With an all SEC schedule now, what's considered a good record?

If your record was projected at 10-2 with your normal 8 game SEC and other OC games would 7-3 be considered a respectable record with 10 SEC games and no cupcakes. I think we will have to reconsider what's a good record now. Depending on who VOls get as our 2 add games, maybe 6-4 could be considered a good record for this season. Bowl games may have to consider 5-5 teams this season to.

10-0

8-9 wins against arguably the toughest schedule in the nation ?! Tennessee is officially back. GB🍊

Theres too many unknowns right now. Who are the other teams we play? When will we play who? That all makes a difference. If we draw Georgia or LSU early, I like our chances with both teams having overhauled offenses. But I'm gonna wait and see everyone's new schedule before I predict.

Tough to say this because I "like" Pruitt better than I ever did Jones... but he needs to start competing and winning against some of the upper tier teams.

People still have this conception that a coach can take many years to rebuild a program. They can't. To keep the recruits coming, you have to prove you can coach. He's had time to get some players. He's had time to develop them. He's had time to establish his system.

He has to prove he can get it done on the field now.
JG is the key.....He is a very unpredictable starter....After he's gone then you'll see some immediate improvement across the board because it will be a new start and the uncertainty around the QB position will hopefully be settled.

Tough to say this because I "like" Pruitt better than I ever did Jones... but he needs to start competing and winning against some of the upper tier teams.

People still have this conception that a coach can take many years to rebuild a program. They can't. To keep the recruits coming, you have to prove you can coach. He's had time to get some players. He's had time to develop them. He's had time to establish his system.

He has to prove he can get it done on the field now.
It took a long time to get in this dumpster fire. It will take just as long to get out. ANY Vol coach should be held to showing improvement year over year, with these years MAX as benchmark standards.
Get his guys, win most games that we are "supposed to win"...... 3 years
Win all games we are supposed to win.......2 years
Win games against the big three...2 years
SEC titles

A good coach should be able to obtain these goals in a total rebuild . I too believe the recruits must come. All teams win at the level they recruit.

JG is the key.....He is a very unpredictable starter....After he's gone then you'll see some immediate improvement across the board because it will be a new start and the uncertainty around the QB position will hopefully be settled.
It is the key to everything. Can our QB room get us to perform well enough to keep this great recruiting class?

My question is, if JG plays like dog pee and we bench him, will we keep him there?!?
Otherwise I see ZERO point in throwing him back out there and if we do I will lose some faith in Pruitt.

Truthfully I don't see much of a point to play him at all. I love the guy, he has fought hard, but we got other QB's that are at least as good as he is with the potential to get better on the roster now and we can expedite their growth by giving them playing time so they can lead more talented team's in 2021 and 22.

But JG should have a chance. But if he goes out there and is a head case all over again just give it up for Vols sake and his sake!

Reactions: 08Vol
It took a long time to get in this dumpster fire. It will take just as long to get out. ANY Vol coach should be held to showing improvement year over year, with these years MAX as benchmark standards.
That is a nice way to think of it... that simply isn't realistic. There were many who argued that Jones had made year over year improvement. But recruits saw Jones underperforming his talent... and with the help of opposing recruiters stopped believing his schtick.

Get his guys, win most games that we are "supposed to win"...... 3 years
Win all games we are supposed to win.......2 years
Win games against the big three...2 years
SEC titles
You wrongly assume that much time can be given. It can't. Recruits have to believe that THEY will win and play for championships or else you are lapping up the leftovers... and if you're doing that you NEVER get the guys you need to become more competitive. The very best recruits go to guys who show they can give them their best shot at the NFL AND to proven winners.

This is a cruel reality. But what you are talking about is effectively a plan for sustained mediocrity.... and even that isn't possible.

A good coach should be able to obtain these goals in a total rebuild . I too believe the recruits must come. All teams win at the level they recruit.
But you think you can recruit players to a plan to be competing for championships only AFTER they're gone?

Realistically... he needs to win all of the games he "should" win this year plus one or two of the more iffy ones. If he doesn't, there are no pitches that will keep the talent coming needed to take the next step up.

IF JG is the starter this year... all year... then I think that next starting QB call will determine Pruitt's fate at UT. I truly hope he gets it right.

6-4 is acceptable. 7-3 would be commendable. Anything above that would be amazing. 5-5 would be disappointing, and finally a losing record would make me worried about Pruitt as head ball coach

I'd say 6-4 or 5-5 considering all our unknowns at QB & receivers/TE.
L's to Bama UGA LSU & Florida & one toss up between UK /Ole Miss/USCe
that's reasonable
but with my orange shades i'll say
8 & 2
yep normally a bit north of .500 is a solid record in the SEC..add in 3-4 gimmies and you have 9 wins..but this year 6-4 is probable.

VN Store

Back