Yahoo claiming Bray and Couch (among others) took cash? (Merged)

Yep, that's my line of thinking as well. Couch has a wife and child and bills. It may be a violation of NCAA rules, but what "legal" options does he have to earn money? If I'm honest with myself, I'm not sure I wouldn't take the money myself. Throw in circumstances like, being behind on rent, child needs medicine, etc... I'm not casting any stones.

i agree 100%-I'm damn sure not casting any stones. Having to break a rule and choosing to break a rule is a decision that I can't say I wouldn't have done (if given the opportunity). But that doesn't change that it is still, in fact, a rule.

Yep, that's my line of thinking as well. Couch has a wife and child and bills. It may be a violation of NCAA rules, but what "legal" options does he have to earn money? If I'm honest with myself, I'm not sure I wouldn't take the money myself. Throw in circumstances like, being behind on rent, child needs medicine, etc... I'm not casting any stones.

Someone earlier in this thread suggested that if that's the case then Mo should just quit the team and get a job to support his family. Seems harsh... thoughts?

Been stated a couple times, but a valid ID is not required to pick up money from Western Union. You can get the cash at a gas station, I can guarantee they don't care who gets that money. You once could get the money with just a code and knowing the sender name, no ID, straight cash from the register. I'm not sure if that has changed.

Western Union is one of the highest scammed items out there. It's fairly easy to get your money even if you gotta show ID. Fake ID solves that problem.

I'm also curious why they don't have listed where in Tennessee it was picked up. I'm guessing they don't know, which further decreases the odds of proving who actually got the money.

If we're having an ethics discussion, "expedient/convenient" is not the barometer of "right thing to do".

I know that. I was just saying that a college degree isn't a very good fall back plan for him. And by no means was I trying to start an ethics discussion on here lol

Couch needs to leave the university immediately. that's all there is to this. as it may limit what damage we receive.

Reactions: 1 person
Someone earlier in this thread suggested that if that's the case then Mo should just quit the team and get a job to support his family. Seems harsh... thoughts?

With him being so close to earning a degree that could affect his financial future? I'd say not a chance! Couch isn't here JUST to play football (shocking I know). He's here to earn a college degree that will help him eventually land a better, higher paying job. Dropping out now would be the biggest mistake of his life!

Couch needs to leave the university immediately. that's all there is to this. as it may limit what damage we receive.

We won't receive any damage. AJ Green got $1000 for selling his jersey, he had to repay that back and serve a 4 game suspension.

To me, this situation is about the same for us.

We won't receive any damage. AJ Green got $1000 for selling his jersey, he had to repay that back and serve a 4 game suspension.

The difference for Couch is that there's an agent involved.

With him being so close to earning a degree that could affect his financial future? I'd say not a chance! Couch isn't here JUST to play football (shocking I know). He's here to earn a college degree that will help him eventually land a better, higher paying job. Dropping out now would be the biggest mistake of his life!

The poster suggested quitting the team and remaining in school. Of course, he would have to apply for financial aid to pay for school if he's not on scholarship.

Quitting the team, which would therefore void his scholly, and getting a job, would certainly be an option. He could bide his time and try to get on with a pro team. Of course, unlike Bray, who got an invite to the NFL Combine, Couch would have a much harder road.

By my count, he allegedly took $1350. If he made $8/Hr, worked a 40 hour week, $320/week(taxes not considered) he'd make $1600 in 5 weeks.

If he doesn't get on with an NFL team, he's given up his education and to improve his life after football, he'd have to maintain that job and most of the money would go to UT, as he re-enrolls to finish his degree.

I don't pretend to know anything about Couch's circumstances. As I said if I'm on honest with myself, if I was a married dad, and someone was going to "help" me out based on what I might earn later, I'd be tempted, at least.

The person who suggested it was me. And I actually suggested that he quit football and finish his degree while working. He would incur debt but it is the only option he has afforded himself.

The poster suggested quitting the team and remaining in school. Of course, he would have to apply for financial aid to pay for school if he's not on scholarship.

He wouldn't even be qualified for financial aid seeing as he is from FL. He would be looking at 30k out of state tuition and he would only have his academic record to stand on for scholarships.

Nothing will come of this, good grief you people have a major case of "battered wife" syndrome. The worst thing that can happen is Couch will be suspended. The university had nothing to do with it nor did any coach just some rogue NFL agent. We have a game Saturday and this thing has 49 pages.:unsure:

Reactions: 3 people

It's different in that it was cash from an agent. That is a serious hot button for NCAA. Money is money in the minds of normal people, but this is the NCAA we're talking about. It will likely be a minor thing though as long as the university works closely with them.:peace2:

Everybody keeps saying Couch needs to "just repay the money" like he's got an extra thousand dollars sitting around in his bank account. He'd probably have to commit another violation to repay the first.

O.K., here's my working theory... no proof, it's purely speculation. This guy Rand Getlin goes to USC. He has connections. He's a well connected guy who makes some scratch. He is also an Oregon grad. So he puts some cash on the game. Makes some bets he should't have. bets the spread.

So now he's scared...he's not going to cover. he has connections with Kiffen and donates to USC. Maybe he has held back on a Kiffen story in the past and Kiffen owes him. See where this is going? He needs to increase the odds of covering his bets maybe? There are other people involved...obviously from BAMA. Kiffen says I know a guy you can talk to that will point you in the right direction...
You need to get some sleep.

Reactions: 1 person
Everybody keeps saying Couch needs to "just repay the money" like he's got an extra thousand dollars sitting around in his bank account. He'd probably have to commit another violation to repay the first.

that always cracks me up. Kids don't have the money, so they take it. Then they pay it back. If they didn't have it, where did the payback money come from. I assume Yahoo will be looking into that soon. Probably comes from the same person, just through another channel.

It has nothing to do with it if you are not signed with an agent. It has the same effect as any random person giving a player money.

I know, that's why I said the cases are similar. AJ Green sold his jersey to a guy to have extra money, the amount was $1000. NCAA deemed he violated the agent benefits rule. This guy wasn't an actual agent, but he ended up being labeled as one by the NCAA.

Couch just took money from a guy, who got his money from an agent, in the amount of $950. To me, if anything the NCAA would rule that he violated the agent benefit rule. So he should get a comparable punishment.

That's just my take on it.

VN Store

Back