Your expectations for 2020-2021 Season

What is your expectations for 2020-2021?

• Final Four

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • 25+ wins/Regular Season SEC or Tournament Title

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • 25+ wins regular season or Sweet 16

Votes: 54 36.5%
  • 20+ wins regular season/1 or more NCAAT win

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • NCAAT Appearance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winning Season

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I thought it’d be fun to create a poll for people’s expectations this year for Tennessee Basketball.

It should be noted that while this probably won’t happen, let’s assume that COVID-19 does not interfere with the season in any way in terms of games played and Tennessee Basketball is relatively healthy.

I picked six potential options. I know that won’t fit everything but I did the best I could do. I picked option C BTW

As far as expectations legitimately go, I think it’s hard to straight up expect more than a Sweet 16 considering how much we’re relying on freshman and with the unique offseason. I chose C because of that, even though I do think our team will do really well

Reactions: Manning Up
I went with B. I expect a championship, although I will take an Elite 8 appearance as a consolation prize

I’m hesitant to put a number on wins just because we don’t know what the season is going to look like. Even just considering the current schedule, as is, it’s hard to predict this team getting to 25 wins unless that includes postseason wins, as well. I’d put expectations at S16.

Are the options separate?

For example, C...is that 25+ wins AND S16, or is it either one?

Example C is either one. So you’d be fine with high regular season number or a lower regular season number but we got to the S16

I chose B.

We have good depth and the players to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

I have a feeling Fulkerson is going to show out his senior year.

Reactions: StrangeVol
I think some will say that it's Final Four our bust, because this is arguably our deepest roster in quite some time; however, since Tennessee has never made a Final Four I don't know if I'll ever be able to say that the expectation is a Final Four. To me, the floor should be a Sweet 16 appearance, but I have to say I would likely consider the season a failure if we don't make the Elite 8 because I think this team is just that talented and deep.

As for the number of wins, I think 24-25 seems reasonable. I would probably say 24-7 is a safe bet, which should get you a 5-Seed in the NCAA. Although I can't say a 5 seed is something I'd be thrilled with considering the depth and talent we have.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Gonna go with an option not listed. I think this year sets the course of our program for the next decade. I'm not a "Championship or bust" type of person but I think we have some really good success (probably with growing pains) that cements us as a program that's here to stay, even after Barnes. I think Barnes closes out his career with multiple highs (and preferably a few championship games) and we become a Top 5 program for the foreseeable future.

I think some will say that it's Final Four our bust, because this is arguably our deepest roster in quite some time; however, since Tennessee has never made a Final Four I don't know if I'll ever be able to say that the expectation is a Final Four. To me, the floor should be a Sweet 16 appearance, but I have to say I would likely consider the season a failure if we don't make the Elite 8 because I think this team is just that talented and deep.

As for the number of wins, I think 24-25 seems reasonable. I would probably say 24-7 is a safe bet, which should get you a 5-Seed in the NCAA. Although I can't say a 5 seed is something I'd be thrilled with considering the depth and talent we have.

Agreed, for the most part. My "expectation" is that we can win three games in the NCAA tournament and make the program's second Elite Eight, but I won't necessarily be disappointed or consider the season a failure if they fall just shy.

If UT bows out in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament, however, that will be supremely disappointing and nothing short of a #1 ranking during the season or a SEC Tournament title will save the campaign from being a failure.

A good mix of upper classmen and talented freshmen should be able to lead us deep into the tourney. The addition of Anosike's rebounding skills should give us an edge we lacked last season.

As far as expectations legitimately go, I think it’s hard to straight up expect more than a Sweet 16 considering how much we’re relying on freshman and with the unique offseason. I chose C because of that, even though I do think our team will do really well

Are we really relying on freshman though? This lineup would still be a pretty strong team:

Vescovi
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

I think the freshman are just a BIG added bonus.

Are we really relying on freshman though? This lineup would still be a pretty strong team:

Vescovi
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

You make a decent point, and they'd be pretty strong, plus there is no substitute for an additional year of experience, but that same group went 17-14 last season. We need the freshmen, and at least one, if not two of them, will likely replace two of the ones you mentioned above in the starting lineup at some point. So, I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I'd say we will be relying on them to some extent.

Reactions: KnoxKid

Vescovi
Bailey
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

Point well taken, but I feel like the freshmen are very important to anything beyond Sweet 16, at least. I think Springer and Johnson being a little less productive than JJJ last year can get us to a sweet 16, anything beyond that gives a really high ceiling.

Reactions: KnoxKid
I don't think it's fair to set NCAA expectations in general. It's such a crap shoot. I would think we're a S16 quality team, but that doesn't mean we're entitled to it. I will predict 25ish wins, and hopefully a deep NCAA run. Unlike last season, the tourney should be a given.
This is why I’m so adamant about not discounting the journey, even if the sport is generally judged as a tournament sport. The enjoyment I get from an entire season of successful basketball can hardly be ruined by a disappointing NCAAT run outside of a inexcusable loss on opening weekend to an inferior team in which we simply don’t show up. As you said, it’s such a crapshoot.

You make a decent point, and they'd be pretty strong, plus there is no substitute for an additional year of experience, but that same group went 17-14 last season. We need the freshmen, and at least one, if not two of them, will likely replace two of the ones you mentioned above in the starting lineup at some point. So, I guess it's a matter of perspective, but I'd say we will be relying on them to some extent.

Curious what our record would've looked like with a healthy LT all season? I think it would've improved. So in my opinion if these freshman can replace the contribution that LT (and Bowden) made, we should be better than last year overall. I would think 24ish wins with a good tourney run (hopefully E8+).

Curious what our record would've looked like with a healthy LT all season? I think it would've improved. So in my opinion if these freshman can replace the contribution that LT (and Bowden) made, we should be better than last year overall. I would think 24ish wins with a good tourney run (hopefully E8+).
Yeah, especially in the immediate aftermath of him taking a turn for the worse and then eventually opting out. He was maybe a difference in 4 more wins, perhaps.

This team has a great blend of older players and talented younger players. If Rick won't shorten his bench to only 7 players by the time of the NCAA tournament, I think this team is good enough to reach a Final 4 or Elite 8. But the draw of the tournament, as always, will go a long way. If the team remains healthy and the freshman are what we hope they are, they could go farther than any team before them. I'm hopeful for an SEC regular or tournament championship. I just don't see them winning 31 games like 2 years ago, but they could go farther in the tournament than that team did. I'll never forgive that Cline kid for Purdue for playing the game of his life that night against the Vols.

This is why I’m so adamant about not discounting the journey, even if the sport is generally judged as a tournament sport. The enjoyment I get from an entire season of successful basketball can hardly be ruined by a disappointing NCAAT run outside of a inexcusable loss on opening weekend to an inferior team in which we simply don’t show up. As you said, it’s such a crapshoot.
The NCAA tournament is very much akin to going to Vegas and rolling the dice. So many factors can come into play, including illness, injury, seeding, and yes, officiating. The factors can vary, but there are a bunch involved.

I think 25 plus wins with an SEC Championship and an Elite 8 run with an outside chance at the first Final Four could be very possible with this squad.

Reactions: StrangeVol
This team looks good conditioning-wise, and we have a lot of pieces we didn't have last year. Vescovi and Uros will have full seasons. We get Bailey and Anosike too, in addition to the heralded Freshmen. There is a lot to like about this team.

I went with final 4. That is my expectation, but I don't plan on dissing the team if they fall short, as long as they have an overall very successful season.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back