yo, South Pittsburg folks???????

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
Do the locals consider themselves part of East Tennessee or Middle Tennessee? Enjoyed watching them this afternoon. I used to travel from the Huntsville area to Knoxville a lot and passed through that area a lot and grew fond of it..... Lodge, fireworks, et. al. Seems like I also remember that they were the last school to give up on the single wing. Is that correct or just another memory issue due to massive fumes off birthday candles? Getting ready for the Powell game as we speak.

Reactions: Bret178
Do the locals consider themselves part of East Tennessee or Middle Tennessee? Enjoyed watching them this afternoon. I used to travel from the Huntsville area to Knoxville a lot and passed through that area a lot and grew fond of it..... Lodge, fireworks, et. al. Seems like I also remember that they were the last school to give up on the single wing. Is that correct or just another memory issue due to massive fumes off birthday candles? Getting ready for the Powell game as we speak.
We stopped the single wing in 92. Power P pride. Good year.
Not sure Taylor is a legit player.

Reactions: feathersax
From a media point of view, when I worked at the CBS station in Knoxville, we referred to South Pittsburg as being "Middle Tennessee."

East Tennessee

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I'm well versed in the Plateau/Mtn. line and which Hillbillies go on either side. S. Pittsburg is East, Southeast if you are from Middle. Cowan is the last Middle TN town going East at the bottom of the Great State. Grundy Co. is somewhat like "no man's land", especially on top of the mountain. East of Crossville is East, West of Crossville is Middle. North of Greenville is Upper East. I'm not sure if you are from the East, you call it "Upper East" or just "East".
I hope this helps.

We are east TN. Monteagle area to me personally is still east Tn. Cowan would be middle along with Pelham Hillsboro and Manchester. That’s where I draw the line. Btw PIRATES 1A STATES CHAMPS!!!

Thanks to all. I would have thought East with the proximity to Nooga... but did not rule out the time zone line as the delimiter.

We are east TN. Monteagle area to me personally is still east Tn. Cowan would be middle along with Pelham Hillsboro and Manchester. That’s where I draw the line. Btw PIRATES 1A STATES CHAMPS!!!
I've killed a lot of deer outside Cowan, Carter's Mtn. Drove every weekend from Cleveland bc the mountain deer were few and far between. Love that area.

I live in upper east Tennessee. Many folks do refer to it as that. Not to be a picky witch, which I am, but Greeneville is spelled with four e's.

Reactions: StarRaider
From a media point of view, when I worked at the CBS station in Knoxville, we referred to South Pittsburg as being "Middle Tennessee."

I'm from just east of the Tenn river (I mean just!) and we have been considered wests Tn. all my life even though we lie in middle Tn.. Over the years due to roads etc. our folks migrated to Memphis or Jackson for most things. However, with better roads etc. and what I call "the fall of Memphis and Jackson" many if not most folks "go to Nashville" (meaning Cool Springs, entertainment, sports, medical, name it) for nearly everything. Now as to your question, I have always considered the Cumberland Plateau as the point of divide between mid and east TN.

1638631184283.gif

I've killed a lot of deer outside Cowan, Carter's Mtn. Drove every weekend from Cleveland bc the mountain deer were few and far between. Love that area.
@GAVol21 these mountain deer are hard to hunt. Still haven’t figured it out yet. Carter mountain has always produced good deer.

Thanks to all. I would have thought East with the proximity to Nooga... but did not rule out the time zone line as the delimiter.

Since Chattanooga borders Georgia, you have to consider it EAST Tennessee. Nashville is called Middle Tennessee, and I would say that West of Winchester would be the Dividing line. The Fact that the State juts of Radically to the East once you get North of Cleveland and Butts into N.Carolina really has no bearing on the designation along the Southern Border. PIRATES! I graduated from SP.

'92 was my senior year at Copper Basin. I definitely remember playing against the side saddle, single wing of South Pitt. They brought everything plus the kitchen sink around the tackles on sweeps in that offense.

Since Chattanooga borders Georgia, you have to consider it EAST Tennessee. Nashville is called Middle Tennessee, and I would say that West of Winchester would be the Dividing line. The Fact that the State juts of Radically to the East once you get North of Cleveland and Butts into N.Carolina really has no bearing on the designation along the Southern Border. PIRATES! I graduated from SP.

That is why I asked the question. Since the city border is also the state line with Alabama, I thought they might relate to their central time zone, but understand the linkage to Chattanooga/ GA area. Used to use 72 to get back to Ktown from Guntersville AL during my years there in about an hour.

VN Store

Back