Annual "You should pull for the SEC, it helps Tennessee" debate

My big takeaway from this bowl season is the great divide this playoff system is going to create. The 4 teams that are in get an INSANE amount of pr and recruiting help, while pretty much every other bowl is relegated to a sideshow. We gotta get into the mix soon.

Reactions: 2 people
Ole miss is soooo overrated. If we had Dobbs start that game we win comfortably.

Ole Miss was a lot better team before they lost their best two receivers. The SEC season is brutal and that's why other conferences have an advantage in Bowl games. For SEC teams it's a vacation. Maybe that's an excuse but there's some truth in it.

My big takeaway from this bowl season is the great divide this playoff system is going to create. The 4 teams that are in get an INSANE amount of pr and recruiting help, while pretty much every other bowl is relegated to a sideshow. We gotta get into the mix soon.

Yeah, I have noticed that ESPN has pretty much turned all the other bowls into advertising for the two playoff games.

Much more than they ever did in past seasons with the BCS title games.

It's true. You have top notch talent going to lower tier SEC schools just to get a shot at playing in the SEC.

Yup, but the Big 10 has taken the cake this year. They are adding Harbaugh to Michigan as well though, so that's not a good thing at all for the SEC.

Ole Miss was a lot better team before they lost their best two receivers. The SEC season is brutal and that's why other conferences have an advantage in Bowl games. For SEC teams it's a vacation. Maybe that's an excuse but there's some truth in it.

Ohio State just beat Alabama with their 3rd string Freshman quarterback. The best teams have depth at every position... I do think SEC will be OK though, but the Big 10 means business now...

Reactions: 1 person
Congrats guys. We finished 3-5 in a dog**** conference

Yeah. We're a major conference team that's going to finish 7-6/6-7. That's really it.

Nothing changes that, nor should it.

Our conference doing well during bowl season doesn't suddenly, somehow make us a better team than our record (our wins came over a MWC team, a Sun Belt team, an FCS team, and SEC teams that had 3, 5, and 6 wins on the regular season).

Honestly, anything else is just trying to live vicariously through the successes of other SEC teams [at the top of the standings] to try to make up for UT's own lack of top-level success this season.

Reactions: 4 people
Annual "You should pull for the SEC, it helps Tennessee" debate

But it would help Tennessee... if we're ever in the championship picture.

Remember the time Alabama and LSU played for a championship? Pffft, so much for that. We won't even have the opportunity of two SEC teams making the playoffs after today.

So yeah, the SEC not looking like a dumpster fire would have benefited the Vols if they're ever in contention to make the playoffs. If there's another SEC team in the running to make the playoffs, only one team will get to go unless everyone else outside of the top 3 has 2 losses. There can't be two undefeated SEC teams and that second SEC team will sit at home so they can take a one loss team from a conference that doesn't have anyone representing them.

Reactions: 1 person
But it would help Tennessee... if we're ever in the championship picture.

Remember the time Alabama and LSU played for a championship? Pffft, so much for that. We won't even have the opportunity of two SEC teams making the playoffs after today.

So yeah, the SEC not looking like a dumpster fire would have benefited the Vols if they're ever in contention to make the playoffs. If there's another SEC team in the running to make the playoffs, only one team will get to go unless everyone else outside of the top 3 has 2 losses. There can't be two undefeated SEC teams and that second SEC team will sit at home so they can take a one loss team from a conference that doesn't have anyone representing them.

Again: we're not committee members (nor are any other average fans, especially those of us online). One bowl season isn't going to ruin the conference's reputation for future selections, especially the team picked for the playoffs lost by 7 points.

I can promise you that if UT were to go 13-0, or 12-1 among a 4-5 other 1-loss teams next season, the committee isn't going to say "Sorry, they're not good enough because last year a 1-loss Alabama lost to a 1-loss Ohio State and Auburn lost in overtime to Wisconsin."

All that disappeared today were some bragging rights...some that, honestly, as a 6-6 team, we should have never been trying to actively employ in the first place.

This "back door" in off of the conference's reputation, that you seem to be suggesting and lamenting, was likely never really there to begin with - especially since you can see how the committee already showed more preference to conference champions; there also wasn't going to be - to any degree - some sort of magic scenario where a 1 or 2 loss TN would have jumped into the playoff seedings over an undefeated or 1-loss team/champion because "hot damn, the SEC is awesome and won all its bowl games and a championship!"

(Also, your "that'll never happen" scenario you used was the one that came about from so broken of a season that it caused the entire system to be reworked...that's a bad example to use here. The equivalent, in this setup, would be something like 3-4 SEC teams make a 4-team playoff one year, and even you have to admit that's a fiasco.)

Last edited:
it is all ways a good thing when the SEC is kicking some ass,it helps the Vols in recruiting to be in the best conference, that is why there are so many players wanting to be in the SEC

Guess Alabama is going to drop to #1 in recruiting again. :pinch:

Couldn't root for Ohio State but glad Bama lost. In response to earlier posts, the Vols recruited much better and more nationally when they and UF were the only contenders in the the conference.

Ohio State just beat Alabama with their 3rd string Freshman quarterback.

Practicing as the #1 backup since before the season began is not the definition of a 3rd string quarterback.

The only real 3rd stringer that played against Alabama was Dobbs.

Hahahahahahahaha

I'm not embarrassed at all. I think it's FANTASTIC.

Agreed. I laughed my arse off, still not upset. Rooting for Alabama, Saban, and Kiffin is what is embarrassing. WTF is wrong with some of our fans?

And no the recruiting angle is false, the south will always recruit the south well because of geography moreso than conference dominance.

Agreed. I laughed my arse off, still not upset. Rooting for Alabama, Saban, and Kiffin is what is embarrassing. WTF is wrong with some of our fans?

And no the recruiting angle is false, the south will always recruit the south well because of geography moreso than conference dominance.

It has been said before, but pulling for Bama because they are in the SEC is like pulling for Satan because he is in the Bible!

VN Store

Back