Women’s Basketball 19-20 Season, As Good As It Gets

teacherdean

This women’s basketball season is very exciting. For the most part, in previous seasons, most of us had a good idea what the final four would look like. In truth and fact, many times we had figured out who the National Champion would be. There had been a few upsets, but most knowledgeable women’s basketball ball fans were rarely wrong in figuring who was at the top of the heap. This season we have had several top 15 team upsets. In previous season such multiple upsets were rarely seen. This season several top teams have been upset by teams outside the top 25, NC upsetting NCState, LSU upsetting A&M, Georgia Tech besting Florida State, Texas upsetting Stanford, etc. In addition, many top 5 teams have been taken to the brink of defeat before recovering minutes, and in some cases seconds, and leaving with a win. We are in rare air and that is good for the women’s game. This year the race to the top is wide open.,

Reactions: Dube and LVsinceJV
They will defeat UConn if they keep improving.

I too feel like they will defeat UConn if they keep improving. UConn has struggled with physical teams this year which is why the Memphis game was so close. The one thing about the Lady Vols this year is they do not shy away from contact. If we see improvement in turnovers in the Florida game, I think it bodes well for a very good game against UConn.

I agree that more teams are in the running to make the final four. Instead of having 4 or 5 strong favorites, I think there are 8 or 9 teams that an make it to the final four and it would not be a big surprise.

True. It also wouldn't be a big surprise if, by the end of the season, we all end up predicting the same 4 or 5 strong favorites to end up making the Final Four again.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
I too feel like they will defeat UConn if they keep improving. UConn has struggled with physical teams this year which is why the Memphis game was so close. The one thing about the Lady Vols this year is they do not shy away from contact. If we see improvement in turnovers in the Florida game, I think it bodes well for a very good game against UConn.

I think if we clean up our turnovers we win. I believe they can do it, even if for just ONE game lol.

I think we are almost guaranteed to be the more physical team. Their rebounding is officially a PROBLEM. Nelson-Ododa has been good about staying out of foul trouble, but she has been far less effective against more physical teams.

I truly believe our defense is better than theirs as well. We all know that will be the real key to who wins the game. If we start sluggish and let them get hot? We’re done. If we come out and guard HARD from the tip we are in business.

I’m getting excited!

Get ONO in foul trouble and hope that one of Dangerfield, Williams or Walker has an off night, and it's a winnable game, provided Tennessee doesn't disappear on offense.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Get ONO in foul trouble and hope that one of Dangerfield, Williams or Walker has an off night, and it's a winnable game, provided Tennessee doesn't disappear on offense.

I agree, I really hope we can hang two on her in the first half.

I think Dangerfield might have a tough night. We’re just a lot bigger and more physical than she is. We finally have a paint protector in Key so just driving the lane isn’t going to work all night like it might have in the past.

On the other hand I think we have to have a second player step up. Rennia is going to receive a ton of defensive attention. Others are going to have to score and do it confidently.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
I think Dangerfield might have a tough night. We’re just a lot bigger and more physical than she is.

Given that this may be native Tennessean Crystal Dangerfield’s only opportunity to play the Lady Vols before she graduates, she is likely going to do her dead-level best to will her team to victory. Of course, this type of game usually goes one of two ways: either the player has the game of her dreams, or she tightens up and presses so hard that she pretty much guards herself. There’s seldom an in-between.

Personally, I’m hoping she does have an “in-between” game. I wouldn’t mind the Tennessee-born kid having a respectable game — IN THE LOSS. I’m compassionate, not crazy.

Personally, I’m hoping she does have an “in-between” game. I wouldn’t mind the Tennessee-born kid having a respectable game — IN THE LOSS. I’m compassionate, not crazy.

If it were other program, I would agree.

Considering the disrespect shown toward Pat and the Tennessee program...not to mention the ingratitude after Pat helped showcase their program...I'd say any native Tennessean who would choose to play for such a wretched individual deserves nothing but a 10-gallon drum of whupass unloaded upon her.

Show no mercy, take no prisoners, play El Deguello, run up the score, obliterate the Evil Empire.

