You can’t make this up...

To hear the coach of a losing team make these comments post game is bizarre! Hello Pruitt, we lost so no it was not a good game offensively or defensively, sounds like he is just trying to CYA on his original decision to go with JG no matter what. At this point, his stubbornness on proving he was right, is clouding his judgement on everything. The loss is not all about JG, its that we stunk in every facet of the game.

And? He played against the #2 team and a Saban defense. You don't think he played well?
Outside of a disastrous fumble and the fact the RBs couldn't break a tackle from my grandma, the offense played pretty well considering the previous 6 quarters.
The defense never gave them a shot.

It was actually one of JGs better games. He wasn’t why we lost. The bad thing is he can’t be expected to play like that the next game

Yes he is the reason we lost. We ran the ball 75% of the time. Into a loaded box on almost every play. Why do you think teams absolutely sell out to stop our run? And why do you believe our coaches continue to call run plays when the defense has 18 players within 3 yards of the loc? They are not fearful of our qb. The qb play effects every position. Our defense is constantly out on the field because we go 3 and out so often. You don’t think after a long drive having the offense go 3 and out negativity impacts the defense? So yes...our lack of a passing attack is why we lost. And that’s due to Jg’s limitations as a qb.

It was actually one of JGs better games. He wasn’t why we lost. The bad thing is he can’t be expected to play like that the next game
See... that's the problem many have. It isn't what he "does" that makes him the wrong guy. It is what he cannot do... and what the coaches cannot trust him to do. How many times did UT challenge the deep middle of the field? They can't against a talented secondary. He struggles to anticipate throws and doesn't have good field awareness. They throw to the outside so the sideline limits what he has to read. Opposing teams know that. He's made some nice sideline throws but opposing D's are willing to live with that risk if it allows them to play down hill against UT's run game. They also know that they can blitz JG with impunity. He won't make them pay. Those blitzes further limit the number of shots available down the sideline.

In short, it isn't just mistakes that cause him to hurt the O. It is his limitations. Within what he's capable of... you're right. That was one of JG's "better games". The problem is that it isn't nearly enough.

The bigger problem is the Pruitt keeps running him out there rather than going with a guy who potentially has a higher ceiling... assuring more wins in the future if not now.

The loss was more about our defense not being able to stop Bama's offense.

Georgia arguably has the best defense in the nation and even they gave up 41 points to Bama. The argument that the defense should've held the best offense in college football to 14 points is a not a particularly realistic one. If the offense did its job and the D holds Bama to maybe 30, we could win. And our offense gave them 7 points, so you're basically saying the D should've held Alabama to 7 points.

our running backs are either the weakest in the league or our entire defense is weak. opposing rbs are always falling forward, making guys miss, and dragging orange players for yards after contact.

It has more to do with the fact that opposing defenses know they can focus on stopping the run. Our running stats weren't bad; 3.7 ypc. Alabama averaged 4.3 ypc. I have to think our 3.7 could go somewhere in the 4.5 - 5.0 range if the opposing D actually respected the pass game. In fact, I'll go so far as to say, I think our running game is better than Bama's, but the difference is that Alabama's passing game forced us to focus on that, opening up more room for Najee Harris. Eric Gray and Ty Chandler simply do not enjoy the same benefit.

Last edited:
The loss was more about our defense not being able to stop Bama's offense.

true to an extent. when we run the ball on 2nd 18 or 3rd and 12 we are saying we don’t trust the qb. seventeen points ain’t gonna cut it. If we had a qb out there we wouldnt have been running the ball in the fourth quarter.

And? He played against the #2 team and a Saban defense. You don't think he played well?
Outside of a disastrous fumble and the fact the RBs couldn't break a tackle from my grandma, the offense played pretty well considering the previous 6 quarters.
The defense never gave them a shot.
13/24 (54%) for 162... you’re saying that’s good?

Georgia arguably has the best defense in the nation and even they gave up 41 points to Bama. The argument that the defense should've held the best offense in college football to 14 points is a not a particularly realistic one. If the offense did its job and the D holds Bama to maybe 30, we could win. And our offense gave them 7 points, so you're basically saying the D should've held Alabama to 7 points.
I never argued that; I simply said JG could have had the game of his life, and we would have still lost.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back