesters I am sure, that the guy had already caused a big problem, but man they just lit him up. Did he reach for something? I don't know. Baggy clothes, night time, tough call.

Cant use a taser..baggy clothes. Maybe a bean bag round? Bolos?

So I watched that shooting in Chicago. Now I know, unlike most protesters I am sure, that the guy had already caused a big problem, but man they just lit him up. Did he reach for something? I don't know. Baggy clothes, night time, tough call.

Cant use a taser..baggy clothes. Maybe a bean bag round? Bolos?

That was pretty much a chicken sh!t move on the cops part. He shot him once or twice and he was down, kept shooting after that until his mag was empty.

The worst thing is that the PD tried to sweep it under the rug.

Reactions: 2 people
That was pretty much a chicken sh!t move on the cops part. He shot him once or twice and he was down, kept shooting after that until his mag was empty.

The worst thing is that the PD tried to sweep it under the rug.

Chose your post to respond to, simply because it was the most recent one regarding yet another "cops gone wrong" post. My response is in no way aimed at you, as you will (hopefully) soon see.

I spent a total of 13 years as a full-time LEO at three different agencies. Now, I work part-time at the S.O. I started my career in. So...right at 20 years and counting.

As for the Chicago shooting, I've seen the video, and no...it doesn't look like a clean shoot. I wasn't there, and you would have to be in a shooting (as I have) to understand how video does not always tell the whole story, but from what I've seen, this one doesn't pass the smell test.

Add this one to the North Charleston shooting, and I'm sure many others I can't remember right now, or don't know about. All black eyes for all who wear the badge.

There are bad cops out there. Some of them are flat out evil; some are "badge-heavy"; some will turn a blind eye for money; and some are just plain lazy. All of them tarnish the badge that so many others wear with not only pride, but with honor and integrity.

I'm not here to win you over. Some of you respect the LE community in whole, and some of you do not. Nothing I say here will change your mind. I'm okay with that. I've met both sides of the spectrum, and I have learned to accept both.

Nor am I a member of the "walk a mile in my shoes" crowd. I could make that argument for any soldier, sailor, firefighter, paramedic, surgeon, or any other occupation where life and death decisions must sometimes be made quickly. Cops are not alone in that regard.

What does set us apart is the power and authority to take the life of another human being, and all that is required to do it legally is to be able to articulate and justify why that action was necessary. That's a tremendous amount of power. More than some, unfortunately, can handle.

I had the benefit of great mentors and FTO's, and good agencies to work for. But still, it took me a while to learn that "compassion" is a key ingredient in any good cop. There are times to be ruthless, there are times to be firm, and there are times to remember that we, too, are human, and subject to error. Sometimes, the best thing to do is show just a little compassion, and a little understanding. You'd be amazed what that can do in the right situation.

I try to remember that "Serve and Protect" is more then a logo on the side of 1960's LAPD cars. It's the basic mantra of the law enforcement community. We are public servants first and foremost, and we are there to protect you. Sometimes, we have to protect others from you. That's how it goes.

It hurts my heart every time I read or hear about another member of the blue line who has betrayed the public trust. Please remember, they betrayed our trust as well. And while all cops are human, and will make mistakes, I also believe that we are (and should be) held to the proverbial "higher standard", and thus should be held accountable, to the fullest extent of the law, for any criminal acts or deeds that infringe upon the rights guaranteed to all under our Constitution.

I'm by no means perfect. I have made more than my share of mistakes. Thankfully, none that resulted in injury or death to an innocent. But for those of us who who think that all cops have an "us -vs- them" mentality (yes, I know...it's out there), please believe me when I tell you that there are a lot more like me than there are like them. The reason you rarely hear about them is because they do their job the way it should be done, and that almost never makes the news.

When I was training new deputies, one of the things I made it a point to tell them was this: Integrity is what you do when no one else is watching, and character is what you do when everyone is watching. Remember that, and you'll do fine.

