Practice #4 - Updates

Fr all reports Worley is the guy so why not go with him?
All reports except from the head coach, the staff, or anybody in the actual know. Media talking heads do not have an inkling. They, like posters on this site, chose someone to back, diddle their minds with said choice, and dream that they are right. Everyone wants to be right first. The fact is, it matters not who is getting what reps or not at this point. The only thing that counts is what CBJ told us about the offense he wants to institute. The QB will run as well as pass. And you can be absolutely certain he will not veer from this objective, so be ready for a surprise the day before game one when a starter is named. Smart folks will properly place what the media says about who they believe should be named starter in context. They have to fill air time with stink and speculation; they get paid to do that. Posters on here do it for free.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree that Worley will be our quarterback. I think he is the best man for the job this year. I know it's early in fall camp but I believe it would be beneficial for our offense if this is announced as soon as possible. If I was one of the receivers I would want to know who is going to be the one flinging passes to me. jmo

I agree with the idea of announcing sooner rather than later. I don't get waiting til the week of the game to announce the starter. I don't get paid $3 mil to run the program but I think you're right....seems there would be benefit in naming the starter 2 weeks or so before the opener in order to maximize that QBs confidence, reps and rhythm with the #1 WRs and offense in general.

Reactions: 1 person
You'll be depressed for longer than 2 weeks as we start losing '15 commits one by one. 5-7 will make that a reality.

I don't think 6 wins and a 2 hour drive west on 40 to our bowl game is asking too much.

The Vol Nation chicken littles said the same thing about the '14 class. How did that turn out?

Yes, at some point (hopefully this year) CBJ needs to show improvement. However I don't think a season similar to last will destroy the recruiting class.

Question for anyone who watched the video and knows..

When the QB's are throwing passes I saw the WR's running through little PVC archway type things..is that how they train the WR's for their routes?

Who here said they don't think Butch has a plan or isn't trying to eliminate mistakes and maximize effort?

I didn't say as much. All I said was I don't think practices are going as bad as some on here seem to think based on Butch's reaction. But no, I don't think everyone on VN necessarily believes he has a plan, or we wouldn't be having comments in this 'discussion' complaining because Butch hasn't announced a starter already.

All I see is people having a discussion about the first week of practice. Isn't that why we all come here, to over analyze everything? Lol.

Sure. But it's pretty obvious from some of the posts that a few people are upset before the kids have even put gear on.

Question for anyone who watched the video and knows..

When the QB's are throwing passes I saw the WR's running through little PVC archway type things..is that how they train the WR's for their routes?
Trains them to stay low thru the routes and it helps visualize routes some but mostly used to keep them low to the ground. Running routes straight up is easier but the routes aren't as crisp

I agree with the idea of announcing sooner rather than later. I don't get waiting til the week of the game to announce the starter. I don't get paid $3 mil to run the program but I think you're right....seems there would be benefit in naming the starter 2 weeks or so before the opener in order to maximize that QBs confidence, reps and rhythm with the #1 WRs and offense in general.

Butch gets it and you don't. It's about competition and every Qb getting prepared to be the man mentally. Your saying that Butch is naive because he don't think like you do.

Love you KB (no homo)

I agree with you but it seems that Jones expects that rhythm to exist between the receivers and at least his top two QB's.

I don't think they'll announce anything but if Worley continues to get the vast majority of the #1 snaps then he's the guy. Hopefully a clear number 2 will emerge.

Butch gets it and you don't. It's about competition and every Qb getting prepared to be the man mentally. Your saying that Butch is naive because he don't think like you do.

Love you KB (no homo)

If he's not announcing its because he cant decide. If he cant decide its because they both suck. If they both suck, there will be no progress made behind two brand new lines.

Butch Jones if possible needs to give every assurance that things will be better than last year. so far no such indication given.

If he's not announcing its because he cant decide. If he cant decide its because they both suck. If they both suck, there will be no progress made behind two brand new lines.

Butch Jones if possible needs to give every assurance that things will be better than last year. so far no such indication given.

stop crying...go change your panty liner...get you a fruity drink to calm your nerves ma'am. sit down somewhere and let the men talk.

Reactions: 3 people
stop crying...go change your panty liner...get you a fruity drink to calm your nerves ma'am. sit down somewhere and let the men talk.

nice. I'll come find you mid-season when you say dumb sh!t like "Oh losing the first six games was just a smokescreen". give me a break.

These are practices people, relax. Every team is going to have good ones and bad ones.

That's exactly why this is so mind boggling...because they ARE practices. Those qb's can't hit a wide open receiver lightly jogging down the field with NO defender whatsoever. And you defend this?? Lol. Timing and touch is something learned over the many years you have been playing football..and these guys have none of either. Those two attributes are not taught, they should be naturally instilled in a qb. These guys are truly terrible.

