Williams and Bone invited to combine

Bone is in a tough spot. He's better than most of the guards that will be called before him but I don't think he'll go in the 1st round. It's a tough gamble. He could be an All American next season and not be in anyone's shadow but risk injury and a roster that's not as good as last years. I have no clue how deep the PG class is next season but I could see him going top 15.

Bone doesn't think his NBA draft stock will get any higher by coming back and he doesn't want to come back. No bad feelings, but he is just ready to move on. Going into this process Grant was more likely to come back than Bone. His combine testing has him in the late 2nd round discussion. Most likely he ends up overseas or in the G League.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Bone would absolutely dominate the SEC next season if he came back. The team wouldn’t be as good as last year, but it would be smaller ball and still highly competitive. The team’s identity would also be different as it would revolve around its perimeter players (Bone, Turner, Bowden, and eventually James) and it wouldn’t play as much inside-out.

I think Bone’s stock would improve with a senior season, but probably not enough to make a big difference. I thinks he stays in the draft.

He'd be a surefire first rounder and probably lottery pick next year. He will get picked up, but one more year of college ball and guaranteed money in the NBA is better than non guaranteed and probably a shorter deal as a 2nd round pick.

He'd be a surefire first rounder and probably lottery pick next year. He will get picked up, but one more year of college ball and guaranteed money in the NBA is better than non guaranteed and probably a shorter deal as a 2nd round pick.
No he wouldn't.

Reactions: B EaZy40
No he wouldn't.
Good one. Look we get you aren't a UT fan, you can get off our board now. No UT player is good enough to get drafted to you probably. You have 14 posts, almost all of which are something negative and in response to me. I already put you on ignore, but my goodness get a life.

Good one. Look we get you aren't a UT fan, you can get off our board now. No UT player is good enough to get drafted to you probably. You have 14 posts, almost all of which are something negative and in response to me. I already put you on ignore, but my goodness get a life.
So I have to think all of our players are NBA first rounders to be a fan? Plenty of great college players aren't first rounders. Josh Bone is not a first round NBA draft prospect, even if he comes back next season, and definitely not a lottery pick. To even suggest that tells me that you aren't familiar with the NBA draft and how that league views prospects.

But hey, I guess I have to sunshine pump everyone on our roster to be a fan. Good to know.

So I have to think all of our players are NBA first rounders to be a fan? Plenty of great college players aren't first rounders. Josh Bone is not a first round NBA draft prospect, even if he comes back next season, and definitely not a lottery pick. To even suggest that tells me that you aren't familiar with the NBA draft and how that league views prospects.

But hey, I guess I have to sunshine pump everyone on our roster to be a fan. Good to know.
No, I'm sure Josh bone will never be a first round pick since he's like 28 years old. Jordan on the other hand might be. I'm very familiar with it actually. I can see how the most athletic point guard in the draft would be off putting to you. I can probably see how is elite vision might be a negative for you. He's clearly better/ has a high potential than jevon Carter, ellie okobo, and Jalen Brunson are. They went 31-33 in a much deeper draft than next year's or this year's draft. So yeah, given his elite athleticism, elite vision, and improving floor game I could see him being a first round pick, potentially even a lottery pick next year. Doesn't mean he will, and I'm sure you think he'll either won't be drafted, or won't make a team. I'm not even sunshine pumping, I just literally given an honest opinion of him. Any positive remark about one of our players constitutes as sunshine pumping to you though. You're a troll. You think everyone on our team sucks. They shouldn't even try since our resident NBA scout said so

No, I'm sure Josh bone will never be a first round pick since he's like 28 years old. Jordan on the other hand might be. I'm very familiar with it actually. I can see how the most athletic point guard in the draft would be off putting to you. I can probably see how is elite vision might be a negative for you. He's clearly better/ has a high potential than jevon Carter, ellie okobo, and Jalen Brunson are. They went 31-33 in a much deeper draft than next year's or this year's draft. So yeah, given his elite athleticism, elite vision, and improving floor game I could see him being a first round pick, potentially even a lottery pick next year. Doesn't mean he will, and I'm sure you think he'll either won't be drafted, or won't make a team. I'm not even sunshine pumping, I just literally given an honest opinion of him. Any positive remark about one of our players constitutes as sunshine pumping to you though. You're a troll. You think everyone on our team sucks. They shouldn't even try since our resident NBA scout said so
Again, who on here have I said sucks? Not one person. Show me one comment I have made about any of our draft eligible players that is clearly dishonest. You can't. I just disagree entirely with your take on his chances as an NBA first round pick if he came back, especially that lottery talk. That kind of talk is based on you being a fan and not really looking at the NBA draft and him as a prospect. Do you know how many seniors have gone in the lottery the last 7 years or so? I believe 3 or 4. Jimmer Fredette, Buddy Hield, Doug McDermott, and I think one more that I am forgetting. Those 3 were ELITE college basketball stars. I can't see Bone reaching that level coming back. 4 year college players rarely go in the first round, and it's even more rare that they go in the lottery. This isn't the NFL draft.

