Wooden Award Mid Season Top 25

Amb3096

Rennia representing Tennessee. UK's Rhyne Howard is a newcomer who wasn't on the original list. Well deserved IMO...she's been fantastic this season.

Couple of glaring omissions...notably Evina Westbrook and Anriel Howard. Will be interesting to see if they make the Top 20 list. Not sure that I agree that Crystal Dangerfield should be on this list over either of them, given there are quite a few good PGs on there already.

Women's college basketball: 2019 Wooden Award midseason top 25 watch list | NCAA.com

Rennia representing Tennessee. UK's Rhyne Howard is a newcomer who wasn't on the original list. Well deserved IMO...she's been fantastic this season.

Couple of glaring omissions...notably Evina Westbrook and Anriel Howard. Will be interesting to see if they make the Top 20 list. Not sure that I agree that Crystal Dangerfield should be on this list over either of them, given there are quite a few good PGs on there already.

Women's college basketball: 2019 Wooden Award midseason top 25 watch list | NCAA.com

I too was shocked Anriel wasn't on the list, I expected Evina would not be after her last couple of games. Looks to me like she has a sore knee again, she keeps coming up gimpy after plays and seemed off her speed the last 3 or 4 games. Hoping it is nothing serious :/. She is good enough that if she turns things around she can certainly play her way back into the conversation. Definitely think she should be in the talk for best PG in the nation.

Correct if I am wrong, but I haven't really seen anyone else step up as a leader at the point this season, possible Mabrey from ND. I find it a little criminal that Ionescu is always the biggest talk for the PG awards as she only plays the point a couple of possessions a game, she's almost always at the 2. I think she is the best player in WCBB at the moment, but I do feel the PG awards should be reserved for the women playing that position full time.

Reactions: RollerVol
Obviously those "Top-Whatever" list makers don't actually follow all the players closely enough to cast educated votes, otherwise Tennessee's representative would be Westbrook. Rennia has had a few good games, but, overall, Westbrook has been the top player for Holly this season.

IMO, Rennia would be better off to be left off these lists. I'd love to see her just go about the business of developing into a true go-to player without having to be under constant scrutiny and the compulsive comparison-making of fans and columnists as she's doing it.

Obviously those "Top-Whatever" list makers don't actually follow all the players closely enough to cast educated votes, otherwise Tennessee's representative would be Westbrook. Rennia has had a few good games, but, overall, Westbrook has been the top player for Holly this season.

IMO, Rennia would be better off to be left off these lists. I'd love to see her just go about the business of developing into a true go-to player without having to be under constant scrutiny and the compulsive comparison-making of fans and columnists as she's doing it.

Agree to disagree, Rennia is far and away our most consistent and efficient player, she is averaging 15.5 PPG and 8.4 rebounds. She is shooting 50% from the floor, 50% from three and 85% from the line. What more do you want from her? Those are All-American type numbers if she ups her scoring just a bit.

Last edited:
Westbrook is doing fine. She is feeling the drag of pulling freshmen up by their bootstraps. Freshmen experience will give them realization of how to be most effective and be more of an asset for the rest of the season.
This will allow Westbrook to concentrate more on her game with the confidence the freshmen aren't so much leaning on her. Even talent needs to jell for a team reach excellence.

VN Store

Back