Zach Arnett Out

2022 Mississippi State Defense gave up 4 more points than Banks....
2023 Mississippi State Defense has given up 80 more points than Banks....

points are what win/lose games. Arnett is a clear step back, no idea how he would be a much better option.
This year doesn’t really count. Pretty sad that you don’t know Arnett is better than Banks.

The fact that they’re making this move after not even one full year tells me they’ve already decided to bring back Mullen, but Dak ain’t walking through that door. Second stints almost never turn out to be as good as the first one.
Ask Johnny how the second Pitt stint went....

The fact that they’re making this move after not even one full year tells me they’ve already decided to bring back Mullen, but Dak ain’t walking through that door. Second stints almost never turn out to be as good as the first one.
How many coaches have had second stints at places? The two that come to mind offhand (Bill Snyder and our own General Neyland) worked out OK.

MSU hiring Arnett was odd to begin with. I know the death of Leach was unexpected but it seems like they didn't really try hard enough to bring in some one better or more proven than him.
I don't think they had the prep or even simply the psychological wherewithal to conduct a search at that time. It wasn't like Leach retired, or left for another job, or was fired...he unexpectedly died.

What they probably should have done, and what I was surprised they didn't do after the bowl game, was leave the interim tag on Arnett for this entire season. Sure, play the PR game and say he'll be considered for the full-time gig when the press asks you about it, but take all of 2023 to do a more normal coaching search to ID a guy with some more experience.

They kind of made the same mistake we made after Kiffin left, although they have a much, much better excuse.

I dunno mate. Dude has been giving press conferences this afternoon.

Somebody on one of their forums says that Gus didn't really want to talk to them about this gig-and he was plan A, plan B, etc

Basically Gus was the only one the big boosters were going to agree to fund the Pittman buyout.

They seem to think Pittman gets another year.

Last edited:
I dunno mate. Dude has been giving press conferences this afternoon.

Somebody on one of their forums says that Gus didn't really want to talk to them about this gig-and he was plan A, plan B, etc

Basically Gus was the only one the big boosters were going to agree to fund the Pittman buyout.

They seem to think Pittman gets another year.
With UCF in a major conference now, you could make the case it’s a better job than Arkansas anyway.

With UCF in a major conference now, you could make the case it’s a better job than Arkansas anyway.

Hard to really argue with that.

Gus already got his monster buyout courtesy of Auburn.

I'm not so sure I would be so anxious to go back to getting my head beaten in on a weekly basis which is about all that's going to happen at Arky 75 percent of the time.

Pretty much only things left in the B12 right now are a bunch of tall midgets. If UCF plays their cards right, they could be the big dog in that conference in a few years.

Hard to really argue with that.

Gus already got his monster buyout courtesy of Auburn.

I'm not so sure I would be so anxious to go back to getting my head beaten in on a weekly basis which is about all that's going to happen at Arky 75 percent of the time.

Pretty much only things left in the B12 right now are a bunch of tall midgets. If UCF plays their cards right, they could be the big dog in that conference in a few years.
Eh Petrino (and to a lesser extent Nutt with two trips to Atlanta) show that if you’re not just a terrible coach you can win 8-10 games at Arkansas every now and then. No different than Ole Miss who is rolling under Kiffin.

Rumor is the big money boosters that are willing to pay Pittman’s buyout are trying to influence the selection of the new coach and the AD isn’t going for that, so it may be at a stalemate.

Why are you arguing with me…Mullen couldn’t get it done at Florida.
Because he clearly succeeded post Dak. He didn’t win a NC in 3.5 years at UF that’s hardly a complete fail. And your analogy was just dumb, Butch didn’t sniff a NY6 bowl even with Dobbs. We all would’ve gladly taken Mullen’s first 3 years at UF. 10-3 average record, an SECCG appearance, 1-2 record vs UGA (1 loss by a TD) and 3 NY6 bowls. Don’t act like he’s a terrible HC. He’s better than anyone we’ve put on the field since 2001 Fulmer and would be a tossup with Heup.

Dude, I dont have the energy to get into a “Mullen is a great coach” debate, but literally no one is interested in Mullen. Literally nobody. He is not a recruiter, and he is not a game day coach. His reputation backs me up. Florida is where they are at this very moment because Dan Mullen was a terrible hire who was propped up by a rarely comes along talent.

