Would you call it a "successful" season?

Most media and even VN posters predicted between 5-7 and 7-5. I don't recall seeing many 4-8s or 8-4s. I predicted 6-6.
So the team goes 7-5. Wouldn't anything better be overachieving, given the dumpster fire 2 years ago, young OL and even worse DL entering this season, and the disastrous start to QB play/injuries?
The opposed will point to losing to GSU and BYU and ask how could one say successful with inexcusable loses to them. I understand, and yes, they were inexcusable.
But did you consider what a 7-5 team that beat GSU and BYU would mean? They're losing to Miss St, Kentucky, Missouri, SCjr or Vandy. Had they upset someone that means they would have dropped 3 of those 5 games mentioned. Would you really rather them end on another sour note, or get the bad play out of the way and start rolling into 2020?
I don't think it's fair to predict 6-6 or 7-5, then say "Oh it's not really successful because they should be 9-3".
So if anyone doesn't think it was a "successful" season, I am curious as to how you would have rather the 7-5 season play out.
Super pumped about finding out the bowl game matchup and then... bring on Oklahoma!
There were a ton of 8-4 or better predictions on here. Someone put a poll up and I believe 7-5 and 8-4 were the top 2 categories by far. Based on the fact we are clearly going in the right direction and the fact we ended up 5-3 in the SEC I’ll say yes, a mild success. Otherwise, the overall record is exactly where I expected and really where it likely should have been based on last year’s results, returning players and coaches, and the easier schedule.

Thanks for your post. No, I could not call it a successful season. Progress made and improvement shown the 2nd 1/2 of the season-absolutely! I do think Pruitt is the right guy. Don't know how long it will take him to have TN back in the SEC championship game but I think he will get us there.

I am looking forward to the bowl game. For me, (just a personal opinion) a successful season HAS to include a W over AT LEAST one of our biggest rivals (Bama, FL, or GA). It was a good season, especially considering the start.

GO VOLS!!!
Again, I'm not asking what a successful season at UT is supposed to look like. Would have rather UT bear Florida, but missed a bowl?
My question is regarding expectations entering this season. Were you thinking prior to the season that 7-5 would be a successful season given the circumstances?
If not, why?
If yes but you still don't think it was a successful season because of losing to GSU and BYU I will again ask, who would you have rather them lost to?

Most media and even VN posters predicted between 5-7 and 7-5. I don't recall seeing many 4-8s or 8-4s. I predicted 6-6.
So the team goes 7-5. Wouldn't anything better be overachieving, given the dumpster fire 2 years ago, young OL and even worse DL entering this season, and the disastrous start to QB play/injuries?
The opposed will point to losing to GSU and BYU and ask how could one say successful with inexcusable loses to them. I understand, and yes, they were inexcusable.
But did you consider what a 7-5 team that beat GSU and BYU would mean? They're losing to Miss St, Kentucky, Missouri, SCjr or Vandy. Had they upset someone that means they would have dropped 3 of those 5 games mentioned. Would you really rather them end on another sour note, or get the bad play out of the way and start rolling into 2020?
I don't think it's fair to predict 6-6 or 7-5, then say "Oh it's not really successful because they should be 9-3".
So if anyone doesn't think it was a "successful" season, I am curious as to how you would have rather the 7-5 season play out.
Super pumped about finding out the bowl game matchup and then... bring on Oklahoma!
We faced a number of teams when they were down key players, still barely scraping by some of those games. Plus the start of the season was unforgivable. We somehow finished the season without losing to equally talented teams. It is not an accomplishment that warrants the tag of a successful season. We've still got a long, long way to go - particularly in the talent category. The gap between us & UF/UGA/AL/AU/LSU is still pretty sizable. We are closing the gap and so is A&M - things will change in the SEC but only when others even the playing field. If a few of our guys stay (& some waivers granted), we have a chance to put together a nice season next year and be moderately excited about it. 8 regular season wins next year but we play much more competitively against top 10 programs (UF, UGA, OU, Bama).

I still think the biggest issue with the 2019 football season was at QB. I think JG is giving his best, but he goes from great to very bad in a matter of minutes.
In the Vandy game he was all over the place. I love the guts of JG, but he is just tooooo inconsistent for a good SEC QB. QB will probably be an issue in 2020 also.
I think HB will be a great QB, but not sure if a freshman will be ready? However, freshman have done it before.

Having a winning record at the end of the regular season is great considering the horrible start but I want a bowl win against a quality opponent to cap it off before I consider it a truly successful season.

