You Wanna Watch Some CLASSIC Tennessee Football...

What I find amazing is how our eyes thought 480x440 resolution at 33,000 pixels looked great back then...

Thank god for 1080p and beyond.

Reactions: Hacksaw
I'm always surprised when watching some of these old games, because I will anticipate a big play or see jersey numbers and have the players' names pop into my head. I really do have a terrible memory. It's weird to spontaneously recall these kinds of details in a game I haven't watched since the day it was played. Anyone else find themselves doing this or is it just me?

Yes. But can’t say it happens for me watching film of a game. If I go back to a city or town that I haven’t visited or thought of in a long, long time, I suddenly remember who lived in a house or where a church is located. It may be due to subconscious memory.

What I find amazing is how our eyes thought 480x440 resolution at 33,000 pixels looked great back then...

Thank god for 1080p and beyond.
In the commercial, the "giant 29-inch screen Sony for only $699" is sticker shock in reverse.

On the other hand, adding electronics to the equation for quantifying the official rate of inflation has since isolated Washington from economic reality. "Progress" truly is a two-faced b*tch!

Last edited:
A bunch of us just wore what we had. Fans were fans, and not everyone could afford fancy UT gear before WalMart and Dollar General started selling cheap crappy Tennessee shirts.
So many schools and businesses have now turned "casual Friday" into favorite sports jersey Friday. That ain't the cheap stuff they're wearing ('cept for that great kid who made his own shirt, back during football season).

I'm always surprised when watching some of these old games, because I will anticipate a big play or see jersey numbers and have the players' names pop into my head. I really do have a terrible memory. It's weird to spontaneously recall these kinds of details in a game I haven't watched since the day it was played. Anyone else find themselves doing this or is it just me?
Maybe because back in the day, there were seldom more that 2-3 college games to be seen on Saturday TV? Made the games special.

Gutsy play for 2 from what looks like the...3? Almost 4? yard line. What a play by Robinson.

Maybe because back in the day, there were seldom more that 2-3 college games to be seen on Saturday TV? Made the games special.

Yea, and remember the college football highlights that came on Sunday morning? Those were really special. Can't remember what station did 'em...........We only got 3-4 stations. Where we lived, we got one of the 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) out of Chattanooga, one out of Huntsville, and one out of Nashville.

Yea, and remember the college football highlights that came on Sunday morning? Those were really special. Can't remember what station did 'em...........We only got 3-4 stations. Where we lived, we got one of the 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC) out of Chattanooga, one out of Huntsville, and one out of Nashville.
I had forgotten those highlight shows! IIRC, in Chattanooga they came on immediately either before or after the Doug Dickey Show.

LOL--in church parking lots across the state, boys were tugging on their mom's arm, saying, "You can talk on the phone any time, Mom. We gotta get home!"

Guess it's your point of reference. Some look at AutoShack and '84 as the "good old days". Take it back another 20 years and that's my "classic UT". I'm sure there are guys still around who go back further.

Wow what a great trip down memory lane.
Some stuff I remember from that year, my first attending Vol games:

The Army opener, Tom Fisher, a huge (in that day) LB at 6'3 and 235, made the tackle inside the Army 20 on a kickoff but the Vols were offside and rekicked and Fisher made the tackle again inside the Army 20. His life would sadly be cut short in the near future, I think, in an auto accident following the season.

The tie with Bama happened because very late, Ken "Snake" Stabler, threw it out of bounds to stop the clock at the Vol 3- on 4th down. Vols took over and ran out the clock. I had forgotten that the tragic auto accident involving the assistant coaches was the following Monday. The entire community was in total shock.

The University of Houston's Warren McVea became the first African American to play in Neyland Stadium.

The UCLA game, which was played in Memphis and we listened to on the radio while playing backyard football, was an amazing offensive game. A questionable clipping call late on UCLA expedited Vols' win and Tommy Prothro, Bruins coach and Memphis native, said after the game he'd never play another game in the South again. He said nothing about the cheap shot a UCLA player did on safety Bobby Petrella on, I believe, the last play of the game. Game was dubbed the Rosebonnet Bowl.

Bluebonnet Bowl opponent Tulsa was led by QB Jerry Rhome and WR Howard Twilley who set NCAA record for season receptions. Rain helped but Vols were dominant.

As I recall, Austin Denney, on the year, caught 21 passes, 7 for TD"s and made All America. Middle guard Bobby Morrel checked in at 5'9" 220 pounds, and like his teammates, was one tough guy; DE Glen Gray weighed 190 pounds; defense allowed 10 points per game; Ron Widby, Vols basketball stud, was the All American punter; '65 was the first year of the Tennessee walking horse prancing the sidelines pregame and also the first year running through the T from the east sideline as well as the checkerboard end zones; the following year, Fulton got a lot of snaps at tailback and Paul Naumoff moved to LB and became All America; Bob Johnson eventually became the first draft pick in Cincinnati Bengal franchise history; Vols wore orange jerseys every game home or away; and leaving for Florida wasn't even remotely in Doug Dickey's mind. The John Ward era had yet to begin but the Dyergram was a Sunday morning newspaper staple.

I attended all the home games with my father and watching this clip of the season bought back so many fond memories and I hope I remembered the facts correctly,

Thank you--

VN Store

Back