Year 4 ... Same Old JG

I'm listening to Voluntary Reaction and Houston Kress made a descent point. Here is JG's stat line for the night.

19/31 259 Yards 8.4 YPC 1 TD 1 Rushing TD, 62% Completion Percentage. Zero turnovers.

JG needs to be better if we are going to win big games, but we're supposed to be a defensive-minded team under Pruitt and we gave up 27 points to a bad South Carolina offense and let one wide-receiver consistently torch our secondary.

There is a lot to improve upon. A lot. But our defense needs to be better. That stat line will help you win a lot of games in the SEC if you just play good defense.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
19-31 for 260 1td pass and 1 on the ground and the big on ZERO turnovers. Yeah he missed on a few but damn the hate is not justified. He played well for a college quarterback.... He’s Tennessee’s QB1 y’all need to quit with the hate... gotta a lot of “what he needs to do BS” it’s easy to play SEC football as a grown man from your couch. He’s a kid Give It a rest. Either cheer for every Vol or find another team. It’s simple NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION OR MINE. Just take this W and enjoy it. GB🍊

The JG hate will never stop. We won a meaningful game tonight no matter how delusional you were that we were going to blow this team out of the water. Literally nobody but this message board thought Tennessee was going to demolish South Carolina with ease.
JG had nearly 300 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no interceptions and threw some beautiful balls. Y’all seem to only remember the incompletions, which also were not that bad statistically, nor did he make any glaring mistakes. He’s not great, but to jump him like this after we just won makes you look like spoiled brats. Hush child.

Lol you’re drunk. JG is a bad passer though. At least he did go through his progressions for the first time maybe ever and avoid catastrophic mistakes. Not a terrible first game his passing ability is what it is
It was remarked here that he was staring down receivers repeatedly. So he went through his progressions one or two plays. That is not going to get it done.

Pruitt and Chaney like him because he doesn't turn it over. There's value in that. It does make me pull my hair out to watch him airmail wide open guys on third down though. But he manages the game and doesn't turn it over. As long as that continues, he'll be the guy.

KJ Costello comes out and throws for 600+ yards and 5 TDs in his first game ever with Mississippi State against LSU, and we're here talking about how nice it is that JG didn't turn the ball over.

He's a 5th year senior FFS...

Good grief what an idiotic comparison. Costello playing in an air raid offense where he threw 60 times and had a WORSE completion percentage than JG AND threw 2 INTs one of which was returned for a TD. If you doubled JGs attempts you would have 38 of 62 for 518 Yards and 2 TDs. Seriously stupid comparison.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
The golf analogy is probably a good one. He is who he is at this point, regardless of who everyone wants him to be.

He missed some throws and was high on a lot of his passes, but he seemed to make the right reads most of the time and he didn't turn the ball over. He didn't play as well as I hoped he would, though.
We were 1/12 on 3rd down conversions. It’s a damn miracle that we won this game. It’s amazing that Pruitt can look the other players in the eye while continuing to start JG at QB. I’ve said it before, and I will say it again. I don’t care how good he is in practices. He is atrocious in games, and there is no way that Pruitt can look at that performance and say that he gives the team the best chance to win games.

Last edited:
Completion percentage above 3 yards? JG is the worst QB I've seen play for UT in a looooooong time. You people must be soccer fans or some sh. He overthrows everyone on the field.....misses open targets badly...but gets bailed out by one handed catches and pooch screens that go for big yardage. I thought you guys watched football????

Completion percentage above 3 yards? JG is the worst QB I've seen play for UT in a looooooong time. You people must be soccer fans or some sh. He overthrows everyone on the field.....misses open targets badly...but gets bailed out by one handed catches and pooch screens that go for big yardage. I thought you guys watched football????

You must remember Nick Stephens.

Good grief what an idiotic comparison. Costello playing in an air raid offense where he threw 60 times and had a WORSE completion percentage than JG AND threw 2 INTs one of which was returned for a TD. If you doubled JGs attempts you would have 38 of 62 for 518 Yards and 2 TDs. Seriously stupid comparison.

Costello's first game ever in an air raid offense, and he performed well enough to beat LSU.

We've got a 5th year senior who still can't make basic throws consistently, and you're in here crowing on about how we should all be happy that he didn't turn it over against a terrible USCe.

Costello's first game ever in an air raid offense, and he performed well enough to beat LSU.

We've got a 5th year senior who still can't make basic throws consistently, and you're in here crowing on about how we should all be happy that he didn't turn it over against a terrible USCe.
As opposed to a backup QB who is apparently even worse than JG?

This isn’t the pros. There aren’t any number 1 draft picks if you take your lumps with a new qb When you go 3-7. You just have a pitiful recruiting year and get set back even further.

But on the other hand we may go 9 and 1 with a different qb, we win in spite of jg. He just simply cannot complete downfield passes consistantly. And still takes too long to throw.

Boo friggin hoo you whiny bunch of fair weather fan cry babies! Waa waa Guarantano isn’t any good... waa waa we are supposed to be awesome on defense because of Pruitt.

We won the game...a road SEC game! Who knows how good South Carolina is or will be. Our team lost a lot of key talent and went out there and took care of business. Lots to build on here so please step away from the ledge and enjoy the win.

I remember them all......good and bad. I was a freshmen in 1989. This guy doesn't have the head for this. He rockets balls that need touch..and his team bails him out on the stat sheet. What's your point?
My point is that you clearly don't have a good memory if you think JG is the worst we've had.

As opposed to a backup QB who is apparently even worse than JG?

Based on what? Why should anyone trust this staff's ability to evaluate a QB at this point?

Again, if the rest of our QB room is worse than JG, and can't make the throws he was missing all night, then we need to replace those responsible for developing QBs.

There is zero excuse for not having a competent QB going into Pruitt's third season.

To be fair, 2 big throws were dropped. Though it is obvious that JG still has a problem overthrowing receivers. Hopefully it's just 1st game jitters. Otherwise, I was happy with the performance. Especially late game.

To me, the SC QB did not seem to have "first game jitters."
And that was his very first game with a new team and in a new stadium.

VN Store

Back