Wiseman ineligible

Apparently the TSSAA and NCAA were told all the information about the move and payments. The payment was also a loan to be paid back. The NCAA cleared him in May and they don't have any new info according to a friend, well he was my former lawyer. Anyway there's an update.
Thanks for the update. Now they can take the next step and ask for receipts showing that payments are being made back. Still a bad look. PH could have directed Wisemen to a lender and at a minimum been a co-signer to some-what shield himself from future scrutiny. It doesn't matter really because PH has some loose screws. No good coach would put his team in this position. It's a major distraction.

I'm no Penny fan, but "fried?" Geeze, tough crowd up in here.
My bad......I thought everyone would understand that I wasnt saying he would literally get the death sentence. I meant, to be clear, that he would get a show-cause that would take him out of basketball for a designated period of time. Hope that is clear now.

My bad......I thought everyone would understand that I wasnt saying he would literally get the death sentence. I meant, to be clear, that he would get a show-cause that would take him out of basketball for a designated period of time. Hope that is clear now.

Ha. All good man. Just giving you a hard time. I could understand him getting a life-sentence, just thought straight to the chair was a bit drastic!

He didn't. The material facts have been provided to the NCAA (most likely from UK) after the initial May eligibility determination.

Well, the reporting I have read said the money given to the family was disclosed in May. And he was ruled eligible in May.

The “new” fact, as I understand it, is that they changed their view of Hardaway to be a booster 6 months later based on a donation he made when Wiseman was roughly 7 years old. Perhaps Kentucky will release an article or something to clean this up if incorrect reporting is going on.

Apparently the TSSAA and NCAA were told all the information about the move and payments. The payment was also a loan to be paid back. The NCAA cleared him in May and they don't have any new info according to a friend, well he was my former lawyer. Anyway there's an update.

The only problem is that your "friend's" account differs from the University's statement from last night that stated there was new information...

If your friend's account of the events is correct, then Wiseman should be eligible. But, I think you are getting a sanitized version of events....

If the NCAA deems Penny to be a booster now vs in May because of the 2008 donation, then Wiseman should be eligible. That 2008 donation was public knowledge

In a case like this, I feel pretty sure there is a lot of erroneous information being passed around. Clearly, unless the NCAA comes out publicly and explains the new charges (which they won't), everything is pure speculation. I seriously doubt that they cleared Tiger High in May, then came back in November with nothing new, only to effectively say "we changed our minds." Surely, something else came to light, but who knows.

If Penny was deemed a booster prior to him getting the job at Memphis then it’s pretty cut and dry to me. 1.) Wiseman should be ineligible. 2.) Penny suspended at minimum the entire season, if not given a show cause. 3.) Memphis gets a postseason ban for at least this year.

There is no way that restraining order will hold up in court if Penny was deemed a booster. This is the definition of receiving impermissible benefits.

I think most of you know I live in Memphis. Hear is an article that explains the situation pretty well. Also, I believe you can throw UT in as well of schools who get ****ed by the NCAA.

Calkins: Memphis declares war on the NCAA - The Daily Memphian
This article makes things a lot more clearer from the university's stand-point. The flaw in the NCAA is the fact that they change their stance on a whim and with barely any notice to the affected party. That's pure BS and I'm glad someone is standing up to them on that. This is a bad case where both parties are in the wrong to some degree. Definitely gonna be interesting going forward.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
I agree that the rule that caused the BBQ to be a violation is stupid but Pearl had the choice to admit a secondary violation or LIE to the NCAA. He chose to lie.

What will do Penny in isnt that he gave the money to Wiseman but that he knows he has co
Exactly and if Penny misrepresented or lied about what occurred to the 'AA's eligibility review of Wiseman then he has problems which would be compounded given I assume he has signed the annual attestment as a head coach that he knows of no violations associated with his program.

We all know the 'AA is corrupt...if it turns out Penny lied then it will be interesting to see if they treat Penny the same Pearl, Tyndall, Tressel, etc...

I don't think he knew when it happened. This was before college and before Penny got the job. But forget Penny, what about Chase Young? That is a bunch of ****. Same as most kids who are in trouble. How do these kids go on dates? They can't work. The NCAA really needs to get with the times.

