WRs problem

I am wait and see with Jones. Tee has high praise for him and feels he will be difference maker by stretching the field. Maybe Velus just needed a change of scenery. I like what I am hearing about Beckwith. It would be nice to see a reliable set of hands emerge from TE position.
He's not going to be a TE I feel. I don't think you're going to see him with his hand on the ground and blocking folks. TE don't double as RBs and TEs don't run the wildcat from the QB position. He may line up at the TE position on occasions when it's a pass play but you're never going to see him lined up in helping block the DE vs pass rush or run blocking on 1st and ten. Beckwith is a big time playmaker, has lots of wiggle and shake and will run you over when needed. You don't take a guy like that and turn him into a blocking TE that goes out and runs mostly short and intermediate routes. I think he's going to be used exactly how Pruitt told him, all over the field and wherever he can help us the most in any given situation. If he converts to a position that requires him to be big and bulky and play at 255-275 it would have been defensive end or LB. He's a wing player in basketball and as long as that is where he's positioned for Coach Barnes on the basketball team I can't see him putting on the necessary weight to play as an every down TE.

Reactions: butchna
He's not going to be a TE I feel. I don't think you're going to see him with his hand on the ground and blocking folks. TE don't double as RBs and TEs don't run the wildcat from the QB position. He may line up at the TE position on occasions when it's a pass play but you're never going to see him lined up in helping block the DE vs pass rush or run blocking on 1st and ten. Beckwith is a big time playmaker, has lots of wiggle and shake and will run you over when needed. You don't take a guy like that and turn him into a blocking TE that goes out and runs mostly short and intermediate routes. I think he's going to be used exactly how Pruitt told him, all over the field and wherever he can help us the most in any given situation. If he converts to a position that requires him to be big and bulky and play at 255-275 it would have been defensive end or LB. He's a wing player in basketball and as long as that is where he's positioned for Coach Barnes on the basketball team I can't see him putting on the necessary weight to play as an every down TE.

I was referring to more of an unknown to emerge at TE like Warren, Sean Brown, Fant or Allen. I recall the recruitment of Beckwith and have seen his film. Definitely an intriguing new player to keep an eye on who looks extremely talented.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
They definitely won't, but I like the early season enthusiasm.

That's one position group that's almost guaranteed to take a step back. Not that we can't be back or better in 2021 or 2022, but replacing Jennings and Callaway's production is going to be difficult. Jennings almost single-handedly willed the team to victory a few times last year.

I'm hoping the WR dropoff isn't too bad and we see the run game take a big step forward this season to help compensate for it. We were bad running the ball much of last season, but seemed to have a breakthrough at the end. Though, tough not to notice that Vandy's defense also played like absolute crap in that big game for Eric Gray, so we'll have to see how it translates to better competition.
Dropoff is never as steep as fans make it out to be. Offensive output and production is much more a reflection of all of the parts as opposed to just 1 specific player grouping. We were 6th or 7th in the league in passing last season, you make it sound like we're losing all of our production and will not be as good at WR, so how far are you saying we are going to drop? I don't think we'll drop any and our passing game will indeed improve, maybe to as much as 3rd or 4th in the league in passing, because I believe the OL is better, I believe the D will be elite level and if our RBs stay healthy we should show significant gains in the running game where we've been bottom 3 the last 2 seasons. Better D, better running game equals better passing numbers I feel so I don't think there will be a drop off at all, someone will fill those numbers even if it's a totally different way than Jennings and Calloway produced.

I was referring to more of an unknown to emerge at TE like Warren, Sean Brown, Fant or Allen. I recall the recruitment of Beckwith and have seen his film. Definitely an intriguing new player to keep an eye on who looks extremely talented.
I agree, we need some production there. I just don't see Pruitt using the TE as nothing more than another OL you can convert an occasional 3rd down pass to. That may change next season as we've got some studs coming in.

Palmer, Wideman, Jones, Johnson, Tillman, Holliday, Hyatt, Beckwith, Keyton, Collins and company say hello!

I agree, we need some production there. I just don't see Pruitt using the TE as nothing more than another OL you can convert an occasional 3rd down pass to. That may change next season as we've got some studs coming in.
It’s more on Chaney than Pruitt. But that is just me being nit picky. Sorry. Carry on.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We're not as top heavy this year at WR. We didn't play a whole lot of guys outside of the top 3 and Byrd for blocking. Palmer is certainly WR1, but we have more, but less talented options, behind him. It is the same thing with our D-Line, quantity of quality, though there is plenty of raw talent at WR. I believe Keyton and Tillman can have solid years. Velus and Johnson have the experience. Hyatt and Wideman might be the most talented I think. If we get an injury or Covid or something, there won't be as much of a drop-off as there was last year.

They definitely won't, but I like the early season enthusiasm.

That's one position group that's almost guaranteed to take a step back. Not that we can't be back or better in 2021 or 2022, but replacing Jennings and Callaway's production is going to be difficult. Jennings almost single-handedly willed the team to victory a few times last year.

I'm hoping the WR dropoff isn't too bad and we see the run game take a big step forward this season to help compensate for it. We were bad running the ball much of last season, but seemed to have a breakthrough at the end. Though, tough not to notice that Vandy's defense also played like absolute crap in that big game for Eric Gray, so we'll have to see how it translates to better competition.

WR'S will be better.

According to Coach Pruitt, the WRs were particularly hard hit with Knox County Health Dept. contact tracing as there were only 4 scholarship WRs available over last 2 weeks.. in a season where Vols are replacing Their main WRs and timing and trust being so much of the passing game this is not good. Talent alone won’t work in SEC..
Were they unavailable due to Covid+? Did all of them survive? If so it's wonderful.

I think that having a couple of guys who can get separation and command deep help from the safeties will be a huge help for our QB, and for our running game. I loved JJ's fight and Callaway's ability to go get the ball, but we haven't had a real burner in a while.

South Carolina sucks so bad it won’t matter.

4 dudes who can fog a mirror should be enough.

South Carolina beat Georgia last year. We’re not good enough to take any SEC team for granted yet. Muschamp is a good recruiter and they have some talent.

VN Store

Back