Now that the attrition has settled down…

Attrition is definitely not over

If you're talking about players currently listed on the roster, you may be right. Mostella has yet to qualify and I worry about McKnight, he's been in trouble everywhere he's been. If these two make it through the entire season then I think we have a chance to win 20.

By adding players someone has to leave..

Attrition has it's own singular definition. The OP stated that now that the attrition is settled down, meaning, with the transfer of Thompson now settled ..... implying that no one else will be leaving the program.

Tyndall's had open spots, open scholarships that he's filling up. No one else has had to leave for him to continue adding players. He can still add Owens and have another scholly left iirc.

Reactions: 1 person
Reese isn't going anywhere lol. Theres not many players who are better than Reese who are also available to sign. So unless someone comes up within the next month, Reese is here to stay.

Correct. Like I said it's not a guarantee, but they're still exploring options and looking for impact guys. They won't take a flyer and boot someone for him, but if someone comes available or they find someone they feel is an impact guy room will be made.

Please show me where it says that you can pull someone's scholarship just to make room for a new recruit...

Please show me where it says that you can pull someone's scholarship just to make room for a new recruit...

You can't pull it necessarily. But scholarships are not four/five year contracts. They are renewable on an annual basis. It's bad business to do it, but a coach doesn't have to renew a player's scholarship.

Reese isn't going anywhere lol. Theres not many players who are better than Reese who are also available to sign. So unless someone comes up within the next month, Reese is here to stay.

Agree. Reese is always productive on the boards when he gets decent minutes. Shot the ball well from 3 as a frosh, hope he regains that in 2014. He'll be a solid contributor IMO.

Attrition has it's own singular definition. The OP stated that now that the attrition is settled down, meaning, with the transfer of Thompson now settled ..... implying that no one else will be leaving the program.

Tyndall's had open spots, open scholarships that he's filling up. No one else has had to leave for him to continue adding players. He can still add Owens and have another scholly left iirc.

Thompson is not the last player to leave, unless there's a change on plans at least 1 other player is gone. Therefore the attrition is not over.

Cuonzo did take that one recruit from Europe with him to California.
Don't recall his name, but I think he's a center.

Thompson is not the last player to leave, unless there's a change on plans at least 1 other player is gone. Therefore the attrition is not over.

Who else do you believe might leave? Pops? Either way, no one else has to leave for him to add at least 2 more players. Anywho, my "attrition definition" was meant partly in jest. Don't mean to belabor the point.

Who else do you believe might leave? Pops? Either way, no one else has to leave for him to add at least 2 more players. Anywho, my "attrition definition" was meant partly in jest. Don't mean to belabor the point.

Someone has to leave for 2 players to be added...

Richardson
Reese
Moore
Hubbs
Pops
Mostella
Baulkman
McKnight
Chiles
McGhee
Punter
Carmichael

That's 12 scholarship players, you only get 13 scholarships.

It doesnt happen often in college basketball, but it does happen. Theres no rule against it, but morally its not the best decision.

Someone has to leave for 2 players to be added...

Richardson
Reese
Moore
Hubbs
Pops
Mostella
Baulkman
McKnight
Chiles
McGhee
Punter
Carmichael

That's 12 scholarship players, you only get 13 scholarships.

images

Reactions: 2 people
and former players and former recruits have found their landing spots. What are your thoughts?

I came to two conclusions:

]First, I think it is interesting that none of these recruits/players landed in Cal. Many will say Martin was acting classy and not poaching our recruits/players, which very well may be true, but I think it speaks to the talent we were looking at next year. If the player has the talent the coach will take him and I believe Martin would have made room for some of these players at Cal regardless of the resulting damage to his past reputation at Tennessee.

Second, I know many of you have been saying this year’s recruiting class under CCM was a bad sign for the program's next couple of years. I wanted to see where the former recruits landed before I took a position on the lost recruits. After seeing the landing spots of these players, I think we dodged several low risk, low reward players taking up scholarships. That's not necessarily a good thing and not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on how you prioritize academics, character, talent, efficiency, and productivity for our basketball program.

Lastly, I just want to say that I support the decision to give Martin the APR bonus. I am proud of our APR score and he played an important role in finding he right players and providing them with the support they needed to be academically successful. With that being said, I am really excited about the future of the program I feel like the trajectory of our future has increased steeply with the hiring of CDT but only time will tell.

Signees and current players werent allowed to go to any SEC school or to University of Cal-Berkeley per the release.

VN Store

Back