Like me or not, rest assured that if we ever come into contact, I will give you every benefit of the doubt that the law affords you, and I will endeavor to treat you with both courtesy and respect until and right up to the point where you make that impossible.

Every profession has it's ethics. At the extreme ends of LEO ethics lies death. At one end for an innocent citizen, and at the other for a cop. Both extremes are unacceptable, and deserve the full measure of justice that the law allows.

Go Vols.

Chose your post to respond to, simply because it was the most recent one regarding yet another "cops gone wrong" post. My response is in no way aimed at you, as you will (hopefully) soon see.

I spent a total of 13 years as a full-time LEO at three different agencies. Now, I work part-time at the S.O. I started my career in. So...right at 20 years and counting.

As for the Chicago shooting, I've seen the video, and no...it doesn't look like a clean shoot. I wasn't there, and you would have to be in a shooting (as I have) to understand how video does not always tell the whole story, but from what I've seen, this one doesn't pass the smell test.

Add this one to the North Charleston shooting, and I'm sure many others I can't remember right now, or don't know about. All black eyes for all who wear the badge.

There are bad cops out there. Some of them are flat out evil; some are "badge-heavy"; some will turn a blind eye for money; and some are just plain lazy. All of them tarnish the badge that so many others wear with not only pride, but with honor and integrity.

I'm not here to win you over. Some of you respect the LE community in whole, and some of you do not. Nothing I say here will change your mind. I'm okay with that. I've met both sides of the spectrum, and I have learned to accept both.

Nor am I a member of the "walk a mile in my shoes" crowd. I could make that argument for any soldier, sailor, firefighter, paramedic, surgeon, or any other occupation where life and death decisions must sometimes be made quickly. Cops are not alone in that regard.

What does set us apart is the power and authority to take the life of another human being, and all that is required to do it legally is to be able to articulate and justify why that action was necessary. That's a tremendous amount of power. More than some, unfortunately, can handle.

I had the benefit of great mentors and FTO's, and good agencies to work for. But still, it took me a while to learn that "compassion" is a key ingredient in any good cop. There are times to be ruthless, there are times to be firm, and there are times to remember that we, too, are human, and subject to error. Sometimes, the best thing to do is show just a little compassion, and a little understanding. You'd be amazed what that can do in the right situation.

I try to remember that "Serve and Protect" is more then a logo on the side of 1960's LAPD cars. It's the basic mantra of the law enforcement community. We are public servants first and foremost, and we are there to protect you. Sometimes, we have to protect others from you. That's how it goes.

It hurts my heart every time I read or hear about another member of the blue line who has betrayed the public trust. Please remember, they betrayed our trust as well. And while all cops are human, and will make mistakes, I also believe that we are (and should be) held to the proverbial "higher standard", and thus should be held accountable, to the fullest extent of the law, for any criminal acts or deeds that infringe upon the rights guaranteed to all under our Constitution.

I'm by no means perfect. I have made more than my share of mistakes. Thankfully, none that resulted in injury or death to an innocent. But for those of us who who think that all cops have an "us -vs- them" mentality (yes, I know...it's out there), please believe me when I tell you that there are a lot more like me than there are like them. The reason you rarely hear about them is because they do their job the way it should be done, and that almost never makes the news.

When I was training new deputies, one of the things I made it a point to tell them was this: Integrity is what you do when no one else is watching, and character is what you do when everyone is watching. Remember that, and you'll do fine.

Like me or not, rest assured that if we ever come into contact, I will give you every benefit of the doubt that the law affords you, and I will endeavor to treat you with both courtesy and respect until and right up to the point where you make that impossible.

Every profession has it's ethics. At the extreme ends of LEO ethics lies death. At one end for an innocent citizen, and at the other for a cop. Both extremes are unacceptable, and deserve the full measure of justice that the law allows.

Go Vols.

....best read on this site in weeks.

Thanks for your service.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back