I agree that the rule that caused the BBQ to be a violation is stupid but Pearl had the choice to admit a secondary violation or LIE to the NCAA. He chose to lie.

What will do Penny in isnt that he gave the money to Wiseman but that he knows he has committed a violation and has attested to the fact that he isnt aware of NCAA violations (just like Tressel at OSU).

It's not the crime, it's the coverup...

Yea but it is completely irrational for a BBQ to be wrong in the 1st place.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
This article makes things a lot more clearer from the university's stand-point. The flaw in the NCAA is the fact that they change their stance on a whim and with barely any notice to the affected party. That's pure BS and I'm glad someone is standing up to them on that. This is a bad case where both parties are in the wrong to some degree. Definitely gonna be interesting going forward.

Yea I am glad someone is stepping up and doing this. I think they have a better case than many think. Also, the use of 'likely ineligible' seems the NCAA is giving them some room to back out imo.

Yea but it is completely irrational for a BBQ to be wrong in the 1st place.
It was not that the BBQ was in some form wrong, but rather during that timeframe in the calendar, coaches were not allowed to have recruits at their home. Pearl knew this and decided to chance it anyway, and paid the ultimate price.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Really wish UT would sue NCAA on our player ineligibility. Time to stop this insanity.
Unfortunately, suing an organization that can ultimately control your fate is usually not a good move. The NCAA has had too many examples of erratic justice, and no one knows what they could do.

It was not that the BBQ was in some form wrong, but rather during that timeframe in the calendar, coaches were not allowed to have recruits at their home. Pearl knew this and decided to chance it anyway, and paid the ultimate price.

But why are they not allowed to visit whenever? On the other hand, how many recruits would we have lost if the went to Lyle and Barb's place?

No. No other facts were given.

If that's the case, then Wiseman should be eligible. If the NCAA changed their mind on a whim, then I hope Memphis whips their a-$.

With that being said, there's been rumors of eligibility issues for a few weeks and Memphis hasnt been truthful with the local media. They told Gary Parrish about a week ago there were no eligibility issues yet this comes out. Because of this, I take what they've leaked to Calkins for the PR story with a grain of salt..

Reactions: cardvolfan
But why are they not allowed to visit whenever? On the other hand, how many recruits would we have lost if the went to Lyle and Barb's place?
College basketball and football have dead periods, etc that really do make some sense if you know why those restrictions are put in place. They are actually used to protect players and to protect coaches to an extent. The time periods are well-known to coaches, and there has to be some accountability to have some sense of order. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just what my experience has been with knowledge of some of these rules.

Reactions: Vols All Day
If that's the case, then Wiseman should be eligible. If the NCAA changed their mind on a whim, then I hope Memphis whips their a-$.

With that being said, there's been rumors of eligibility issues for a few weeks and Memphis hasnt been truthful with the local media. They told Gary Parrish about a week ago there were no eligibility issues yet this comes out. Because of this, I take what they've leaked to Calkins for the PR story with a grain of salt..

They just found out on Tuesday or Thursday I believe. Honestly I don't keep up with Memphis much, just when I ask lol. So, if he and the University found out last week then they probably didn't know. Get past Calkins and Penny for a sec. The President Rudd is backing them. We would be lucky to have a president like him. Maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we were in for 15 years in Football. I hope they win. And think they do. Just my opionion.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
College basketball and football have dead periods, etc that really do make some sense if you know why those restrictions are put in place. They are actually used to protect players and to protect coaches to an extent. The time periods are well-known to coaches, and there has to be some accountability to have some sense of order. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just what my experience has been with knowledge of some of these rules.

So the NCAA cares so much about protecting kids with a dead period, they won't let then make money with a job, likeliness, and many other ways. The NCAA doesn't care about the kids at all. Can we disagree on that?

So the NCAA cares so much about protecting kids with a dead period, they won't let then make money with a job, likeliness, and many other ways. The NCAA doesn't care about the kids at all. Can we disagree on that?
For me to say "the NCAA doesn't care about the kids" as a blanket statement that's true about the NCAA.....I couldn't say that. I think there are plenty of folks within that organization that do care about kids, and probably others that may not.

VN Store

Back