Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in a way he sounds similar to Stokes as well, undersized big guy who uses his strength and agility to his advantage.

I agree, I think we are in very good shape on both guys, would be nice to get them in the fold sooner rather than later though.

Physically , a bit, but Stokes is 6-9 and was 50 5 star out of high school and DeJuan Blair (I wince very time I think how close he came to comiNg to Tennessee) was a top 60 4 star on all the services. They weren't sleepers.

Reactions: 2 people
I think in a way he sounds similar to Stokes as well, undersized big guy who uses his strength and agility to his advantage.
The tid-bit you shared made me think of Stokes also. Even the same heights (Stokes measured at 6-7.5 in the combine). We need a skill big man again, really takes the pressure off of the wing players.

Blackwell would be the key. Need to get at least one consensus top 100 guy and he would fit that bill nicely. Bone is nice as he's a borderline in state top 100.

Grant seems to be moving up the boards too, just got another HM offer and Rob Harrington of scout was singing his praises

Physically , a bit, but Stokes is 6-9 and was 50 5 star out of high school and DeJuan Blair (I wince very time I think how close he came to comiNg to Tennessee) was a top 60 4 star on all the services. They weren't sleepers.

Stokes measured 6'7" w/o shoes at the combine, and again, final rankings aren't out. So if GW ends up a top 75 recruit by some service you're all of a sudden gonna say, eh ok, he's a baller?

I don't think we were comparing rankings but the small stature and big body of the player plus the grit and grind all three posses.

Stokes measured 6'7" w/o shoes at the combine, and again, final rankings aren't out. So if GW ends up a top 75 recruit by some service you're all of a sudden gonna say, eh ok, he's a baller?

Yes. And if he slips into more than one top 100, I'll feel even better. Get into 247, Scout and Rivals all three and the Stokes, Blair, Maymon comparisons make sense. That will mean people who watch this all the time think he has a skill which will allow him to overcome the physical limitations. Right now, he's an undersized low post who will have to outperform his evaluations. That can happen and, if he picks Tennessee, I hope it does.

Last edited:

That's crazy. I remember him bullying guys like WCS, doesn't seem right that he's only 6'7.

Just a little mock up of realistic targets by position IMO...

PG: Jordan Bone
SG: Eli Wright, Tim Cameron, Josh Okogie
SF: John Fulkerson, DeAndre Hunter, DeRiante Jenkins
PF: Matthew Freeman, Grant Williams, Braxton Blackwell
C: ....

Nobody has really emerged yet at C as legit posibilities, the Canadian they offered over the weekend would seem a possibility, but don't seem to be in on any other centers at this point really.

Bumping this, removed Maliek White, Koby McEwen, Rakocevic and Ponds.

With Jordan Bone everyone knows where the Vols stand, however Iowa State, Notre Dame and Memphis are all recruiting him pretty hard and he doesn't seem to be in a big hurry to make a decision.

Eli Wright is a guy who is blowing up, recent Florida & Louisiville offers will likely have him opening things back up, Vols have been on him a long time, will see how much that helps their case.

Everyone knows where we stand with Fulkerson, be interesting to watch this one over the next 2-3 weeks IMO.

Tim Cameron camped at Tennessee in June and the staff spent a lot of time evaluating him in July, he's a guy who loves to defend, has good size, but similar to Josh Richardson needs to improve his jumper coming into college.

Josh Okogie similar to Cameron is well known for his defense, but his offensive game is coming around now also which has made him an attractive recruit this AAU season, he's also the AAU teammate of Grant Williams.

DeAndre Hunter is a guy the staff likes, he's pretty open currently, but continually mentions the Vols. The Philly native has had a great summer and is solidifying himself among the top 100 in the country.

DeRiante Jenkins named Tennessee and Indiana as 2 of the schools recruiting him the hardest, mentioned Barnes 17 NBA draft picks as something he constantly thinks about, near certain OV in the future.

Matthew Freeman has mentioned Tennessee a lot along with Vandy and Notre Dame, as of now he plans to OV to Tennessee, but we will see how that develops over the next week as he's in the U.S. for an Adidas tournament with his New Zealand team. Grant Williams, UT has to be considered the current leader there, will be interesting to see when he says he wants to decide, if it's by November gotta like the Vols current position.

Braxton Blackwell is the big fish, Vols made his top 6 and many feel Vandy & Tennessee likely sit atop his list. The fact Barnes and his staff were able to make up this much ground in 3 months definitely gives hope to where they can get in 3-4 more months when the early signing period rolls around.

Last edited:
Playing for team livon, freeman impressed on the offensive end of the floor. As soon as he entered the game, he calmly nailed a three-pointer from the top of the key and showed good form on his long-range shot. He also hit an 18-foot jump shot.

Freeman has a very good set of hands and nice touch around the basket. He has the ability to score over either shoulder and even hit an off hand jump hook (left). Passing also appears to be a strength of freeman’s, as he made a couple of nice passes from the top of the key and the high post. Freeman played hard and with energy and certainly didn’t mind mixing it up inside for rebounds.

For the game, freeman scored 12 points on 5-for-6 shooting from the field. He also grabbed six rebounds. Freeman told scout that oklahoma, lmu, vanderbilt and tennessee have offered him a scholarship.

-scout

May be why Fulkerson isn't locked down yet. Tennessee may want to assess their chances with Freeman before pushing for a commit from Fulkerson. Just speculation, as always.

I don't think it's an either or, but I could be wrong. I don't mean this next statement to start a riot, just how I see it...Rick Barnes isn't Donnie Tyndall in that he's got 200 offers out to kids with 3/4 being non-committable, Barnes has extended maybe 20 offers to the class of 2016, and I would bet pretty much everyone of those is committable at this point.

This class is gonna be 5-7 guys most likely, there's room for both IMO

coreyevans_10:Big time contest between Bruce Brown and Hamidou Diallo about to begin. Coaches from Gtown, Creighton, St Joe's, Tenn, Bc, Pitt, uconn here

I don't think it's an either or, but I could be wrong. I don't mean this next statement to start a riot, just how I see it...Rick Barnes isn't Donnie Tyndall in that he's got 200 offers out to kids with 3/4 being non-committable, Barnes has extended maybe 20 offers to the class of 2016, and I would bet pretty much everyone of those is committable at this point.

This class is gonna be 5-7 guys most likely, there's room for both IMO
I don't think Barnes would go see Fulkerson play in person multiple times if he was a backup plan. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee Offers Fast-Rising 4-Star 2017 Point Guard Lavar Batts (@Lbattssr3): ow.ly/POuV1 #VolNation pic.twitter.com/Y5JuxPUhYT
12:39pm - 20 Jul 15

In today's Jackson Sun he stated that Tennessee offered him last week. 247 has him listed as the #1 JUCO in the country. I saw him a lot in HS and thought he was a good player but I never had him in the elite status. Anybody that has seem him at Motlow can educated us.

In today's Jackson Sun he stated that Tennessee offered him last week. 247 has him listed as the #1 JUCO in the country. I saw him a lot in HS and thought he was a good player but I never had him in the elite status. Anybody that has seem him at Motlow can educated us.

Lavar ?

I'm guessing you forgot to mention the name, but I'm assuming you mean Jaylen Barford?

I love Jaylon Barford but he's been offered by practically in the SEC and two of his high school teammates are playing at ETSU for Steve Forbes. It will be fun to see where Barford ends up.

Except Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back