WNBA Draft 2019

Amb3096

3 words - Sophie Cunningham's outfit 🤯🤯🤯.

She'll be playing for Phoenix. Perhaps the B!tch in Waiting as Tauarasi's successor.

Was disappointed to see Minny grab Napheesa Collier. I was hoping LA would pick her up. Instead, they "settled" for Kalani Brown

3 words - Sophie Cunningham's outfit 🤯🤯🤯.

She'll be playing for Phoenix. Perhaps the B!tch in Waiting as Tauarasi's successor.

Was disappointed to see Minny grab Napheesa Collier. I was hoping LA would pick her up. Instead, they "settled" for Kalani Brown

I was just telling a friend that Cunningham is the first pick in this draft with a fitting destination...her and Taurasi will play as dirty as they like, I guess

Chloe Jackson's draft stock shot up big time. #15 to Chicago, joining earlier draft pick Samuelson from UConn. Not sure what that means for Diamond, though...unless they plan on bringing Katie off the bench. This probably makes Gabby Williams expendable, which is a shame. I really liked when her and Diamond were on the court together.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Awesome for Chloe!! I do feel like if Williams can't become productive offensively then she'll have problems finding a role this season. We'll see if she's developed overseas.

Chloe Jackson's draft stock shot up big time. #15 to Chicago, joining earlier draft pick Samuelson from UConn. Not sure what that means for Diamond, though...unless they plan on bringing Katie off the bench. This probably makes Gabby Williams expendable, which is a shame. I really liked when her and Diamond were on the court together.

A player like Chloe Jackson who can go get a bucket whenever she wants is always an asset! She put that on full display in the tournament, congratulations to her.

Megan finally got picked. Off to Dallas with #17.

The winner of the draft so far is Sophie's outfit. A++++.

Reactions: BreatheUT
A player like Chloe Jackson who can go get a bucket whenever she wants is always an asset! She put that on full display in the tournament, congratulations to her.

Lack of deep threat doesn't fit with Chicago's style, though. Especially with their weak post game, unless Coates has made significant strides since last year. I don't think Dolson is long for the Sky.

I see no problem with it. It's not a dress but it's more feminine than a Hillary Clinton pants suit. It's not trashy and she has nice youthful athletic legs.

Reactions: BUBear and Amb3096
Awesome for Chloe!! I do feel like if Williams can't become productive offensively then she'll have problems finding a role this season. We'll see if she's developed overseas.

I thought the same thing. Plus she (Gabby) cannot guard WNBA fours, and doesn't have the offensive skills to be a wing. She looked like such a complete college player, so it's shocking to see all of the holes in her game and that the UConn system made her look a lot better than she really was.

I like her energy though. I hope she's developed her game in the off season.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
I thought the same thing. Plus she (Gabby) cannot guard WNBA fours, and doesn't have the offensive skills to be a wing. She looked like such a complete college player, so it's shocking to see all of the holes in her game and that the UConn system made her look a lot better than she really was.

I like her energy though. I hope she's developed her game in the off season.

I suspect Samuelson will have similar challenges on the defensive end. The UCONN defense does such a nice job as a unit that it masks a lot of individual deficiencies. They become glaring at the next level.

Lack of deep threat doesn't fit with Chicago's style, though. Especially with their weak post game, unless Coates has made significant strides since last year. I don't think Dolson is long for the Sky.

That’s a good point, definitely no 3 point shot there. She distributes well though and finds gaps in the defense really nicely. I don’t think she’ll have much of a pro career, but she’s fun to watch.

That’s a good point, definitely no 3 point shot there. She distributes well though and finds gaps in the defense really nicely. I don’t think she’ll have much of a pro career, but she’s fun to watch.
I'm not sure that Chloe sticks with Chicago. They already have Sloot, Faulkner and Harper at PG. Not sure Chloe is good enough to take a spot from any of them, and her lack of outside shooting eliminates her as an option for SG. The could be trade or off the waiver material.

Reactions: VolBall09
Seattle pulled Gustafson and Anriel Howard, lucky!
Curious to see how they'll both do. Gustafson was near unstoppable in college, and that's while double teamed. She's another one where defense is probably what keeps her off the court.

Howard will fit in very nicely in Seattle as a wing. IMO, she's an upgrade over the girl they've got there now (can't remember her name...played for MTSU).

Interested to see what becomes of Maite Cazorla in Atlanta. She is a fabulous player and might be the steal of the draft. She’s even more of an offensive threat than she showed this season. Didn’t have to score as much with Ionescu, Hebard and Sabally playing so well. Best female player in the pick and roll as far as decision making since Sue Bird or Sloot IMO.

It looked exhausting to guard her, she uses screens to perfection and her defender has to work all night long whether she scores or not.

Reactions: Amb3096
I wondered where’d she go. I don’t see her game translating well to the WNBA

Hard to tell, she is deceptively physical and she’s so fundamentally sound she’s difficult to guard. I suspect she’s just too small though, not a lot of face-up game and it’ll be a task for her to score over the likes of Fowels, Griner, Cambage etc.

Can't remember who Atlanta has at backup PG, so not sure who Maite is up against for a roster spot. I do recall them having a lot of good combo guards.

Overall, this looks like a very deep draft. I see some names in the late 2nd/3rd round who could easily find themselves on final rosters. Caliya Robinson at Indiana is another late steal.

Did either of the Tennessee seniors put their names in for the draft?

Maci Morris with the last pick of the 3rd round to Seattle. The WNBA hotness quotient just skyrocketed...at least until she gets waived.

Training camp is going to be brutal. There are a lot of really good rookies knocking on the door, plus last year's graduates looking for a second shot at the league.

Reactions: T_Vol376
Hard to tell, she is deceptively physical and she’s so fundamentally sound she’s difficult to guard. I suspect she’s just too small though, not a lot of face-up game and it’ll be a task for her to score over the likes of Fowels, Griner, Cambage etc.
Despite Iowa's loss against Baylor, I thought she was fantastic in that game. Posted up really well, and had some amazing finishing moves deep in the paint against the infamous bigs. I think she'll be another steal for this team, and (sadly) a better go-to than Mercedes Russell.

Reactions: VolBall09
Despite Iowa's loss against Baylor, I thought she was fantastic in that game. Posted up really well, and had some amazing finishing moves deep in the paint against the infamous bigs. I think she'll be another steal for this team, and (sadly) a better go-to than Mercedes Russell.

Russell's time in Seattle may be coming to an end, since the Storm drafted a post in the first round.

Credit to Jackie Young, Napheesa Collier, Katie Samuelson and Sophie Cunningham for showing that athletic and hotness are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Rixxx and VolBall09

VN Store

Back