Yahoo Sports/Pete Thamel Article Says Coaches Expect UT to Flop at the Dance

therealitytheory

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklin Pierce
The four teams to avoid picking for your bracket and they've listed our Vols #1. A lot of it deals with Fulky's injury but the unnamed coaches comments are interesting - especially the one about VB Jr.

Not that we needed more motivation, but here's some nonetheless.
NCAA tournament: 4 teams to avoid while filling out bracket (yahoo.com)

Kind of hard to argue with it really, though over the last 3 games, there’s been some improvement. We must find a way to limit turnovers and rebound better IMO. However, it’s hard to argue with the article.

The Vols have to be one of the most unpredictable teams in the tournament. When we take care of the ball and rebound we’re a really tough out. Problem is our shooting has been so inconsistent and one of our starters may not play. There’s maybe 12-15 teams that could win it all and UT is one of them IMO. They’re also capable of losing any game they play

I don't think we'll go far in the tournament, but the potential to "flop" is rather limited. We're only expected to beat Oregon State, so we can "flop" against them, but no one is really expecting us to beat Oklahoma State (who should've been a 2 or 3 seed) anyway.

We are going to have to play two of the hottest teams in the country to survive the first weekend. I won’t be picking us to win those two games

Reactions: overseasorange2
They've watched them all year go 4-5 minutes without points, turn the ball over repeatedly, and not string any kind of consistency together. They won't make it out of the first weekend.

Without Fulky I can’t see us winning beyond the first game. They need to catch fire ASAP or it’s a quick out.

Reactions: overseasorange2
If we play like we did in the SEC tourney (big if) then we roll in the opening game.

Well since I keep getting a warning for the site, I'll avoid reading it.

Doesn't seem to be a problem for anybody else, but here ya go:

604ec67d9505d732ff688f46_o_U_v2.jpg

Scroll back up to restore default view.
Yahoo Sports
March Madness: 4 teams coaches are expecting to flop in NCAA tournament

Pete Thamel

March 14, 2021, 11:50 PM·6 min read

The college coaches across the country are, in reality, the most qualified to advise you on your NCAA tournament bracket. They are fluent in KenPom, watch film until sunrise and understand the weaknesses, matchups and nuances that differentiate the underdogs from the dogs. Yahoo Sports spoke with a dozen coaches this weekend about teams they felt were vulnerable in this NCAA tournament.
Here’s a breakdown of their observations with compiled quotes detailing who the sport’s most dialed-in experts will be immediately tossing from their bracket.
No. 5 Tennessee
Record: 18-8
First-round matchup: No. 12 Oregon State (17-12)
The status of 6-foot-9 Vols forward John Fulkerson remains in flux after he fractured his face taking two dirty elbows from Florida’s Omar Payne. (He also sustained a concussion on the play.) He’s the Vols’ second-leading rebounder (5.5 per game) and fourth-leading scorer (9.5) who averages more than 26 minutes per game. For a team that has struggled to find an offensive identity and flow all season, it’s a potentially crushing blow. (Tennessee hasn’t officially ruled him out of the tournament, but it’s hard to imagine him playing a vital role imminently.) The Vols have two potential one-and-done first-round NBA draft picks in guards Jaden Springer and Keon Johnson, but still haven’t quite been able to blend them into a veteran lineup and make the offense operate like a symphony.
Why they are vulnerable: “They haven’t been able to find consistent outside shooting. They have too many guys who come off the bench and don’t always fit with the other guys, Victor Bailey being one of them. Some of their issues are that they only really have one point guard, Santiago Vescovi. He’s the only one of them who can truly get other guys shots. They can play drive and kick, but Vescovi is the only one who can set other guys up. If they don’t have Fulkerson, they are going to miss him and that’s a huge difference.

Not a lot to disagree with here. I do question the Victor Bailey comment though. The team lacks shooting then a sentence later it states that the team's best shooter,Bailey, doesn't fit with the team. Huh?????

Well this article won't make the Vescovi haters happy.

I'm not totally following the logic of the full article because some of the Villanova writing sounds confusing and he lost me with #12 seed Georgetown.

I mean, it’s harsh, and as fans it’s not fun to hear, but I can’t argue with their logic. We’ve now completed both a regular season and a conference tournament and the inherent flaws that have been with us are still there. No matter what Barnes says about how great this team feels and how our best basketball is ahead of us, it’s hard to imagine that everything will magically click this weekend after months of doing the opposite.

One of our biggest sins is turning over the basketball and in our most recent game against Alabama we had TWENTY turnovers. How do you clean that up in just 5 days?

As another poster pointed out, I’m not sure how you could consider us a flop anyway. Tons of people have Oklahoma State as a trendy Final Four pick because of Cade Cunningham, so no one outside of our fan bubble expects us to win Game 2. If that’s the case, how can you classify us a flop?

Seems to be we’re playing with House money. Maybe we can surprise.

Reactions: 08Vol and ArdentVol
We seem to play one good game, then one bad. The bama game was bad (second half was anyway), so we should pound the beavers (just for you mojo) then probably beat ourselves with TOs and missed jumpshots against the cowgirls.

We have basically an identical 3pt % to Oklahoma State. Our mention in this article is entirely about one of if not our most productive players not being able to play. You could put any team in the tournament on the list under that condition.

VN Store

Back