Worst football program in the state?

Read most of the postings here since the first in 2008. Surprisingly no mention of Cumberland County High School in Crossville. My alma mater. Curt Watson was a classmate & the Jets had GOOD teams. For the past 20+ years it has been abysmal. :yuck:

I swear I didn't see this when I posted. I just saw the thread title and posted. The Jets were habitually pitiful. When we played them they were 4A when the max was 5A. Now it's crazy because you can play the regular season at 4A and then the playoffs at 5A. The former 5A schools are 6A now. It's all crazy, but Cumberland County was bad, but the kids there always played hard. You couldn't assume victory with them. You had to work, but they were still terrible.

Cumberland County Jet here too. We need to go to the Tony Franklin system but our leaders have no balls. John Hall is an inept Principal which doesn’t help any

Reactions: 1 person
Holy smokes. This makes me feel so much better for being a Jefferson County Patriot. Although they are good to mediocre most seasons.

Cumberland County Jet here too. We need to go to the Tony Franklin system but our leaders have no balls. John Hall is an inept Principal which doesn’t help any

When did the cchs jets last have a winning season? OR even a single victory? Pathetic. :ermm:

Holy smokes. This makes me feel so much better for being a Jefferson County Patriot. Although they are good to mediocre most seasons.

When I was in high school, '85 -'89, Jeff Co. was a powerhouse in football

Sullivan East has played David Crockett annually since 2005, going 5-3 against the Pioneers in that period.

Reviewing the stats for Union County, they are much worse than I initially realized. Not sure where I got the impression that they have winning seasons once every 4 or 5 years...

The following with corrected football classifications-

Union County Patriots
Class 2-A
-winless seasons- 2
-1 win seasons- 5
-2 win seasons- 7
-3 win seasons- 6
-longest losing streak- 28 and counting (last 8 games of '10, all '11 and '12)
-winning seasons- 1- 1994
-best season- 1994 (2nd season) 7-4

Sullivan East Patriots
Class 2-A
-winless seasons- 9
-1 win seasons- 7
-2 win seasons- 6
-3 win seasons- 5
-longest losing streak- 21 games (all of '00, all of '01, first game of '02)
-winning seasons- 8
-best season- 2004 (10-2)

David Crockett Pioneers
Class 3-A
-winless seasons- 7
-1 win seasons- 9
-2 win seasons- 13
-3 win seasons- 2
-longest losing streak- 27 games (last game of 1975, all of '76, all of 77, first 7 games of '78)
-winning seasons- 4
-best season- 1971 (inaugural season) 8-1-1

Red Boiling Springs Bulldogs
Class 1-A
-winless seasons- 17
-1 win seasons- 9
-2 win seasons- 6
-3 win seasons- 6
-longest losing streak- 69 games (last 9 games of 1986, all of '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, and '92)
-winning seasons- 1 (1976)
-best season- 1976 (5th season) 6-4

Gibson County Pioneers
Class 1-A
-winless seasons- 7
-1 win seasons- 2
-2 win seasons- 4
-3 win seasons- 5
-longest losing streak- 43 games (last 3 games of '08, all of '09, '10, '11, and '12)
-winning seasons- 1 (1995)
-best season- 1995 (7th season) 6-5

:::UPDATE:::

Looks like David Crockett's search for a new coach ended much more quickly than I expected....

Jeremy Bosken takes over Crockett football

I didn't know anybody in the state was nearly as bad as Union County. We have been so bad for as far back as I can remember.

I am an alum of Cocke County High School & i have always supported the athletics there. I went to every single game while i attended from 02-06 & i still make my way over to Hedrick Field for all the home games but i must say & this is now way suppose to be disrespectful to the kids that play football there but we have to be the worse football program in the state of Tennessee.

