Would you call it a "successful" season?

Other_Guy

foolishFool
Most media and even VN posters predicted between 5-7 and 7-5. I don't recall seeing many 4-8s or 8-4s. I predicted 6-6.
So the team goes 7-5. Wouldn't anything better be overachieving, given the dumpster fire 2 years ago, young OL and even worse DL entering this season, and the disastrous start to QB play/injuries?
The opposed will point to losing to GSU and BYU and ask how could one say successful with inexcusable loses to them. I understand, and yes, they were inexcusable.
But did you consider what a 7-5 team that beat GSU and BYU would mean? They're losing to Miss St, Kentucky, Missouri, SCjr or Vandy. Had they upset someone that means they would have dropped 3 of those 5 games mentioned. Would you really rather them end on another sour note, or get the bad play out of the way and start rolling into 2020?
I don't think it's fair to predict 6-6 or 7-5, then say "Oh it's not really successful because they should be 9-3".
So if anyone doesn't think it was a "successful" season, I am curious as to how you would have rather the 7-5 season play out.
Super pumped about finding out the bowl game matchup and then... bring on Oklahoma!

We had a slower than expected start, but we rebounded well and finished about where we were tabbed to. But I feel like entering bowl season we have made successful strides and are headed in the right direction. Had we played the first half of the season like the 2nd half we would be 9-3 and would have exceeded expectations. So in closing I say we met them and actually are becoming a team that is going to only get better as we go forward. GBO!!!!!

Even if we would have beat GA State and BYU and finished 9-3 we would have people on here complaining saying “who did we beat? We are not improved” the nega Vols are never satisfied. My opinion is getting to a bowl was job 1. Earning the extra practice time and game experience for our young team is critical. So I say yes for year 2 under Pruitt.

Tough one...we still got blown out by our biggest rivals. I guess you could make a case it is a success in the sense we progressed over last year. However, even if we had won the first 2 games and gotten 9 wins, it would still feel kind of empty to me given the disparity between us and the teams at the top of the conference. I mean, just imagine what LSU would do to this team.

Reactions: Titan05
All I know is they were allot more fun to watch because they finally were able to generate big plays on both sides of the ball......:cool:

Reactions: arkivol
Most expectations were of a 6 to 7 win season. We met expectations but I can't call the season successful (although unlike 2018, it wasnt a failure)....

No; I'd never call a 7-5 season successful.

I would say we landed about where I expected in an unexpected way, and that for the first time in three seasons, we have a pulse and some promising leadership attending the program.

Successful, but frustrating. We lost to 2 teams we had no business losing too and the unreliable QB play throughout the season leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I thought 6-6 or 7-5 going into the season though and we did show improvement in most areas as the season progressed.

Very successful!! Slow start took a little shine off. We're not great but we're good. Look forward to more steady improvement!! Pruitt is da man!!

Reactions: FïreBall
I tend to be crazy optimistic, so I predicted a 9-3 season with 8-4 the worst case, but I love the way the team rallied and finished out the year. I was at the Georgia game, and even though the final score doesn't reflect it, to me that was the turning point of the season because we played them toe-to-toe for a while and led at the half. I felt like we were turning the corner at that point.

Reactions: FïreBall
Overall yes. We have sec wins over msu, usc, uk, mizzou, Vandy. We won back to back sec road games for the first time in many years. We made a bowl game. Sucks thinking where we could’ve been if we handled business the first 2 weeks, but you can’t deny the overall progress.

They ended up with the record in the range of where most people were predicting. 6-6, 7-5, 8-4 were most of the projections i saw. How they got there took a twist after starting 1-4. I didn't think we'd do 5-3 in conference. I also didn't think we'd lose to Georgia St or BYU. That's why i no longer bet on football. It should help the offseason, recruiting, and momentum for next year..Heading in the right direction.

Marginally successful despite the strong finish because of the two ridiculous early-season losses and failing to threaten winning against Florida, Georgia or Alabama. If we can win a bowl game , I will consider the season successful.

We've been through some bad, bad seasons. This one began with the starting quarterback getting death threats from our "fans" and reports of how the players just don't want to play for this coaching staff. It could have been another disastrous year, ending with more players and more fans throwing in the towel. Instead, we ended with a team of competitors who are enjoyable to watch play and who are going to a bowl game. Call the season what you want, but things are looking up :D

Successful depends on your definition of success. If success is winning championships, most teams are never successful and fans who hold to that definition are rarely if ever happy. I think this was a successful season because we showed improvement over last year and we made a bowl game. We've gone from an absolute train wreck a couple of years ago to a team that's in a bowl game and playing with intensity and pride. Is this where we want to top out? Of course not but it is definitely a successful next step on the way back.

Reactions: VolinMC

VN Store

Back