Worst basketball losses you remember?

Dallasbowlin

Everything woke turns to sh*t
Not by point marginal, but just “how did we lose to this team?” Inspired by this tweet:

Two that I hated were the 2009 and 2010 losses to
USCw when Kevin O’Neill was their coach. In December 2009 TN was #9 in the country and was blown out 55-77 in LA. Then a year later TN lost in the TBA 64-65 in Pearl’s final season. KO’s wife was was sitting directly behind the USCw bench at the TBA. She was a POS. I thought that she was going to go hands on with TN fans that were sitting in the first couple of rows. KO was married to a **nt. B**** is too nice of a word to describe her.

Last edited:
SW Missouri St in the Big Dance. One would've thought the seeds were flipped.

We lost to something called Subpac in a early season tournament back in the 70s I believe. It was worse than No 1 Virginia losing to Chaminade.

Tennessee vs Louisville in the Sweet Sixteen.

Our offense was completely shut down in the 2nd half against Pitino’s defense.

Lofton was only 3/15 in that game.

Just ugly basketball.

Really, 101-40 should be the worst loss ever for multiple reasons. It was Allan’s last game. Wade was allowed to return after it and he went 5-22. 61 points is probably the largest margin ever in a loss. It was revenge for Kentucky after they lost to TN on the 4-point play in the TBA a few weeks earlier. The blizzard of the century rolled in shortly after the game ended.

I think there are different kinds of bad losses, and there are some good examples in this thread. The one that really sticks out to me is the 2007 route from Louisville in the S16 with arguably the best UT team ever.

Tennessee vs Louisville in the Sweet Sixteen.

Our offense was completely shut down in the 2nd half against Pitino’s defense.

Lofton was only 3/15 in that game.

Just ugly basketball.

The JP Prince at point experiment. After we made that run to cut it to one and then couldn't take the lead, I knew we were done.

Reactions: vol94
It may have been an Exh. although it doesn’t say that. 73-74 season.
View attachment 472472

This makes little sense. TN played Providence on 12/27 per Sports Reference. Also on that screen shot the logo is the opponent for each game - except it is the power T for Sub PAC. Sub PAC is the US Navy. Possibly (Pacific) submarines based in Honolulu or the west coast.

Maybe the Providence game was late on 12/27 and therefore on 12/28 in the eastern time zone. My guess is that Sub PAC was a scrimmage or exhibition game. Those scenarios wouldn’t compare to Virginia with Ralph Sampson choking in their game. In an exhibition or scrimmage TN players might have even suited up for the opponent if they were short players. If the game didn’t count the primary players would have been saving their energy for Providence. Interesting find though. I was completely unaware of playing Sub PAC.

Recency bias is a hell of a thing, but losing in 2018 to Loyola Chicago is probably #1. We probably will never have a more favorable path to a Final Four than we had that year and we squandered it. Just a REALLY "easy" path all things considered and we couldn't get it done.

I would then say the 2022 Michigan loss hurts quite a bit, too. I fell in love with this team towards the end of the year and I think this was arguably the most talented team Tennessee has had in quite some time. So, seeing that team lose was really hard.

VN Store

Back