Why Does Spurrier Hate Us So Much?

Spurrier always wanted to be a Vol. I thought it was pretty obvious. So it basically boils down to a jealousy issue. I suspected the reason Spurrier wanted to beat Fulmer so bad (and usually did) was to get Fulmer fired. Not only did he wanna play here, but he wanted to be the coach here. Even now it's a no brainer that he would rather be the coach at UT than SC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
He's one of those old farts that hates everyone. He knows how passionate Vol fans are and since he couldn't be one, he wants to beat one

Because he grew up a Vols fan in Johnson City, and we never even gave him a look during recruiting because he was a pass first QB.

As dduncan has pointed out, it all goes back to Bowden Wyatt and his outdated offense. Spurrier has admitted before that he would've played at UT if Doug Dickey had been at the program a year sooner. So if Spurrier had graduated HS in 1964 rather than 1963, he'd be all Vol.

Spurrier is competitive and I think he's basically held a 50+ year grudge against Wyatt, and by association, UT.

My dad actually got to see Spurrier play at Science Hill. Said he was spectacular at every sport he played and was just as good of a basketball player and baseball Pitcher as he was a Quarterback.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
He doesnt have a problem with Tennessee.

He's equal opportunity and needles everybody except Florida and Duke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Kingsport and Johnson City were rivals in about everything in the sixties. Spurrier gave us a rough time in all three sports. Some folks in town didn't think Florida was far enough away........Oregon might not have been far enough away!

Reactions: 2 people
Seems like this question has been bantered about on here before, but I figured it was time to finally settle this once and for all.

So, I know the guy was born in East Tennessee but went to Florida where he won a Heisman that Peyton Manning would laugh at.

Then went on to coach Florida. Then went on to coach SC.

But what exactly is his beef with UT? This guy has always seemed to hate us to death, which I find a bit bizarre for a Tennessee fellow.

I like the Ole' Ball Coach. He seems genuine, although often hard to figure out. He isn't like Saban, who is just a generally ungrateful scumbag that happens to be a good college coach and can convince parents to send their children to him for Scum Tutoring 101.

But what gives with Spurrier? Why does he hate us so much? He's typically kicked our asses, despite these last couple of years, yet still hates our guts.

Oh, and this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fIq16Vq2Ng[/youtube]

Now that's just funny right there.

Spurrier was born in FL... Enough said.. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Spurrier

Last edited:
He is as competitive as they get.

He loves to have bragging rights. Still has lots of friends in East Tennessee - several from high school.

It's not hating UT as much as it is about hating losing to UT.

Just my 2 cents

I agree with this 100%!

It's the COMPETITIVE spirit--but the 'Ol Ball Coach just can't resist "....chasing 'em all 'round the parking lot..." after he's whooped dey azz!

Personally--I think he has been MUCH tougher on the jawja puppies than on us.....but, if you keep up with him, he dishes it out pretty much to everyone.

I like him....and sure, he's just like the rest of us and lets his frustration show when he gets beat....

But--one thing people forget....'Ol Steve is as honest as the day is long, does things according to the rules, lives to compete and whoop dat azz, and is just plain GOOD at what he does. And people love to hate a guy like that....don't ask me why....

But it's the same reason Peyton didn't win the Hypesman...:salute:

Steve Spurrier Quotes

On Tennessee and the Citrus Bowl… “You can’t spell Citrus without UT”

After being asked if he thought Florida would beat Georgia… “Is Ray Goff still coaching there?”

“I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP”

“In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama…Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

In response to an Auburn dorm fire that burned books… “but the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn’t been colored yet.”

“You know what FSU stands for, don’t you? Free Shoes University”

On Georgia recruiting… “Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don’t understand that. What happens to them?”

On Danny Wuerffel taking hits… “I think he’s sort of a New Testament guy. He gets slapped in the face, and he turns the other cheek. He says, ‘Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ I’m probably more of an Old Testament guy, an eye for an eye. You spear our guy in the ear hole and we think we’re supposed to be able to spear you in the ear hole. That’s how we’re a little different.”

On playing Georgia the second week of the season… “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

On South Carolina's 52-7 win over the Razorbacks: "I do feel badly for Arkansas. That's no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Steve Spurrier Quotes

On Tennessee and the Citrus Bowl… “You can’t spell Citrus without UT”

After being asked if he thought Florida would beat Georgia… “Is Ray Goff still coaching there?”

“I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP”

“In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama…Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

In response to an Auburn dorm fire that burned books… “but the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn’t been colored yet.”

“You know what FSU stands for, don’t you? Free Shoes University”

On Georgia recruiting… “Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don’t understand that. What happens to them?”

On Danny Wuerffel taking hits… “I think he’s sort of a New Testament guy. He gets slapped in the face, and he turns the other cheek. He says, ‘Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’ I’m probably more of an Old Testament guy, an eye for an eye. You spear our guy in the ear hole and we think we’re supposed to be able to spear you in the ear hole. That’s how we’re a little different.”

On playing Georgia the second week of the season… “I don’t know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended.”

On South Carolina's 52-7 win over the Razorbacks: "I do feel badly for Arkansas. That's no fun getting your butt beat at home, homecoming and all that."

He is a classless a-hole.

Seems like this question has been bantered about on here before, but I figured it was time to finally settle this once and for all.

So, I know the guy was born in East Tennessee but went to Florida where he won a Heisman that Peyton Manning would laugh at.

Then went on to coach Florida. Then went on to coach SC.

But what exactly is his beef with UT? This guy has always seemed to hate us to death, which I find a bit bizarre for a Tennessee fellow.

I like the Ole' Ball Coach. He seems genuine, although often hard to figure out. He isn't like Saban, who is just a generally ungrateful scumbag that happens to be a good college coach and can convince parents to send their children to him for Scum Tutoring 101.

But what gives with Spurrier? Why does he hate us so much? He's typically kicked our asses, despite these last couple of years, yet still hates our guts.

Oh, and this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fIq16Vq2Ng[/youtube]

Now that's just funny right there.

He loves us and wants to be us but he was rejected so outwardly he acts like he hates us.

Reactions: 1 person
In a recent interview (South Carolina Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier has still got it - SEC Blog - ESPN), Chris Low asked Spurrier point-blank whether he would have attended Tennessee if Doug Dickey had been hired one year earlier:

Having attended high school in Johnson City, Tenn., did the fact that Tennessee was still running the single-wing offense keep you from seriously considering the Vols?

SS: I think that’s where I probably would have gone in a heartbeat if they had been running a different offense. I grew up a Tennessee fan, but Bowden Wyatt was in his last year and they didn’t fire him until after I decided to go to Florida. They were still running the single-wing under the interim coach [Jim McDonald] before Doug Dickey came that next year. So if Dickey had come a year earlier, I might have been a Vol.

In addition to the hypothetical long-term ramifications of Spurrier potentially donning the orange and white, another almost equally intriguing question is suggested by that scenario:

Dewey Warren was also in the freshman class of 1963. He played linebacker on the freshman team and then took a redshirt in 1964 as Dickey implemented his T-formation offense. Considering that Spurrier was the Heisman Trophy winner in 1966 and Warren was the nation's passing efficiency leader that year, how would the quarterback competiton have played out? It would have been a nice problem for Dickey to solve.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back