Brunson won a national title while averaging 19/gm and shooting 40% from 3. He left after his 3rd year. You're going to be on an island thinking Bone is better than Brunson. Bone is quicker and more explosive but Brunson is a much better basketball player than Bone.

Carter is very different from Bone as a player, but at least he was a 4 year guy. Carter was a bulldog defensively and averaged 17/gm while shooting 39.3% from 3. He was drafted as a 3 and D prospect. He is much stronger and thicker than Bone which allows him to get into the body of guys that are taller than him. I mentioned that is how Admiral is viewed as a prospect which is why he has a good chance of sticking around the NBA for a decade or so. He was a 4 year guy though.

Okobo played in France I believe, so comparing his numbers are a little different, but guess what, he shot 39.4% the year he was drafted.

Bone shot 35.5% from 3 last season. He has elite quickness and burst and showed a much better vertical at the combine than he showed on film. This year's draft isn't very deep, which is why Bone is staying in it. Next year's draft is thought to be really good at PG with the HS class of 2019. If Bone isn't getting a first round grade this season, he isn't going to get one next season with a better PG group of the one and done variety. Bone doesn't have the necessary size to play or guard a different position which hurts his draft stock. He isn't near big enough to guard a 2 in the league, so you are going to have to hide him somewhat defensively. The NBA combine had all the players switch everything defensively because that is where the NBA game is right now. You can live with a defensive liability but they have to be elite level offensive players. I question whether Bone will ever be that kind of guy at the NBA level, as do scouts, which is why he isn't a first round player at all.

I am very much a UT fan. I also like some things that Bone is able to do on the basketball court. But if he did come back, moot point, it would be very unlikely he could work his way into a lottery pick.

I am very much a UT fan. I also like some things that Bone is able to do on the basketball court. But if he did come back, moot point, it would be very unlikely he could work his way into a lottery pick.
That's more than he's ever said. Probably not in the lottery, but potentially. PG is the most important positions. Seniors don't typically go in the lottery, but it does happen. Also wasn't talking to you. All the other guy does is say our players aren't good enough to stick in the NBA, but also flip flops on it. Said admiral was a fringe NBA player then said he's going to be a 10 year player. Not sure how those two statements make sense together.

I think Bone should be a first round pick this year, now there's almost no chance that happens, but I think he's probably the 4th best PG available.

Mikal bridges went 10th last year despite being a RS senior. Grayson Allen was early 20s, Aaron Holliday as well, both were older upperclassmen guards. All came back and improved their draft stick significantly from the previous year. And that was in last year's loaded class. I think Bone could do the same since he would be the guy. If he averaged 17 points and 6 assists, he'd be a first round pick next year.

Someone said that he'd be a defensive liability as well. He's never been great defensively, but far from a liability. He's 6-3, so an average sized PG in the league. As far as guarding SG in the league, it just depends on matchups. A lot of teams play two PG lineups (particularly in crunch time). McCollum is a SG, but is only 6-3. Kyle Lowry plays SG when him and van vleet share the floor and he's 6-1. He's not as weak as people might claim, but I'm sure he could stand to get stronger.

Kris Dunn was a 4 year guy with similar numbers to bone that went 5th in 2016. Someone claimed it's only happened 3-4 times in 7 years, but I've found like 10 in the last 5 years. There's 6 in 2016 alone, plus a few more in the 15-17 range. It happens literally all the time.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can say they know who will be a garaunteed lottery pick. NBA teams needs, injuries and anything can happen. Now my opinion is he could improve his stock by playing his last year.That depends on how he would perform but we will more than likely never know because he will stay in the draft and be drafted. IMO

VN Store

Back