Love you KB (no homo)

I didn't say anything about Butch being naive. I didn't criticize Butch, just gave an opinion, partially based on what I've heard other coaches and QBs say over the years. For example, Ainge suggested that he name a QB by like August 11 or so to give "the man" more time to build a better rapport with his WRs, TEs, RBs, the whole offense. I even pointed out that he's the guy getting $$ to make the decision, thus implying that he's the expert, not me. Again, just an opinion.

Love you too MV (absolutely no homo).

Who here said they don't think Butch has a plan or isn't trying to eliminate mistakes and maximize effort?

I didn't say as much. All I said was I don't think practices are going as bad as some on here seem to think based on Butch's reaction. But no, I don't think everyone on VN necessarily believes he has a plan, or we wouldn't be having comments in this 'discussion' complaining because Butch hasn't announced a starter already.

All I see is people having a discussion about the first week of practice. Isn't that why we all come here, to over analyze everything? Lol.

Sure. But it's pretty obvious from some of the posts that a few people are upset before the kids have even put gear on.

Having no plan and questioning a plan are two different things. Butch's plan is apparently to draw out this QB competition. He obviously believes that's in the best interest of the team. Some, like myself, are just sharing our opinion that we would have preferred Butch to name our senior quarterback as the starter, since we all agree that he will be the guy when the first game rolls around.

Upset? Who? I haven't really seen anyone here upset. Butch, on the other hand, he's the one that was upset yesterday.

We should have more to discuss soon as the next practice starts in a little over an hour.

I completely understand the reasoning behind his actions, but it's borderline scary how respectful CBJ is of our football program and how he imposes that on the team

I think I agree with you but I wanna clarify :)

Do you mean scary-good when you say borderline scary how respectful he is of our program and how he imposes that? I think it's fantastic and agree that is plain amazing how he's learned so much, completely embraced it as his own, and is teaching the team to do the same. He understands who we are, what this program was built on, the incredible success we've had and really just what a giant in the CFB world we are despite many of us, fans, alums, players etc. forgetting that. But a few down years doesn't erase all that.

It's funny but from what I've seen and heard we often get more respect from OOC fans and teams than our own fans and fellow SEC fans give us. I guess because those of us who are Vol fans or SEC fans have let the past few years shock us into forgetting who we are. Older fans remember and so do those on the outside looking in and in CBJ's case it's as though he's doing all he can to remind us that this is Tennessee. And it's well past time that our own players and fans start remembering too.

The bar was set long ago for what Tennessee football should be and what our players aspire to be and our program won't be back until we start reaching it. But first, we have to reach for that bar.

Having no plan and questioning a plan are two different things. Butch's plan is apparently to draw out this QB competition. He obviously believes that's in the best interest of the team. Some, like myself, are just sharing our opinion that we would have preferred Butch to name our senior quarterback as the starter, since we all agree that he will be the guy when the first game rolls around.

Upset? Who? I haven't really seen anyone here upset. Butch, on the other hand, he's the one that was upset yesterday.

We should have more to discuss soon as the next practice starts in a little over an hour.

Well Butch doesn't agree so why should he just hand the job to someone who hasn't taken it or earned it?

Out of last season's scrimmages, the only revelation I remember was that Cam Sutton had one of the CB spots locked...which was an awesome surprise with him being a non EE true freshman...before that the last CONCRETE thing we got out of the preseason was Ainge/Brett starting at QB...sure I missed something between those two examples but point being...don't panic until it's INFORMED panic. :victory:

Tennessee year by year records:

2008: 5-7
2009: 7-6
2010: 6-7
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7
2013: 5-7

It's been over half a decade since our program has been above average. Let Jones recruit and do his thing. Hopefully we will turn it around by next year and be able to win 8-9 games--hopefully more.

Im pretty sure CBJ knows what the he$$ he's doing! Just because he doesn't want to name a starter now doesn't mean neither of the three are not worth a S$$t. Geez people its just the 5th day of practice!

Well Butch doesn't agree so why should he just hand the job to someone who hasn't taken it or earned it?

I don't know how many different ways I can say this: Butch shouldn't hand the job to someone who hasn't earned it. I, like many others, believe Worley earned the job with his play last year before his injury and will be the starter against Utah State.

Do you honestly think Dobbs or Peterman is going to be named the starter? Worley is going to be the guy, barring something unforeseen. It's just a matter of when Butch decides to announce it.

Tennessee year by year records:

2008: 5-7
2009: 7-6
2010: 6-7
2011: 5-7
2012: 5-7
2013: 5-7

It's been over half a decade since our program has been above average. Let Jones recruit and do his thing. Hopefully we will turn it around by next year and be able to win 8-9 games--hopefully more.

And people wonder why no one gives us respect :lolabove:

VN Store

Back