You said to "mark it down", so I did.

traditionally Vols have beaten KY about 40% clip in bball. In football last time I checked the all time percentage against KY is about 88%. Wow and if you ask anyone which is more important, theyy will tell you the pigskin.

traditionally Vols have beaten KY about 40% clip in bball. In football last time I checked the all time percentage against KY is about 88%. Wow and if you ask anyone which is more important, theyy will tell you the pigskin.
If you ask anyone in Kentucky, it'd be the opposite. Perhaps it's most important because that's what each school is better at.

I have a lot of family from Kentucky, and they have been big UK fans their whole lives. They all seem to hate Gillespie. How do you feel about Billy "half time interview" Gillespie? Is the fanbase really behind him?

If you ask anyone in Kentucky, it'd be the opposite. Perhaps it's most important because that's what each school is better at.

Now I am a big basketball fan as well, I even watched all the games I could during Buzzball, but come on, this is the SEC. 11 out of 12 teams believe football is more important. And I don't think it is that much of a coincidence that Commonwealth Stadium has nearly three times as much people to watch a game than Rupp does.

Now I am a big basketball fan as well, I even watched all the games I could during Buzzball, but come on, this is the SEC. 11 out of 12 teams believe football is more important. And I don't think it is that much of a coincidence that Commonwealth Stadium has nearly three times as much people to watch a game than Rupp does.

lame

Gillespie will be lucky to be there for two more years. His arrogance has ruffled lots of feathers and he continues to ignore requests to sign his contract. His personality is far removed from Tubbys and Pitinos.

What's so lame? If basketball was so much bigger, like the Cats try to make it out to be, shouldn't Rupp be the size of the Georgia Dome and Commonwealth be the size of Finley Stadium, or even smaller? There is a reason there are many 90,000+ capacity football stadiums that have less than 15,000 capacity for basketball.

Last edited:
What's so lame? If basketball was so much bigger, like the Cats try to make it out to be, shouldn't Rupp be the size of the Georgia Dome and Commonwealth be the size of Finley Stadium, or even smaller? There is a reason there are many 90,000+ capacity football stadiums that have less than 15,000 capacity for basketball.

The SEC is all about Football, there is no doubt about. Now... had Bear Bryant stayed at Kentucky instead of leaving for Alabama, then maybe this conversation never exists. lol But Rupp and Bear could not co-exist. KY is hoops country, and UT is football country. The passion is the same, the scope is different.

Your right, its not feasible to build a basketball arena much bigger than rupp. If your could build a 60,000 seat bb arena uk would have it. Just sayin.

The SEC is all about Football, there is no doubt about. Now... had Bear Bryant stayed at Kentucky instead of leaving for Alabama, then maybe this conversation never exists. lol But Rupp and Bear could not co-exist. KY is hoops country, and UT is football country. The passion is the same, the scope is different.

I think the Bryant/Rupp era is when KY fans decided what they would rather win at.

I have a lot of family from Kentucky, and they have been big UK fans their whole lives. They all seem to hate Gillespie. How do you feel about Billy "half time interview" Gillespie? Is the fanbase really behind him?
I can only speak from my neck of the woods. Overall, the folks are restless with Billy G. Tubby was a class act. Pitino could be a bit arrogant, but he was a winner. Billy G is arrogant and he's lost to Gardner Webb and VMI during his short tenure. I'm not sure he's realized just how white hot the light is in Lexington.

The friends I've spoke to, one of which is a season ticket holder, thinks he's a classless butthole. All I can say is he'd better win.....a lot.

So, I guess because Kenan Stadium holds 60,000 and the Dean Smith Center holds about a third of that, it's safe to say North Carolina holds football in higher regards than hoops, right?

Don't be a dopey, man.

Make no mistake, Kentucky fans love football as well. They/We would love to have a program contending for the SEC Championship. Hopefully I'll see it within my lifetime, but this is a basketball state first, football second.

So, I guess because Kenan Stadium holds 60,000 and the Dean Smith Center holds about a third of that, it's safe to say North Carolina holds football in higher regards than hoops, right?

Don't be a dopey, man.
maybe not today, but it does say that they'd sure like to see some transition toward the sport that makes all the money.

I can only speak from my neck of the woods. Overall, the folks are restless with Billy G. Tubby was a class act. Pitino could be a bit arrogant, but he was a winner. Billy G is arrogant and he's lost to Gardner Webb and VMI during his short tenure. I'm not sure he's realized just how white hot the light is in Lexington.

The friends I've spoke to, one of which is a season ticket holder, thinks he's a classless butthole. All I can say is he'd better win.....a lot.

That is the impression I get from most UK fans I talk to. Problem is they won't have a roster to win a lot of games with if Patterson and Meeks leave.

I don't see BG staying in Lexington too long, and I wonder if they will make a run at Calipari next. Living in Memphis I can tell you that Coach Cal talks about Kentucky whenever he gets the chance, and he would jump all over that job and have the Cats in the Final 4 in 3 years tops.

maybe not today, but it does say that they'd sure like to see some transition toward the sport that makes all the money.
Are you sure? Or does it really say it's not realistic to watch a basketball game from the upper deck of a football stadium? That's why these big venues such as the Georgia Dome, RCA Dome and others have to be curtained off in the middle of the arena.

VN Store

Back