Reactions: Godfatha
Eh Petrino (and to a lesser extent Nutt with two trips to Atlanta) show that if you’re not just a terrible coach you can win 8-10 games at Arkansas every now and then. No different than Ole Miss who is rolling under Kiffin.

Rumor is the big money boosters that are willing to pay Pittman’s buyout are trying to influence the selection of the new coach and the AD isn’t going for that, so it may be at a stalemate.

I will partially agree with you with the caveat that the SEC west was a different game before 2008. That league in 2008 was very different again thanit was in 2002.

Early 2000s LSU was just pulling out of decades of dysfunction. We know Bama was way down and then became a powerhouse again.

Simple fact is that in each "division" there are generally only going to be one great team and two pretty good teams.

Ole Miss kind of grabbed that 3 spot from Arky between the High Freeze run (even as badly as it ended) and Kiffs current run.

Sooner or later A&M is going to sort themselves out as well. Probably good for you guys that divisions are going away.

How many coaches have had second stints at places? The two that come to mind offhand (Bill Snyder and our own General Neyland) worked out OK.
Fulmer, sort of as interim HC when Majors was out at the start of 1992, then back to OC for balance of '92 and then '93 as HC after Majors was canned.

Mack Brown, UNC

Petrino, Louisville

Schiano, Rutgers

Stoops, Oklahoma for bowl game after Riley threw his fit and ran to the west coast

Last edited:
I will partially agree with you with the caveat that the SEC west was a different game before 2008. That league in 2008 was very different again thanit was in 2002.

Early 2000s LSU was just pulling out of decades of dysfunction. We know Bama was way down and then became a powerhouse again.

Simple fact is that in each "division" there are generally only going to be one great team and two pretty good teams.

Ole Miss kind of grabbed that 3 spot from Arky between the High Freeze run (even as badly as it ended) and Kiffs current run.

Sooner or later A&M is going to sort themselves out as well. Probably good for you guys that divisions are going away.
With OU and Texas coming there are going to be so many impatient programs firing coaches every 3 years because the SEC is going to be a jumbled mess of 6-6 to 8-4 teams. Just not sustainable for every team that expects to win 9+ every year. Transfer portal helping to even out the mid to lower half of the conference just adds more parity to it. High school recruiting still matters a lot but not to the extent it used to.

This year doesn’t really count. Pretty sad that you don’t know Arnett is better than Banks.
doesn't really count? pretty weak back step. Their offense taking a step back makes sense, but not their defense.

Banks has been making improvements every year he has been here. In pretty much every category. Points, yards, sacks/TFLs. Arnett has been consistently mediocre.

Even our pass D is pretty comparable, and probably better overall.

we have given up 60 yards more passing than they do, thats 6 yards a game. this is the only statistic where we are behind them defensively that I could find, across all categories.
we have given up 9 passing TDs to their 18.
Thats despite us facing 30 more passes.
We average allowing fewer yards per attempt and completion than they do.
Their opponents are averaging a 70% competition percentage against them, we are 65%.
we are tied for 7th with 33 sacks, they are tied for 49th with 23 sacks.
tied with the number of fumbles recovered.
We have 10 INTs, they have 6 INTs.
We are 24th in rushing Defense 113 yards a game, 3.17 average, 11 TDs given up
They are 53rd in rushing Defense, 143 yards a game, 4.00 average, 13 TDs given up.

Banks is nothing special, but to try and claim Arnett would be a big improvement is just laughable.

With OU and Texas coming there are going to be so many impatient programs firing coaches every 3 years because the SEC is going to be a jumbled mess of 6-6 to 8-4 teams. Just not sustainable for every team that expects to win 9+ every year. Transfer portal helping to even out the mid to lower half of the conference just adds more parity to it. High school recruiting still matters a lot but not to the extent it used to.
Arkansas, IMO, is a really tough job. Tough combo of 1) not a particularly easy place to win and 2) fairly high expectations. Generally speaking at places that have high expectations it is easier to win, or places where it is difficult to win have modest/low expectations. It seems like the moment you stop winning 8-9 games a year at Arky, they start thinking about firing you.

I get that this season has been disappointing, but the impression I got is that Pittman's seat starting getting warm last year even though he went 6-6 with a bowl win for 7 and had a nice 9-win season the season before.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back