Here are the records for the past 5 years:

2008: 0-10 - No Playoffs. Closes game a 28-7 loss to David Crockett

2007: 1-9 - No Playoffs. Only win was against Volunteer 20-19

2006: 1-9 - No Playoffs. Only win against South Greene 14-7

2005: 1-9 - No Playoffs. Only win against David Crockett 34-14

2004: 3-7 - No Playoffs. Wins against Seymour (16-6),
Knox. Carter (27-18), David Crockett (21-7)

2003: 2-8 - No Playoffs. Wins against South Greene (39-0), David Crockett (39-14)

The last time we went to the playoffs was 2001 & we lost to Tennessee High in the first round. They dress an average of 30 kids every year on the team. Does anyone know of a program worse than this?

Sounds like David Crockett is pretty bad

Just from my local area in Cleveland TN, I’d have to go with Walker Valley. Ever since they became a school in the early 2000’s they have never been relevant. Maybe winning 3 games a year at average. My alma mater Bradley Central got beat week 1 against Farragut 34-0, then followed up with a 41-2 win against WV. Not to mention, they are the same colors and have the same logo as West Virginia. Yuck.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
And just like that Crockett is 3-0 after a 55-0 game against Volunteer.

The reason I said DC was because people were saying this school was bad and that school was bad and they listed wins that they had and DC was frequently mentioned.

Good for Crockett hope they win em all

The reason I said DC was because people were saying this school was bad and that school was bad and they listed wins that they had and DC was frequently mentioned.

Good for Crockett hope they win em all
I wasn't directing my posts towards you. Crockett has been getting better the past few years and folks are proud of their effort.

It's not even close actually. Red Boiling Springs is on a 60+ game losing streak.They are 18-202 since 1986! Oh yeah, 1 of those 18 wins was a forfeit.

They also had a 63 game losing streak from 1986-1993,and had a long losing streak prior to 1986.

Their main problem is they don't have a band. If they had a band...

Last edited:
Jackson county may join the ranks for this year. we have no one. My son is a 5'9" 170lb sophomore that just won starting LG in game 3. fortunately he is much more powerful then the linemen he's faced, but still sad he has to play offensive line at that size as a soph. We typically only have 26-30 players. And the last 10 years have been pretty decent with playoff appearances most years. although we never win the first round. This year out of 30 players, we have over 20 underclassmen and no play makers. they all graduated or moved out of state. our kicker went to Cookeville for exposure. quite possibly the top kicker in the state and nobody knows him. we no longer have a true RB or QB. Oddly enough, our RB/LB from last year walked on at TTU. We have one that relocated to KY that was being recruited by Illinois. But, this year we started 0-3 losing by a total of 106-14. We do have Red Boiling Springs tomorrow, so we should get our first win (fingers crossed)

To answer this thread's question, I'm going with Pickett County.

In the years they actually field a team, yeah they're not so good. The field is even worse. They stretch it across the outfield of the baseball field, which is horrid itself, and there is no official stands. they set 2 portable bleachers on one side. most of the home crowd parks on the side of the road and watch from the hill above. They have to remove the goal posts for baseball season cause one is in right field.

I'm sticking with my mighty Red Boiling Springs Bulldogs :D...

50-328 All-time (started 1974)
69-game losing streak from 1986-1992
61-game losing streak from 2002-2009
1 winning season in 39 years of play
0 playoff appearances in 39 years of play

60-point+ defeats all-time
2005 L Trousdale County 91-0
1976 L Gordonsville 76-0
2010 L Friendship Christian 72-0
2007 L Watertown 76-7
2007 L Friendship Christian 65-0
1989 L Westmoreland 65-0
1975 L Spring Hill 65-0
1974 L Clay County 76-12
1996 L Trousdale County 62-0
2006 L Friendship Christian 61-0
2000 L Gordonsville 69-8
2009 L Friendship Christian 60-0
2004 L East Robertson 60-0
1997 L Trousdale County 60-0
1988 L Watertown 60-0
1975 L Watertown 60-0

OK. I have to say that for any of us around the plateau region, whether 1A or 2A, it ain't easy having to play Watertown or Trousdale every year. Even to this day in 2018. although we did beat Forrest 2 years ago in a major upset. i'm waiting to see what happens to Macon County after that QB graduates. 2 years ago, they scored 63-56 in a win over Jackson County. That QB literally scored all their points except PAT's.

VN Store

Back