Worst Coach Ever?

I'm sure not a Butch Jones fan, but this halo that people throw over Pruitt like he's a coaching genius is asinine. At least Butch was a head coach before coming to Tennessee and screwing everything up. We just straight up handed the keys to the bus to a nobody who promptly lost the first home opener in 30 years and has a combined margin of loss to Florida that is greater than Dooley and Butch combined in 8 years.

The people who are impressed that this team beat garbage teams down the stretch and this means Pruitt and Geronimo are the saviors of UT football is ludicrous.

We need way way more time before we can say Pruitt is goo at anything but eating cornbread and talking like an imbred.

Right now Butch > Pruitt > Dooley

Pruitt has work to do to pass Butch, sad to say.
You are not looking at the coaches knowledge of football. Butch had Dobbs and Kamara. After they left Butch was left to coach. How did he do? Oh that's right, HE SUCKED and got fired. If Pruitt had Dobbs we may have won the EAST.

I'm sure not a Butch Jones fan, but this halo that people throw over Pruitt like he's a coaching genius is asinine. At least Butch was a head coach before coming to Tennessee and screwing everything up. We just straight up handed the keys to the bus to a nobody who promptly lost the first home opener in 30 years and has a combined margin of loss to Florida that is greater than Dooley and Butch combined in 8 years.

The people who are impressed that this team beat garbage teams down the stretch and this means Pruitt and Geronimo are the saviors of UT football is ludicrous.

We need way way more time before we can say Pruitt is goo at anything but eating cornbread and talking like an imbred.

Winning sure brings out the dumb in folks. Blah blah blah, we beat garbage teams down the stretch that we haven't beaten in 2-3 years. They were on the schedule. We have to play who is on the schedule. Doesn't matter if they suck or not.

How does Pruitt have work to do to pass Butch? You mean his 2 years vs Butch's 5 years? Well, duh. Compare their first two years and get back. Remember, Pruitt is 7-5 this year and still has a bowl game to play. Also remember what you reminded us of in the beginning of your post. Pruitt is in year 2 of being a Head coach and Butch was a head coach for 6 years before coming here.

Right now Pruitt>>>>Butch>>Dooley.

Last edited:
He had better recruiting, total wins, and bowl game wins. Obviously JP still needs time but on paper old BJ still has him beat.

That being said I personally believe CJP is better than BJ.

Lol, what? More bowl wins? You mean you're actually saying Butch is above Pruitt in wins and bowl wins....total? 5 years vs 2 and Pruitt hasnt even coached this years bowl, so its not even technically 2 full years. Lol. That's f'ed up.

It is funny to see all of the orgasmic “I told you sos” after a 7-5 season.

I’m happy with the turnaround, too, but I hope that 7-5 is far from the standard at UT.
War Eagle........just sayin.

Butch can't hold Pruitt's pen when it comes to coaching. That is one of the all time most asinine things that has ever been said on here. And one things about moronic thread starts they can come back to haunt you like this one and deservedly so. GBO!!!!!

Only thing Butch did better was uniform selection.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Lol. The story is far from finished on whether or not Pruitt will be a good/longterm option for us. But...I'm glad that I've maintained that he will, and have the emotional fortitude not to post ridiculous statements after losses like a lot of the other folks in this thread have done.
Granted, there are also people stating our coach that had us in the Top 10 multiple times, won 3 January bowls, and 9 games twice in a row had a worse tenure than our coach who is best known for shower lessons. So who is really surprised.
Heck of a bump, btw, nice find.

Quite a pronounced and unmistakeable position you carved out for yourself there, ZJC.

The lesson to draw from it isn't that you were wrong. We're all wrong sometimes. That's no big deal. It's that this is a symptom of a broader issue -- you (and others here) need to gain a sense of patience, a longer view, learn how not to hyperventilate at every setback.

Because life is just chock full of setbacks. You want to be able to weather them and come out the other side in reasonable shape.

Go Vols!
ZJC doesn’t concern himself with being utterly wrong. Otherwise he’d of changed his modus operandi long ago. 😏

Strawman.
No one is saying Pruitt is a head coaching genius. Nobody.
They've said he is a defensive genius.

Winning sure brings out the dumb in folks. Blah blah blah, we beat garbage teams down the stretch that we haven't beaten in 2-3 years. They were on the schedule. We have to play who is on the schedule. Doesn't matter if they suck or not.

How does Pruitt have work to do to pass Pruitt? You mean his 2 years vs Butch's 5 years? Well, duh. Compare their first two years and get back. Remember, Pruitt is 7-5 this year and still has a bowl game to play. Also remember what you reminded us of in the beginning of your post. Pruitt is in year 2 of being a Head coach and Butch was a head coach for 6 years before coming here.

Right now Pruitt>>>>Butch>>Dooley.
Behr, how do you do it in the FF day after day? You are like one of the "300" soldiers. I tip my cap to you sir.

You guys do not remember Bill Battle. He wiped out an SEC championship program in record time. In modern times, Kiffin was the worst as he destroyed a solid recruiting class Fulmer had teed up - then recruited thugs and ran off some decent players. Then bolted for his "dream job" in the depth of the night while trying to pirate the early signing class he had for Tennessee. Pat Haden was so fed up with Kiffin that he fired him at the airport similar to Al Davis booting him out with the Raiders. Vols actually got a break when Kiffin headed west as he is incapable of managing a major NCAA football program and staying within the rules.

Dooley was a reach hire who inherited a mess. Butch was a reasonable hire who worked hard, was a terrific promoter, but promised too much to some recruits to try to upgrade the roster. It worked for awhile then lack of linemen and overall strength caught up. Pruitt took over the weakest roster of the group and is getting traction. You can see the player development in action. Consider Charlie Strong getting fired a second time, the NC State coach and others sucking wind after turning down the Vol job and you have to be grateful for Fulmer taking the helm of the train wreck and bringing in Jeremy Pruitt.

Pruitt hasn't lost to Kentucky. He also hasn't lost to Vandy 3 times, or gone winless in the SEC.

I honestly can't believe what we went through this season and we're having this conversation. Pruitt not even finished with his second year and y'all are hanging on to your boy Butch's nutsack while he grins and smokes his "just beat Tennessee" celebratory cigar.

Nah, y'all don't suck.

Pruitt hasn't lost to Kentucky. He also hasn't lost to Vandy 3 times, or gone winless in the SEC.

I honestly can't believe what we went through this season and we're having this conversation. Pruitt not even finished with his second year and y'all are hanging on to your boy Butch's nutsack while he grins and smokes his "just beat Tennessee" celebratory cigar.

Nah, y'all don't suck.
It's called Georgia State derangement syndrome. If we had won the east, we would still be hearing but but but we lost to Georgia State!

VN Store

Back