Winslow comments after the game

The only soldier I see is 2003 Freak getting in the trenches and fighting to get volnation.com rolling. I think he did ok.
View attachment 529455

@Freak putting in the work. Created a complete monster and Undisputed Forum Champion of the World as evidenced by not just Vol fans, but the number of fans from other teams that are members here as well.

@Freak putting in the work. Created a complete monster and Undisputed Forum Champion of the World as evidenced by not just Vol fans, but the number of fans from other teams that are members here as well.
I love checking out other teams forums to see what their fans are saying. Everytime I’m always astounded by how terrible their forums are. There’s no comparison, VolNation is the most readable, user friendly and put together forum of any other schools forum.

Freak deserves an award for it

The good ole days

Back when my oldest was in preschool and another one wasn't a thought yet. I remember when he first said it. Winslow was actually thought of as a good guy at the time because of his dad. He picked up where Jeremy Shockley left off on incredibly talented UofM teams.

It's funny to reflect back on the trajectories of the "Big 3." Gridscape, VolQuest, and VolNation.

Once upon a time, Gridscape was what Tiger Rant / SEC Rant is now - back in the 90s, the UT football forum was the mothership for UT message boards, the SUmmitT practically was the national women's basketball forum, and the "The Opponents" forum was popping off with constant traffic. It was huge, but the changes and redesigned kept bringing it down further and further, and then the paywalled content killed the conversation traffic.

VolQuest used to have a super active main forum, and arguably moved ahead of Gridscape for a good stretch leading into the 2000s. I remember being on their live chat for the 2002 recruiting class - the monster one with Mapu and all those. What a night. Ring that recruiting bell, boys! But, again, as with Gridscape, interface changes and driving people to the paywalled content just kind of killed any conversations that weren't from subscribers.

And then there was VolNation. The most accessible forums, cleanest interface, best experience. Looking back now, its victory seems inevitable. I am grateful for having had this place to talk about the Vols all these years - and equally grateful that Freak's approach to management has been (at least, from my perspective) entirely about empowering Vol fans to talk about the Vols. It really is the best managed college football forum / site on the internet; I can't think of many others that come close to this level of accessibility (though some use the same architecture).

Last edited:
What next GridScape deep dive?

View attachment 529465

Man. Gridscape was the best thing ever invented …. That was like 1995 and we had dial up internet ….I’ll never forget the Syracuse emoji from that board and all of the delicious fights with Bama fans as they went on massive probation and we went to elite status…..

That’s a nice way of putting it. I can barely understand me. Lol.

I was much more easily riled up in my younger days.
Lil crazy with the emojis wuntchu? Imagine that from me. 😉

VN Store

Back