Recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's a local guy who we can't or shouldn't pass up on. If he goes to college and ends up being a baller without ever receiving an offer from Tennessee, then it looks bad that we can't even recruit our own backyard of players. IMO. We need the local guys who are good enough to play mid-major. If we had Ty Greene (mid major out of Bearden HS) we would have had a different and better year this past year, but we let him play for USC Upstate instead.

Just so I don't jump to conclusions, how many of those guys do you take? There probably are 3-4 year in East TN alone every year which fit that description.

Rivals just came out with its updated 150 to reflect the summer rankings and Williams isn't on that list. I'd suspect he won't get any higher in the rankings than he already is. If you don't make a big move in the summer before your senior year, you probably aren't going to later.

Listen, I have nothing against 6-6 posts. My favorite player of all time was a 6-5, 6-6 Tennessee post named Bernard King. A 6-4 1/2 guy set the SEC on fire as a freshman post one year - Charles Barkley. But if you are going to play post at that size, you better be great at something to make up for the lack of stature.

I would say being smart enough to play for Harvard would likely qualify as being great at something, again, he has played very well in EYBL and at the Peach Jam which is against the top competition in the country.

Per VQ:

Staff checking out Jordan Bone, Eli Wright, John Fulkerson, DeAndre Hunter, Braxton Blackwell, DeRiante Jenkins, Nick Rakocevic, Jalen Harris and Jalen Johnson.

Eli Wright is expected to take an unofficial visit to Tennessee within the next month according to those close to him, Vols are in a good spot there if they continue to push.

All of these are top 150 players except for Fulkerson, Matthew Freeman will be in from New Zealand next week and you can expect Tennessee to be a big presence there as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I would say being smart enough to play for Harvard would likely qualify as being great at something, again, he has played very well in EYBL and at the Peach Jam which is against the top competition in the country.

I was implying something on the basketball court, but, yes, being able to get into Harvard is admirable and I doubt Bernard nor Sir Charles could have pulled that off.

Ya got me. 😕

I'm not suggesting we should've taken Lee Humphrey, Skylar McBee, Lester Wilson, Jalen Steele and Ty Greene, but 1 or 2 of those kids once in awhile I am ok with. Fulkerson is 6'8", his game is clearly on the upswing and his potential is something obviously drawing attention, I have no issue once again with taking him if he's the bottom of the class and not the headliner.

Per VQ:

Staff checking out Jordan Bone, Eli Wright, John Fulkerson, DeAndre Hunter, Braxton Blackwell, DeRiante Jenkins, Nick Rakocevic, Jalen Harris and Jalen Johnson.

Eli Wright is expected to take an unofficial visit to Tennessee within the next month according to those close to him, Vols are in a good spot there if they continue to push.

All of these are top 150 players except for Fulkerson, Matthew Freeman will be in from New Zealand next week and you can expect Tennessee to be a big presence there as well.
Staff really likes Freeman and I can see why. He is quite talented for a big man.

If no one has seen his diverse game as a center then here you go

http://youtu.be/fzponluUPg8

Reactions: 2 people
Because he's a local guy who we can't or shouldn't pass up on. If he goes to college and ends up being a baller without ever receiving an offer from Tennessee, then it looks bad that we can't even recruit our own backyard of players. IMO. We need the local guys who are good enough to play mid-major. If we had Ty Greene (mid major out of Bearden HS) we would have had a different and better year this past year, but we let him play for USC Upstate instead.

Don't understand this logic at all . Offering a kid just because he lives in east Tn is absurd.

Staff really likes Freeman and I can see why. He is quite talented for a big man.

If no one has seen his diverse game as a center then here you go

http://youtu.be/fzponluUPg8

He's getting ready to blow up, he's gonna be here next week I believe it is for the Nike Global Challenge, he then plans to come back to the states for about a week in September for a couple OV's, sign in November, and move to the states in January to play at a prep school until he enrols in a college in June.

He's getting ready to blow up, he's gonna be here next week I believe it is for the Nike Global Challenge, he then plans to come back to the states for about a week in September for a couple OV's, sign in November, and move to the states in January to play at a prep school until he enrols in a college in June.
Watch out for Kentucky here. They just signed one of Freeman's Kiwi teammates in addition to getting the five star PG from Canada. Wouldn't you know, just when Tennessee gets an in with international guys, Cal turns his eyes that way.

Last edited:
Watch out for Kentucky here. They just signed one of Freeman's Kiwi teammates in addition to getting the five star PG from Canada. Wouldn't you know, just when Tennessee gets an in with international guys, Cal turns his eyes that way.

Idk, they've seen Freeman play many times as they were evaluating Tai, and never once really showed interest into Freeman, have to think he would remember that if all of a sudden they tried to.

So he is going to choose us over Kentucky because they didn't initially show interest????

I think that is very very wishful thinking

Would you like names of recruits that have said a school was "too late" to the party? Shaun Kirk did so to UK just a couple months ago, Nc State offered and he committed, Calipari calls and offers, he thinks on it for a day or so and decides Cal should've shown interest sooner, and sticks with Nc State.

Would you like names of recruits that have said a school was "too late" to the party? Shaun Kirk did so to UK just a couple months ago, Nc State offered and he committed, Calipari calls and offers, he thinks on it for a day or so and decides Cal should've shown interest sooner, and sticks with Nc State.

When did this happen with Kirk???

My guess is it happened later in his senior year and not the summer before.

Big difference but keep that wishful thinking up.

Same response

When was the timing???

Spring I am sure

Show me a recruit that got an offer in the summer and turned down cal for this reason

I just did. Look at all the recruits Cal offered and missed on in the 2015 class, not all were offered 2 weeks prior to the signing period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back