'19 WV OL Darnell Wright (Tennessee signee)

I said a couple months ago after visiting Huntington he was not coming here. Of course as it was bad news I was blasted...
Because you VISITED HUNTINGTON and talked to Joe the Barber and Sheila the Barfly. Need to up your insider game. Remember your same prescience during the Richmond recruitment?

Im trying to figure out why everyone is still obsessed with recruiting site stars. Have we not seen all these teams win with low ranked classes? Have we not seen TN crap the bed with high ranked classes? Develop what you get. Thats it. Lets worry about top 5 classes once we can get to a bowl. Right now its not realistic.

Im trying to figure out why everyone is still obsessed with recruiting site stars. Have we not seen all these teams win with low ranked classes? Have we not seen TN crap the bed with high ranked classes? Develop what you get. Thats it. Lets worry about top 5 classes once we can get to a bowl. Right now its not realistic.
So how many national champions or SEC champions for that matter won without having top recruiting classes?

Were you not one of those yourself Newt ? Has the realization set in ?

So how many national champions or SEC champions for that matter won without having top recruiting classes?
Wait a minute. Virginia Tech takes 2 and 3* players every year and Bud Foster.....eerrrrr....no he doesn't. Hey, I think you have a point there. Just follow the hype train and watch it ride off the rails as it continues along. Keep watching it as the wheels begin to fall off of it and the hypers jump train just before it crashes. It is almost comical. It sells at a good price considering it is a one way ticket to depression

Were you not one of those yourself Newt ? Has the realization set in ?

If we can get the ones we have a real chance with (Gray, Wright) then hey thats great but id rather trust this staffs eval on players and even more so they have to develop what they get, that is what we need to climb out of this abyss and that is what i will concern myself with. Comprende?

If we can get the ones we have a real chance with (Gray, Wright) then hey thats great but id rather trust this staffs eval on players and even more so they have to develop what they get, that is what we need to climb out of this abyss and that is what i will concern myself with. Comprende?
Gray would be great. I'm really worried about the Wright thing though. Some started lowering their appraisal of him but from what I saw he has all the tools to become a very good one. I think several have began to question whether he comes here so as always they begin to find fault.

If the coaches want him i do. Regardless what anyone says Friend is an elite OL coach.
Can't be. He couldn't get elite performances from players who didn't try, or were injured, or were poor Butch picks, or weren't built up with good S&C for years.

Reactions: SugarCC
Again lets get to a bowl first then we can worry about going toe to toe with those two in recruiting. People need to stop getting hung up on optics.
TN is not in the same peer group as bama and UGA.

Let's get to the point where we're winning the majority of game s against MO, USCe, vandy, UK.

Then see if we're in shouting distance of those teams.

We have a long way to go. No matter where this class finishes.

TN is not in the same peer group as bama and UGA.

Let's get to the point where we're winning the majority of game s against MO, USCe, vandy, UK.

Then see if we're in shouting distance of those teams.

We have a long way to go. No matter where this class finishes.

You don’t have to be in the same peer group as those two to sign a top 10 class.

@secking What's the scoop on Wright and UGA? I'm hearing some chatter about Pittman snatching Wright from under TN.
Tweet about "Tennesee fans will hate Pittman when they see what’s about to go down...Give it time." Know anything on this?
Just typical message board bluster this time of year. I wouldn't read too much into it. He's schedule to visit next weekend. That'll be an interesting visit if he makes it, because he's never been to Athens. UGA definitely wants to sign at least one more OT. Top targets look to be; Neal, Wright and Keegan. Keep an eye on Truss's commitment to get a better idea on what's going on behind the scenes. If he decommits then that may indicate that UGA feels good about two of the remaining three top targets instead of just one. I do believe these last two weeks are critical in recruiting. Every team is going all out to close strong. An example would be Bama flipping Hill from Michigan. No one really saw that coming except Bama and Hill.

Again lets get to a bowl first then we can worry about going toe to toe with those two in recruiting. People need to stop getting hung up on optics.

I agree with you about getting to the bowl first but optics aren’t the other problem. Fans need to accept that for the next few years, on and off the field, UT is competing with UK, Vandy, USCe, and Missouri, not UGA, FL, and UA. That’s hard to accept but assessing UT’s performance relative to those top teams is just an exercise in inevitable aggravation right now.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
You don’t have to be in the same peer group as those two to sign a top 10 class.
That's not what we were talking about.

You're not wrong.

But where this class ranks just doesn't mean much to the immediate future of this program. How this class is developed, does.

There will be better recruiting classes in the future. Probably starting in 20

You're not wrong.

But where this class ranks just doesn't mean much to the immediate future of this program. How this class is developed, does.

Bingo.

You're not wrong.

Okay. Newt flat out said he doesn’t care about rankings.

Of course development matters.

VN Store

Back