Wooden Award Late Season Top 20

Amb3096

The list was pared down. Rennia, not surprisingly, has been dropped off. Still no idea how Crystal Dangerfield is on this list, but Jackie Young (ND) and Anriel Howard (MSST) are not.

Women's Wooden Award Late-Season Top 20
PLAYER SCHOOL POSITION CLASS
Kristine Anigwe, California, F/C, Sr.
Kalani Brown, Baylor, C, Sr.
Bridget Carleton, Iowa State, G, Sr.
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M, G, So.
Kaila Charles, Maryland, G, Jr.
Napheesa Collier, UConn, F, Sr.
Lauren Cox, Baylor, F, Jr.
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri, G, Sr.
Crystal Dangerfield, Connecticut, G, Jr.
Asia Durr, Louisville, G, Sr.
Megan Gustafson, Iowa, F, Sr.
Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, F, Jr.
Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, G, Jr.
Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse, G, Jr.
Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State, C, Sr.
Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame, G, Sr.
Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn, G/F, Sr.
Jessica Shepard, Notre Dame, F, Sr.
Destiny Slocum, Oregon State, G, So.
Alanna Smith, Stanford, F, Sr.

Reactions: RollerVol
well...no Lady Vols but I can't say it isn't fair...but, as always...

GO LADY VOLS!

I am also baffled, I don't think Samuelson should be on there either after her last several games. Her numbers are still good because she scores in bunches against poor competition, but her shooting has been abysmal lately. Dangerfield on there is just laughable, she has played better recently but she is the outlier. I too have a hard time believing either of those players are better than Howard or Young. Or Mabrey for that matter, she has come on the last few games and I think her switch to the point has been under appreciated. She is doing a really nice job running NDs offense and had been a 2 guard her entire career, including HS I believe. Not an easy conversion.

Over the last couple of weeks people have started to realize Young is NDs catalyst player, they go as she goes and her defense is big for them. NC loss really exposed that, I feel like if you can get Young in foul trouble ND is beatable, they have 0 bench just like last year.

Cunningham should be out of the running simply because she is a nasty player. Fouled out of another game again last night.

I believe Smith from Stanford or Gustafson from Iowa deserve it most. Gustafson is my top choice, consistent performer, great person, team leader and she has been consistently dominant in the post for several years now.

Reactions: mlindsay
Samuelson is on the list because she's a 2x first team AA who's numbers are "good enough" and she's skating by on reputation. But she doesn't deserve to be on the final 10 list unless she gets her stroke back.

I'm ok with Cunningham being on here for now. She's carrying a team that really has no one else there, and if Mizzou makes the tournament will be because if her. I also don't think she should be final 10 though.

As good as Gustafson has been (same with Smith), neither will win the Wooden Award. It just won't happen.

My guess for order of finish:

Top 15 cut:
Tiana Mangakia
Bridget Carleton
Destiny Slocum
Crystal Dangerfield
Jessica Shepard

Top 10 cut:
Lauren Cox
Ruthy Hebard
Sophie Cunningham
Chennedy Carter
Kaila Charles

Top 5 cut:
Kristine Anigwe
Kalani Brown
Arike Ogwunbowale
Katie Lou Samuelson (undeserving IMO but she'll get it - I'd pick Ruthie Hebard here)
Alanna Smith

Wooden Team (highest to lowest):
Sabrina Ionescu (winner)
Asia Durr
Teaira McCowan
Napheesa Collier
Megan Gustafson (might swap with Arike)

Reactions: NoBackBoard
I am also baffled, I don't think Samuelson should be on there either after her last several games. Her numbers are still good because she scores in bunches against poor competition, but her shooting has been abysmal lately. Dangerfield on there is just laughable, she has played better recently but she is the outlier. I too have a hard time believing either of those players are better than Howard or Young. Or Mabrey for that matter, she has come on the last few games and I think her switch to the point has been under appreciated. She is doing a really nice job running NDs offense and had been a 2 guard her entire career, including HS I believe. Not an easy conversion.

Over the last couple of weeks people have started to realize Young is NDs catalyst player, they go as she goes and her defense is big for them. NC loss really exposed that, I feel like if you can get Young in foul trouble ND is beatable, they have 0 bench just like last year.

Cunningham should be out of the running simply because she is a nasty player. Fouled out of another game again last night.

I believe Smith from Stanford or Gustafson from Iowa deserve it most. Gustafson is my top choice, consistent performer, great person, team leader and she has been consistently dominant in the post for several years now.
I know this isn’t related to the topic but if Jackie Young decides to go pro this year ND would lose their entire starting 5 and their bench hasn’t shown much, and I don’t think their incoming class is that great (Brunelle and Peoples are good but I don’t think they will be great)

Reactions: VolBall09
I know this isn’t related to the topic but if Jackie Young decides to go pro this year ND would lose their entire starting 5 and their bench hasn’t shown much, and I don’t think their incoming class is that great (Brunelle and Peoples are good but I don’t think they will be great)

It would be no different than what MSST did the last two years. I know they were fortunate to get Anriel this year, but players like Bibby and Danberry were not impact players coming off the bench last year but have been excellent this year. You figure that Patterson, Vaughn, and this year's freshmen will see improvement for next year, and will mesh well with the incoming class. Even if Jackie Young leaves, I think ND will still be a top 10 team going into next season (same with MSST, who loses the 5 starters from the start of this season).

VN Store

Back