Last edited:
As some of you are indulging in venting your hatred for Dangerfield I think you should hit pause and ask yourself one simple question: If you were Dangerfield would you have signed up to come to play for Holly? I doubt it very much. Kids know who is a coach and who isn't. Simple as that.

As some of you are indulging in venting your hatred for Dangerfield I think you should hit pause and ask yourself one simple question: If you were Dangerfield would you have signed up to come to play for Holly? I doubt it very much. Kids know who is a coach and who isn't. Simple as that.

Now you're being too logical.....What freshmen doesn't want to play for a coach that has no control over her team, has no sign of a visible offense, stomps her foot every time she is upset, broke most of the positive records Pat had established, etc. etc. etc.

UConn will more than likely win by 15 or more mainly based on execution and discipline. Tennessee will get better with execution and discipline

Reactions: Dube

I believe that this game is winnable, however, running fresh legs in and out and taking out scorers, will make it very difficult. There are some starters who need to play longer minutes, while there are some, on the bench, who should not see the light of day. If you allow such players on the floor, it should only be for limited minutes. UNCONN does have some quickness, and we have a few players that like quickness and will get exposed and misused.

One reality we must fact is, though UCONN has a limited bench, their bench is stronger than ours. We need to do everything in our power to get their players in foul trouble, while eliminating our fouls by not committing foolish and unnecessary fouls. Most of all, on offense, our shooters have to shoot, especially when they have a clear shot at the basket. Making impossible passes might look cute, however, they do not help the score. We can’t miss opportunities by missing shots close to the basket.

Last edited:
I believe that this game is winnable, however, running fresh legs in and out and taking out scorers, will make it very difficult. There are some starters who need to play longer minutes, while there are some, on the bench, who should not see the light of day. If you allow such players on the floor, it should only be for limited minutes. UNCONN does have some quickness, and we have a few players that like quickness and will get exposed and misused.

One reality we must fact is, though UCONN has a limited bench, their bench is stronger than ours. We need to do everything in our power to get their players in foul trouble, while eliminating our fouls by not committing foolish and unnecessary fouls. Most of all, on offense, our shooters have to shoot, especially when they have a clear shot at the basket. Making impossible passes might look cute, however, they do not help the score. We can’t miss opportunities by missing shots close to the basket.

I don't think UConn has a strong bench at all, especially if ONO gets in foul trouble.

IMO, Davis, Massengill, Key/Kushkituah combo, Horston and Burrell should be prepared to play 40 minutes...because their UConn counterparts surely will. I don't think this is a game that Brown, McCoy, Saunders or Harris should see much court time.

Reactions: SandyO

I've seen no instances of scorers being taken out wherein to leave them in would have been beneficial to the team. I've seen our more-talented players take some unnecessary risks with the ball, resulting in more turnovers than we can afford in places like Palo Alto or Storrs. I've seen Coach Kellie bring them to the bench to reiterate the importance of ball security; that "you can only do so much."
We have two amazing, All-American-capable freshmen; and while I agree that the best players need to be on the court, a lot, for us to be consistently good, we have to see this as a (hopefully) four year marathon. And, you're likely in the majority here if you think that they are so good - so game ready - as to leave them in ...regardless. I happen to think that they need rest, and a lot of it.
They haven't seen anything approaching what they will experience next week. For the record (call me a pessimist), I do not expect a win in Connecticut. I fully expect a very hostile crowd, and I fully expect that it will be OUR players in early foul trouble - namely Rennia Davis, Key, or Horston ...or perhaps all three. There's too much unwarranted love for the little fellow outside East Tennessee. So, anyone (and this is not directed at you) who thinks there's any chance of "early foul trouble" on the uconners, is in for a huge disappointment. In fact, I expect we'll have to play more of our bench, more than you, or I, or anyone might prefer. And, just maybe, some of the previous experience by our bench, will help hold back the looming storms.
So, I choose the long-term approach, the approach that Coach Kellie is utilizing. We need ALL of them to continually improve, improvement that can only truly be gained with playing time.

VN Store

Back