With the game being 1 day away...

(OrangeAndBlue @ Feb 21 said:
I'm not saying that no other team's fans hate other teams in the SEC, but I think the most hatred in general is toward the Gators. Of course every team is going to have their rivals and what not who they are naturally going to hate, but probably outside of that, I'm sure a lot of other SEC fans would say they hate UF outside of that. If you asked a Kentucky fan which school they hated more, UF or UT - uhh I'm pretty sure you know what they'd say 4 times out of 5, same goes for many of the other programs. Its no big deal, and I wouldn't chracterize it as an ego booster, but if you were a Gator fan, you'd probably notice it...oh well...keep thinking I'm crazy.

O&B you need to travel the SEC and you will find out. People do hate UF and have a reason too. Trash and lack of class. But if you don't let them know who you are a fan of you will find out the big boys are the most hated and envied. Hell even Razorbacks hate/Envy UT.

Face it. Your the 3rd most recognized school in the State of Florida and are a johnny come lateley on the secene of the SEC. Sorry to break it to you kid.

(LadyinOrange @ Feb 21 said:
Well, I DO hate Florida and I don't care who knows it. :biggrin2:

I understand and join you in your hatred. But what were talking about is the level of hatred.

You know when you think about it, it really is pretty sad. The only way the poor Gators can have any self esteem is to think they are the most hated program. Not envied or copied. But hated! Poor little Gators. :no:

I believe UF is an annoyance more than anything. Do I hate losing to them? Yes, but that goes for every other school in the nation. As a long time UT fan I reserve my purest hatred for Bama.

(jessiej86 @ Feb 21 said:
I believe UF is an annoyance more than anything. Do I hate losing to them? Yes, but that goes for every other school in the nation. As a long time UT fan I reserve my purest hatred for Bama.

Spoken (written) like a true southern gentleman of the highest degree.

(GAVol @ Feb 21 said:
There's some truth to that, but it sounds like an ego trip to me.
I laugh every time I hear people use this excuse. Florida is different from a lot of other states in the SEC, but GAINESVILLE is as red as any place you'll go in the SEC.

Take UT and put campus smack dab in the middle of Dollywood and that will give a perfect representation of what Gainesville is.

If you asked a Kentucky fan which school they hated more, UF or UT - uhh I'm pretty sure you know what they'd say 4 times out of 5, same goes for many of the other programs. Its no big deal, and I wouldn't chracterize it as an ego booster, but if you were a Gator fan, you'd probably notice it...oh well...keep thinking I'm crazy.

There is no way UF is a bigger rival of Kentucky than UT. UT-UK is the second longest win streak in the nation (22 straight for Vols). Most of UK's student body wasn't even alive the last time the Cats came out on top. Also, I recall Brodie Croyle saying in an interview that he wanted to beat UT this past year even more than Auburn. Suppposedly AUB-Bama is the "greatest rivalry in college football." Just goes to show, UT is as strong a rival of almost any SEC school as Florida.

:boredom:

Yawn all you want, but it's true. The difference between Valdosta, GA and Gainesville, FL is that the college has more students.

(GAVol @ Feb 21 said:
Yawn all you want, but it's true. The difference between Valdosta, GA and Gainesville, FL is that the college has more students.
:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: How TRUE is that!!!!

(rockytopscott @ Feb 21 said:
It amazes me that Florida fans still talk about Spurrier. He's gone, move on.

It's almost as bad as Dawg fans still talking about their 1980 National Championship. Believe me, they do, non stop.

Especially while making fun of Bama fans for talking about the Bear.

:focus:

that's ok, one day we'll all be talking about Phil that way..... :biggrin2:

(jakez4ut @ Feb 21 said:
:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: How TRUE is that!!!!

Valdosta .... yikes! :ermm:

When driving down to Florida on I-75, it's best to keep driving past those exits!

Wow, such venom on this thread versus my beloved alma mater (twice over). I'll chalk it up to you guys being nervouse about the game tomorrow night.

In any event, here's hoping for a hard-fought contest with no injuries and some excitement for us fans!!

No venom from me, I just thought the article was complete garbage. :D

Here's to a good game tomorrow night. :toast:

(lawgator1 @ Feb 21 said:
Wow, such venom on this thread versus my beloved alma mater (twice over). I'll chalk it up to you guys being nervouse about the game tomorrow night.

In any event, here's hoping for a hard-fought contest with no injuries and some excitement for us fans!!
gator fan opened this can of worms not us

If you asked a Kentucky fan which school they hated more, UF or UT - uhh I'm pretty sure you know what they'd say 4 times out of 5, same goes for many of the other programs.

I live in Kentucky, and I'll state unequivocally that the answer to that is UT. Aside from that schitzophrenic Pitino induced masochistic love/hate thing they've got with Louisville and that weird jealous rage they feel toward the Dukies, there is no team that comes close to getting under the skins of Cat fans like the Vols. And actually, most of the ones I know see Florida as the obnoxious little brother of the conference, helped in part by that slick haired Pitino-lite coach down there. Ask Cat fans if they would rather win the east and lose in Knoxville or beat UT and finish 5th. I think you'll get a different answer than if you ask the same question about Florida.

As for me, I hate Florida more than any other conference rival, so the article may have some merit. However, if you include all teams, they'd be a close second behind the Cats, whose 20-something game loosing streak in football and lousy history in every other sport that doesn't involve Ashley Judd takes them out of the rival category. Now if Navy could just beat Notre Dame...

EDIT: I don't like Bama either.

EDIT: Or Auburn. Or Georgia. Or LSU or Arkansas or South Carolina. I don't really care about the Mississippi teams, and Vandy is kind of cute.

OK, I'll chime in on this since UF fans just don't get it. UF may be disliked but that doesn't mean a rivalry. You have tried to make yourselves the villains of the SEC just so that you will even have a reputation, any reputation. Prior to 1990, playing UF was considered a hit to your SOS. Then Spur came along and added some spice. Another 50 years and we might have something. You see, SEC football is about the great storied programs and games of the past and present. It's about hearing your dad tell you about Dewey Warren leading a bowl game comeback when he was in school. Or your mom showing you her "Archie Who?" button from college. It's about your granddad, who lives in B-ham, hanging a picture of him and Bear @ a coaching awards banquet. And yes, it's still about NC's in the '90's (we both got one) and the games played now. However, I will be telling my son about how I watched the Bama streak begin and then end in '95. I watched Bo Jackson, Vinny Testaverde and Eddie George all get beat down by my beloved Big Orange. I'll tell them I watched one of the all-time greatest QB's play in Neyland (he'll know who he is by then). I will mention the 98 UF/UT game because it was a classic but the series might not really make it. UF fans just fail to realize there's so much more to this than just the game.

FWIW, my :twocents:

And on a side note: A team from another conf. never does the chomp when they beat another SEC team. However they do play Rocky Top...

(utvolpj @ Feb 21 said:
And on a side note: A team from another conf. never does the chomp when they beat another SEC team. However they do play Rocky Top...

:lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove: :lolabove:

VN Store

Back