Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NextCats: Iowa State & Florida State have now offered 2016 in-state basketball star Eli Wright, according to his AAU coach. UConn offered last night.

Just a little mock up of realistic targets by position IMO...

PG: Jordan Bone, Shamorie Ponds, Maliek White
SG: Eli Wright, Koby McEwen
SF: John Fulkerson, DeAndre Hunter, DeRiante Jenkins
PF: Matthew Freeman, Grant Williams, Braxton Blackwell, Nick Rakocevic
C: ....

Nobody has really emerged yet at C as legit posibilities, the Canadian they offered over the weekend would seem a possibility, but don't seem to be in on any other centers at this point really.

Reactions: 1 person
Just a little mock up of realistic targets by position IMO...

PG: Jordan Bone, Shamorie Ponds, Maliek White
SG: Eli Wright, Koby McEwen
SF: John Fulkerson, DeAndre Hunter, DeRiante Jenkins
PF: Matthew Freeman, Grant Williams, Braxton Blackwell, Nick Rakocevic
C: ....

Nobody has really emerged yet at C as legit posibilities, the Canadian they offered over the weekend would seem a possibility, but don't seem to be in on any other centers at this point really.

Maybe they feel good about Kasongo, Alexander, and McGhee holding down the C spot for the next year or so.

Maybe they feel good about Kasongo, Alexander, and McGhee holding down the C spot for the next year or so.

That's very possible, and hopefully because of that they won't reach. They are trying with a couple of guys, Bradley/Banks/Ekiyor, but as of writing that I wouldn't say they're guaranteed a visit from any of those guys. It is worth noting, Freeman and Rakocevic are both 6'10"+, so while they're looked at as more of a stretch 4, against smaller teams, or in a foul trouble situation, they could definitely log minutes at the 5, and bring an offensive game neither Alexander or Kasongo posses.

This ones gonna turn into a battle, hopefully getting in on him early helps...

@OJElite: Pittsburgh, UConn, Florida State, Iowa State & Miami have offered '16 Hoop Dreams (KY) SG Eli Wright in the past few days. @eli_elijuan

This ones gonna turn into a battle, hopefully getting in on him early helps...

@OJElite: Pittsburgh, UConn, Florida State, Iowa State & Miami have offered '16 Hoop Dreams (KY) SG Eli Wright in the past few days. @eli_elijuan
Hasn't he been to Tennessee when Tyndall and Chris Shumate were here? That could work in our favor.

Speaking of, Chris Shumate is the lead recruiter for Western Kentucky, and according to Eli Wright in this video, he likes WKU a lot. Its close to home and Shumate has been on him hard it sounds like.

(Eli) Wright said he's sticking with his top-10 list of schools he released in the spring, which included WKU, Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Middle Tennessee, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Texas, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.
Those teams you mentioned are too late.

And Jeronne Maymon was a top 60 in the country, two time Wisconsin HS POY. Williams doesn't have near that rep. Hope Williams works out if he comes here. Just skeptical at this point, that's all.

@GrantWillPds: Just received a scholarship to go play for tubby smith at Texas Tech #redraiders #24 #Blessed

grant williams has a lot to prove this summer, but more to others than to himself. A self-assured, big winner at charlotte (n.c.) providence day, williams has exceeded expectations this month and raised his grassroots stature in the process.

You might not guess it based on his 6-7 height, but post anchor grant williams has ranked among the best rebounders on the nike circuit this summer. Both at the peach jam and last week’s lawson/oladipo camp, williams showcased strength, quick reflexes, aggression and excellent hands to rip down rebounds in traffic.

Williams also leaps out of his area and outmuscles opponents for long caroms and loose balls. While not an explosive straight-up leaper, he’s very mobile and possesses better offensive skills than he generally receives credit.

He teams with harry giles, alterique gilbert and others for cp3, a loaded squad fell short of reaching the peach jam final just over a week ago. Williams nevertheless feels very positive heading into late july.

”it’s been a good summer, playing with cp3 and doing well, just lost a heartbreaker at the peach jam,” williams said. “i feel like i’ve been playing pretty well, showing colleges that i have a motor.”
williams’ primary challenge, from a recruiting point of view, remains that he’s only 6-7 and viewed by many coaches as a pure low post player. That obviously places him on the small side and thus some coaches have been wary to jump into the fray before evaluating him on multiple occasions.

Williams is a powerhouse who's a little small for center but possesses good hands, a soft perimeter jump shot and the desire to be big and physical. He doesn't jump particularly well but is a workhorse who's not only talented but understands how to play the game.
Interestingly, however, he actually does create for himself more frequently for providence day and also did so at lawson/oladipo. He handles fairly well going right and also is a capable medium-range shooter when left open.

His three-point shot needs work and he can struggle with length, but he regards his under-appreciated skills as the key to obtaining more scholarship offers.
”a lot of coaches say that i’m a little bit small for the position they see me playing,” williams said. “in my opinion, i’m really versatile, but with cp3 i play more on the inside and coaches don’t really get to see my outside game. I’m trying to show the versatile part this summer and during the high school season.”
while his recruiting interest may not have been as widespread as he’d like, the plot appears to be rising in intensity.

”a lot of schools have been picking up recently,” he said. “i think maryland, ole miss, texas tech are there. Tennessee, wofford, yale, harvard … i have 20 or so offers.”

williams is a top student at a strong school and thus enjoys the option to pursue a more academically-minded path, should he desire, but clearly there’s blossoming major conference interest there as well.
In other words, the ambitious young man has a lot to think about — and increasingly more to think about as his options continue to expand.

-scout

Kid sounds like a Dejuan Blair clone. I like our chances to land him especially since we were on him early and now he is starting to get credit for his game.

Seems like Bone and williams are both pretty likely to end up in this class.

I think in a way he sounds similar to Stokes as well, undersized big guy who uses his strength and agility to his advantage.

I agree, I think we are in very good shape on both guys, would be nice to get them in the fold sooner rather than later though.

There it is...

@Coach_Rick57: Per source, 6'9 '16 John Fulkerson of Christ School has been offered by George Mason & Tennessee. Wil be playing at the Summer Havoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back