Reactions: Boca Vol
I would call this a successful season considering the start. I know you can't ignore the 1st two games but in the last 10, UT is 7-3 with losses you would expect and wins vs. teams you would expect if you are turning the corner. True, there are no "wow" wins on the schedule but, IMO, more importantly there are no "wow" losses in conference play.

I hate that UT has to play the Big 10 in a bowl as I would like for them to play a Big XII or Pac 12 team just to mix it up. Regardless, win the game, get to 8 wins and gear up for '20.

Well we went from 5-7 last year to 7 possibly 8 wins this year so yeah it was a successful season

I think the improvement over last makes it a successful season for such a young team. Been on a nice roll need to win the bowl game to keep momentum moving forward for next year.

All things considered yes.

I predicted 10-3 this year with the bowl win. I'm definitely happy the coaching staff looks to have finally hit their stride, Pruitt's coaching and player evaluation is starting to show throughout the roster and we beat Vanderbilt!! Not to be negative but I'm never 100% happy with a season that doesn't include a win over the commies down south!! Interesting stat, in years that start with 2 Auburn is 11-9 vs those commie ba$tard$!!!

Somewhat happy would be the short answer.

As brutal as the GA State and BYU losses were, wins wouldn't have done much more for us overall except put us ahead of Texas A&M in bowl selection. From an optics standpoint it still stings, and I think we all have a little more gray in our hair, but I'm at a point where I'm willing to look past it and call the season a success.

Even more so if we win our bowl game.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Successful depends on your definition of success. If success is winning championships, most teams are never successful and fans who hold to that definition are rarely if ever happy. I think this was a successful season because we showed improvement over last year and we made a bowl game. We've gone from an absolute train wreck a couple of years ago to a team that's in a bowl game and playing with intensity and pride. Is this where we want to top out? Of course not but it is definitely a successful next step on the way back.
I’d say it depends on your goal, not your definition. The goal for the FB program is to improve to where we are consistently good enough to contend for the division and conference title. We took a noticeable step forward in culture, player development, and play on the field over the course of the season. We’re now a step closer to that goal so I’ll call it successful.

I would call it salvaged.

The victory over Auburn last year was better than any win this year but the second half finish in 2019 left a much better taste despite the disastrous start.

No Tennessee season is successful while losing to Florida, Georgia, and Alabama, no matter the other wins.

Seems like most of us agree that the first two games were a big stain on our season but also feel that there was definitely improvement from start to end. I think a lot of us will make our final determination after the bowl game. If we draw a good team (top 25) and win I think the consensus will be “yes-it was a successful season” regardless of the first two games. However, if we lay an egg and lose the bowl game, I think 7-6 just doesn’t look as good “aesthetically” as 8-5 and finishing strong. I think our bowl game really means a lot this year and will generate a lot of excitement and fan interest.

Again, I'm not asking what a successful season at UT is supposed to look like. Would have rather UT bear Florida, but missed a bowl?
My question is regarding expectations entering this season. Were you thinking prior to the season that 7-5 would be a successful season given the circumstances?
If not, why?
If yes but you still don't think it was a successful season because of losing to GSU and BYU I will again ask, who would you have rather them lost to?

That’s actually a tougher question than I thought. Trade a Florida win for 5-7? My hatred of Florida is pretty strong so I can’t lie that that trade off might be tempting.

The fact that I logged into VN past the end of September is proof that the season was successful on numerous fronts.

Go Vols. Beat somebody!!

5-3 in the SEC - that is pretty good in year 2.

2015 team is the only other post-Fulmer to achieve that.

Next year, 6-2 or better would be nice. I like the flip of Georgia and Missouri on the schedule.

9/26 Florida
10/3 Missouri
10/10 @USC
10/24 Bama
10/31 @Arkansas
11/7 Kentucky
11/14 @Georgia
11/28 @Vandy

Reactions: bpalmer28
2020 will even be a better successful season, when Pruitt beats___________awwwww... never mind, you know what I mean.

Considering where we are as a program, how we started the season....yep, successful season in my book. Win the bowl game and get a top 15 class and expectations met if not exceeded.

This is the weirdest season I can remember. After the Florida game I wanted Pruitt gone....all hope was lost and was really wondering how we could get 3 wins. Then things slowly got better......things that wouldnt work early in the season started working. This team came together and won 7 games. That is what I thought we could do at the before the season began. We lost some we should not have but won some we didnt count on. Roller Coaster for sure! GO VOLS

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I'd have to say that given the fact that we did loose to ha state and byu that we beat more than just 7 teams this year. They learned how to win games . And how to keep working hard to develop . I'd call that a successful season any day

VN Store

Back